Search Unity

Bug Projects vanish from the Hub

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Rowlan, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

Projects vanish from the Hub for no reason. I suspect it's an auto-removal thing when a project can't be found. And there I suspect the Hub just removes it when it can't access it because the hard disk is spinning up from hibernation.

Is there some log where I can check when a project is removed?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

So you are saying if you don't allow the PC to hibernate, then the projects show up? The Hub would not be deleting projects. Did you check the file system with Finder (Mac)/File Explorer (Windows), where are/were they located? Please share a screenshot.

3. Rowlan

Rowlan

No, they are not deleted. They are removed from the Hub's registry. When does that happen?

I noticed they are removed automatically from the list of projects after I deleted them manually using Explorer and the Hub can't find them anymore.

Could it be the case that the Hub also removes them when the hard disk with the projects on it is spinning up from hibernation (ie idle mode, when it was spinning down and is spinning up on drive access)?

Or is the size of the list of projects limited?

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

If the projects are still in your file system, just add them back to the Hub. I already answered your spinning disk question. Yes, they are removed automatically from the Hub (NOT from the file system) if you manually delete them from the file system, that's a good thing and is expected behavior. Can you answer my question, if you don't hibernate then they don't go missing? Can you consistently reproduce that projects don't show in the Hub after hibernation? I suppose it's possible actually, I haven't tested. Can you confirm?

5. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's not "just add them back". Almost half of the time I want to access a project I can't find it in the Hub because it's gone from the list and I have to re-add it manually. I have them split on 4 different SSDs. Many projects.

It's only a good thing when they don't exist, but it's a bad thing when they exist and are removed from the Hub without reason.

Please excuse my wording. It's not hibernation. It's whatever it's called when the hard disk spins down when it's not being used for 20 minutes.

Projects are never deleted physically by the Hub.

I haven't yet tried to reproduce it, but now that I have to manage 100+ projects it's becoming annoying and a waste of time when I have to first search for a project only to not find it in the hub when I already put it there.

I'll keep my eye on it. Are there other scenarios when projects are removed from the Hub?

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Not that I'm aware of. If the Hub can't find a project (has been deleted from the file system or a SSD or external drive is not connected) it won't show. That's the theory anyway!

7. Rowlan

Rowlan

I have it. It got nothing to do with the hard disk. Someone hardcoded a limit of 40 projects into the Hub.

8. mgear

mgear

i don't think it actually removes them from registry, it is just not shown in the list.
    (at least on a quick test, if close hub, rename project folder, start hub, the registry entry still exists)

but the limit is 40 projects, *was mentioned: for compatibility https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-hub-bug-missing-projects-at-random.998048/#post-6762358

i think best work around (until that limit is improved),
    is to add direct desktop shortcuts to those (long term projects), so can always launch them (even if it has disappeared from top 40 list)

Rowlan and JeffDUnity3D like this.
  9. Rowlan

Rowlan

Yup, thank you, that's it. I honestly did not expect the reason of projects to vanish to be that ridiculous.

This way the Hub has become absolutely useless for me. At least for launching projects from there.

a436t4ataf likes this.
  10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yeah, I see where that would be a problem, I wasn't aware of the 40 project limit. Agreed, that would be difficult to have to add the projects back to the Hub each time just to open them. I would hope it would be the "most recent 40" but it sounds like that is not the case.

11. Rowlan

Rowlan

Yeah, it's at random, not the oldest going out. But at least the cause is found. I hope it's solvable :)

a436t4ataf likes this.
  12. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Please submit a bug report, thanks.

13. Rowlan

Rowlan

Will do.

14. Rowlan

Rowlan

IN-11669 - Projects are removed from the Hub

JeffDUnity3D likes this.
  15. Rowlan

Rowlan

Any news on this? It's been half a year.

16. ALEXWARELLC

ALEXWARELLC

Quick question, why do we have to submit a bug report instead of Unity Employees doing so?

Unifikation likes this.
  17. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Quicker question: how long does it take to replace two characters? At least make the limit something sane - e.g. 200 (although technically it shouldn't have a problem with thousands, I don't see why it can't be 2,000 - but if someone is DESPERATE to prevent the list getting long (some badly written code in Hub's UI framework that crashes on anything except tiny lists?) then at least 200 would be a sensible number).

Unifikation likes this.