Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Projection matrix

Discussion in 'VR' started by Syntax134, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Syntax134

Syntax134

Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to figure out the full projection matrix P for a given image, such that

w * [u,v,1] = P * [x,y,z,1]

,where P is a 3x4 projection matrix, u and v are the image coordinates and x,y,z are the world coordinates of the imaged point. So I took a photo (small application written with Unity and C#) and tried to get cameraToWorldMatrix as well as projectionMatrix with

photoCaptureFrame.TryGetCameraToWorldMatrix(...);
    photoCaptureFrame.TryGetProjectionMatrix(...);

Initially I thought that now P = projectionMatrix * inverse(cameraToWorldMatrix), but this seems not to be correct. Because of the format of the projection matrix (https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/locatable_camera) I also end up with a 4x4 matrix instead of the desired 3x4 matrix.

Can anyone give me a hint how to finally compute the matrix P?

2. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

P should just be the projection matrix you get from TryGetProjectionMatrix. And I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think projection matrices can be 3x4.

It sounds like you're asking for a shovel when what you need is a hole. What problem are you trying to solve?

3. Syntax134

Syntax134

4. unity_andrewc

unity_andrewc

Unity Technologies

Oh, I see now. Thanks for the link. That's actually a different definition for what a projection matrix is - and I have to admit, I've never heard of a projection matrix being defined that way.

The projection matrix we provide is closer to the format described here: http://www.songho.ca/opengl/gl_projectionmatrix.html

[R|t], in the case of our API, should be transcribed in the matrix you get from TryGetCameraToWorldMatrix. You may need to invert it, not sure, as I'm afraid I can't immediately translate to what you linked - like I said, I've never heard of a projection matrix being defined that way. I hope this helps.