Search Unity

Project workspace is read-only?

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by TexasGreenTea, Dec 26, 2016.

1. TexasGreenTea

TexasGreenTea

Maybe I've missed something: I can't figure out how to create anything in the Project workspace. Am I correct in thinking that the project workspace is currently read-only?

For example, I'd like to create a prefab. I assumed this would be done similarly to the 2D version. I tried to drag the object into the project workspace, but nothing happened. I can't even figure out how to create a new folder. I'm sure that making the project workspace writable would open up a can of worms for things like creating and manipulating materials, shaders, scripts, etc. Hopefully, all of that is coming, but I'm sure it takes time. In the meantime, I think adding in prefab creation would be pretty easy in comparison.

Other features on my wishlist:

1) I would really like to be able to create and edit materials in a 3D node-based system (eg UE4's Material Editor or Shader Forge but in 3D).

2) I think a 3D node-based solution could work great for creating simple scripts too (eg UE4's blueprints or Playmaker but in 3D). This is one of the only areas in which Unity still feels way behind UE4. If Unity can get node-based scripting to work in VR before the Epic team does, it would be quite a leap frog.

2. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Thanks, @TexasGreenTea.

Yes, we'll eventually want to add write capabilities to the Project workspace. For now, it would cause a hitch in rendering because of the blocking nature of the Unity Editor with some asset-related operations. We're hoping to make many operations in the editor async for VR purposes.

3. techstyle

techstyle

Mind if I ask where this stands? Is the project workspace still read-only?

It is crazy to me that no one has cracked this nut yet.

Here's my beef, related to this issue: There is STILL no easy way for two, non-technical users to collaborate in the arrangement of imported 3D models using a computer and a VR headset... And as far as I can tell - EditorVR is the closest thing on the market to accomplishing that and it's not remotely user-friendly. Lets take platforms for the Vive, for example: Tiltbrush doesn't include imported 3D objects in its FBX exports, and MakeVR & Gravity Sketch don't allow importing of models. High Fidelity (in combination with Clara.IO) should theoretically work but High Fidelity's UX is just painful... and the IBM Speech Sandbox has limited functionality. And, of course, none of those allow for collaboration between two users. It's nuts. Has anyone done this with EditorVR yet, as far as you know?

Does this gripe make sense? Once the barrier to entry for working with 3D models comes down, the market opens up in a big way.

In any case, I'm trying to build this myself now, so I'm hoping to get any guidance I can get. I'm just looking for a basic workflow in which a user on the computer helps a user in VR import, move, rotate, scale, and delete objects. I just can't believe I haven't found a way to do this yet.

Thanks so much,
    Josh

4. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

@techstyle, I think if you dragged and dropped an art asset into the project folder it would import and show up in the ProjectWorkspace. Have you tried that yet?

That being said, it will freeze the HMD while it is importing, so not the best experience for the VR viewer.