Search Unity

Projector-Camera(Kinect) calibration Unity

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by metamorphoise, Apr 6, 2012.

1. metamorphoise

metamorphoise

Hi people, I have been recently looking into projector-camera calibration and would like to use a calibrated pair to project real-time visuals that react to changes detected by the camera (i.e. http://vimeo.com/m/18713117)

I think I will be able to calibrate my Kinect and projector using Samuel Audet's procamcalib software, but that outputs the intrinsics &extrinsics as text and i predict it's going to be an.. interesting challenge to plug that data in a useful way into Unity.

Most of the existing work in this field seems to be done in openframeworks, so the reason I'm posting here is to see if anyone has done similar stuff in Unity and if so, could share any tips, resources or pointers :D

sergiobd likes this.
  2. azjata

azjata

hey, I was thinking about the same, didn't tried anything though. The only way I guess is to try put this data into camera's projection matrix. Or maybe write a shader that would alter the image and i think this would be the best option, but I am not good at shaders... How the instrincts&extrinsics are used in (I guess opencv) procamcalib? Maybe deforming a plane or projecting image with unity's projector on some kind of sphere/lens kind of thing created with this data and viewing it with a orth cam? Custom lenses plugin for the unity camera would be awsome

sergiobd likes this.
  3. Totoro205

Totoro205

Hello i'm working on a projection mapping example but i'm using a regular PS3 camera and not a kinect. I'm detection real-life objects and then drawing their contours (after detecting them ofc) and i would like to project those contours on the objects again. I was wondering what are the steps that i should take into consideration in order to do a camera-projector calibration and how to integrate it in unity? I would appreciate any help you offer.

4. gino_pisello

gino_pisello

Hi! long time from this post, but did you succed in using the outputs from procamcalib with Unity?
    Anybody knows if in the meantime some new tools to perform camera-projector calibration has came out?
    Thank you