Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Projection mapping 2D image on 3D geometry

Discussion in '2D' started by Purpleshine84, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

Hi,

I tried to do this with projectors but the image seem to stretch. I can find a lot of information on projection mapping but not exactly on how this is done in Unity. I like to do it like they did in the Book of unwritten Tales 2, but how? Has anyone experience here on how this process is done? I am anxious to hear it...

2. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

3. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

Anyone of the Unity team? I see some projection tools on Github but they are all outdated or not updated enough. With projection you can get amazing results, typically for a 2.5D adventure game. No one knows anything about this or knows of a tool or method I could use so I can project an image or images on 3D geometry (and I dont mean the standard projecter, that is a pain)?

4. Totoro205

Totoro205

Hello, I was wondering if you ever found a solution to your problem. I am currently working on an interactive projection mapping game using Unity for my bachelor thesis and I'm a little confused about how to do it exactly.

5. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

It's not that hard, but it has to be done in the 3d app you are using before exporting to Unity. Search for camera mapping tutorial. I did mine in Blender and it worked out fine. One thing you need to do though in Unity is this: position the camera the same way as you did in the 3d app.

Totoro205 likes this.
  6. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

I am not sure what you mean with interactive though...

7. Totoro205

Totoro205

I'm supposed to do sthg similar to this

The interactive part is to detect the user's movements (probably using kinect)

Thanks you for your help, I will try it and see how it turns out.

8. Purpleshine84

Purpleshine84

Seems you have to do a lot of programming for that so the realtime graphics match the right position. In my case I wanted the pre-rendered graphics to show up in realtime, that was my purpose for cam mapping.