Search Unity

Proper way to get references to playerspawns?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Napoleonite, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Napoleonite

Napoleonite

I made a quick prefab so I can easily add playerspawns to the levels. However, how do I get the reference to these playerspawns? I don't want to use tags (unless you can convince me otherwise) because those loop through all of the gameobjects, slowing down the loading of a new level unnecessarily.

Every playable level has one or more of these prefabs.

I can't use the GameSettings singleton class because I can't drag the spawns from the level into the singleton (which is only created in the first scene, and then never destroyed). How does one do this properly?

Code (CSharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class PlayerSpawn : MonoBehaviour {
    7.    #region Members
    8.   public string GizmoTexture = "PlayerSpawnGizmo.png";
    9.   public float Icon_Y_Offset = 1;
    10.   private const float PLAYER_HEIGHT = 3;
    11.   private const float FACING_ARROW_LENGTH = 1.5f;
    12.    #endregion
    14.   void OnDrawGizmos()
    15.   {
    16.   Gizmos.DrawIcon(transform.position + (Icon_Y_Offset * Vector3.up), GizmoTexture);
    17.   Gizmos.color = Color.yellow;
    18.   Vector3 cube_center_addition = (PLAYER_HEIGHT / 2) * Vector3.up; // A vector3 that represents half the player-size upwards.
    19.   Gizmos.DrawWireCube(transform.position + cube_center_addition, new Vector3(1, PLAYER_HEIGHT, 1));
    20.   Gizmos.DrawLine(transform.position + cube_center_addition, transform.position + (FACING_ARROW_LENGTH * Vector3.forward) + cube_center_addition);
    21.   }
    22. }
    Note that the same problem applies to many other prefabs like EnemySpawners. I place, let's say 5 EnemySpawners in some towerdefense game in the level. And every 10 seconds I need to retrieve the reference to those spawners so that I know where to spawn them, what direction they face, etc.

Or should I create a new singleton like public class LevelInfo that is recreated in every level? And that I drag that onto an empty gameobject in every level?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  2. GroZZleR

GroZZleR

What if they registered themselves to the appropriate system or list?

Code (csharp):
    2. void Awake()
    3. {
    4.      GameManager.AddSpawnPoint(this.gameObject);
    5. }

Napoleonite likes this.
  3. Napoleonite

Napoleonite

Why didn't I think of that... That is a fantastic idea!

4. Stardog

Stardog

Or send a PlayerSpawned event when they spawn. Then any script can listen to that.

5. Napoleonite

Napoleonite

Events could work. But in general I don't want to trigger every spawn for just one player or one enemy. In most of the cases I only need to address one single spawner (or other object) out of a list of many. I just want to say:

spawnplayer(spawners.random, boltconnection)

Now if each spawner just registers itself on Awake() then I have a guaranteed reference to that list without having to add something myself to every level.