Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ProjectSettings.asset field positions change on every save (affecting source control)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by PeachyPixels, Jun 18, 2021.

1. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hello,

I've noticed that every time a change is made to the ProjectSettings.asset file, the locations (not the values) of the following fields are changed...

EnterpriseAuthentication
    InternetClient

Which means they trigger a source control delta that requires discarding.

You can't ignore this file (in source control) and committing the file only temporarily resolves the issue until the next time the file is modified (at which point, the fields move again!)

I've filed a bug report (case 1344176) but just wondering if anybody else is experiencing this?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

That's kind of annoying. Waaaaaay back in the day when Unity first started using YAML to serialize scene files they also were not stable, probably a function of the arbitrary order the keys were pulled out of internal dictionaries.

They subsequently made most YAML files stable, or at least as stable as alphanumeric keying would allow.

It sounds like perhaps the same bug is back but only in this one piece of code that writes the pieces you see above.

3. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Thanks @Kurt-Dekker.

Yes definitely a tad annoying.

I've only been using Unity for around three years and haven't seen this behaviour before. It was only after upgrading to 2020 that I started to experience it.

Based on your comments, hopefully it'll be addressed at some point though. Hopefully.