Search Unity

Projects storing best practices?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by GeekBeard, Dec 16, 2018.

1. GeekBeard

GeekBeard

Hi everyone,

Relatively simple question (I think it fits into "getting started" theme) purely about your own experience with storing your projects. No rocket science, but more of a workflow challenges.

Trying to get opinions to improve my own workflow which currently suffers from these kind of problems:

• need to store many projects but be able to access them at any time

• copying projects between machines - hence keeping them updated

• tried working from the external hdd = forget it somewhere once = can't work

• tried working by storing projects in the cloud (dropbox/google drive/etc.) - need a good cloud storage to not pay fortune (some projects are huge)
    I know, it's all on "self organization" and I fully accept being somewhat disorganized maybe in this, but due to many options available, I jump from one to another depending on which one fits my current project and eventually end up in a mess:(

Any tips you guys worked out for yourself you can share?

Thanks!

Cheers, GB.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

github and bitbucket come immediately to mind.

Joe-Censored, Ryiah and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  3. GeekBeard

GeekBeard

For code parts - indeed. But projects have many other assets...github and bitbucket are not really for the bin data:(

4. Ryiah and Peter77 like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Subversion. A project I'm assisting with is stored in its entirety on Atlassian.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Some sort of version control is the answer. I use git and BitBucket. But there are plenty of other variants out there with specific strengths and weaknesses.

Don't stress too much about choosing the perfect solution. Any version control system is miles better then none at all.

Schneider21 likes this.
  7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I set up a VM on a small Linux server as an SVN server and store the entire project, which is around 20GB. It is very space efficient compared to manually backing up with things like zip files, and keeping multiple machines up to date is very fast since you're just downloading the changes. My server is set up for RAID 1, so there is some redundancy there, and I periodically back up the VM to my small NAS server.