Search Unity

Projects drop from the Hub list

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Kronnect, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!

We manage lot of projects using the Unity Hub. However, it seems like there's a limited number of "slots" in the projects list and the Hub discards some entries from time to time which is quite annoying because forces us to keep opening the project from the disk.

Strangely, if doesn't seem to drop oldest entries first but random entries.

Not sure if this is a bug or simply a hardcoded limit.. and if it's a limited number, could it be just increased?

Thanks

Arkade likes this.
  2. Arkade

Arkade

Wow, that's ironic timing. I just came to the forum after getting frustrated by the exact same thing! Look forward to Unity's response. Hopefully there's some file with a helpful setting to disable this like "enableRemoveProjectByRandomLetter=1" ;)

Kronnect likes this.
  3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Have the same issue and cam confirm is indeed totally random.

I have lost track of various projects and now i am in loss as to what is where and when was accessed etc

4. Arkade

Arkade

yeah I know that feeling. I find myself thinking I've done this in... one of my projects in the last year or so. I'm toying with writing a little CLI app in which I can record all my Unity projects and libraries with some integrated search and knowledge about YAML and Asset look-up facilities so I can search more easily (dare I call it UGrep? :) ). It'd be great functionality for Hub to have ... y'know if it like knew about all our projects ;-)

5. Trivium_Dev

Trivium_Dev

I've been noticing this recently too, probably doesn't help I have 20+ projects that I'm currently working on. But it definitely doesn't drop the last used / oldest projects, but I don't see a rhyme or reason for which project it does drop.

6. Gordon_G

Gordon_G

Happens to me too - every time I add a project, at least one is removed from the list. At first I thought I was dreaming, because I have a several of versions of a project I receive from a developer that aren't named consistently so it's been hard to keep them straight in the Hub list.

But the other day I worked on one of my own, and then the same day I opened a new one from the developer, and mine is gone.

Perhaps there is some limit to the number of projects? If that is the case, they should have designed it to drop the oldest ones first.

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

Any news on a fix for this crucial issue ?

8. BenjiM_Unity

BenjiM_Unity

Unity Technologies

We are unable to replicate this issue on our end. When new versions of Hub become available, can you kindly see if you can reproduce this issue?

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi, thanks for getting back on the issue.

So you can have more than 40 projects at the same time ?

The number has to be more than 40 to see the issue.

Perhaps that is why could not replicate, as a lower project number is ok.

In fact i now just keep my projects under 40 and remove one i decide, so i know which is removed from the list, which helps, than have the random removal if have more than 40.

EDIT: I have filed a bug report from the Hub as well.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  10. nasos_333

nasos_333

I had an official answer from Unity on the matter, that said the projects can be only limited because of legacy compatibility, so there is no resolution so far and the hub is completely useless software, as it is extremely more confusing than help

Please forget about compatibility and add a larger project count possible in the list, thanks

Or at least put a warning if above 40 to not enter a new project, than have some randomly lost and confuse the user.

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

Doesn’t sound good for this product management.

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

The problem is twofold, most users not know about the issue and may find lost projects without knowing how.

And even if know it, then have to micro manage project count to keep it at 40, thus renders the main function of Hub to have a projects listing useless, as is not much different than keep it manually at this point.

So would be great if was a priority to fix the main functionality of the Hub that is to keep the whole amount of our projects, right now it does not do its main job correctly.

I post below the official answer for reference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gintaras Stalmokas <bugs@unity3d.com>
    To:nasos_333@yahoo.com

Sun, Jan 24 at 10:15 PM

Hi,
    Thank you for contacting us.

The current limit of projects that Hub is able to remember is set for a legacy reason, for compatibility with the old launcher. This is planed to change in future releases. For now, this behavior is by design.

Best regards,
    Gintaras
    Customer QA Team
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Well, I can read that they have more important stuff to attend in their queue which is understandable. I also deal with this issue everyday but honestly (for me) there're other sources of headaches more important.

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is other issues with the hub or general issues ?

15. ibyte

ibyte

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

I was wondering the same indeed

17. slysnake96

slysnake96

I can confirm that the issue has NOT been fixed and still exists to this day in Hub v3.0.0
    Todays Date: 20th Jan 2022
    It does not appear to be random now though and also the amount of projects it holds is even less than before, however it just drops whatever the last project is at the bottom of the list depending on how it's sorted.

nasos_333 likes this.
  18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the heads up, seems there is still zero reason to update. In fact if keeps less projects, is a strong reason to not even remotely consider to upgrade.

ibyte and slysnake96 like this.