Search Unity

Bug Project won't build using Xode15 release candidate.

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by VentaGames, Sep 13, 2023.

1. VentaGames

VentaGames

Hi there, just tried to build the project using Xcode15 RC (Released yesterday).
    And failed with the following error:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Showing Recent Issues
    3. Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.BuildLogic.ToolchainNotFoundException: IL2CPP C++ code builder is unable to build C++ code. In order to build C++ code for Mac, you must have Xcode installed.
    5. Building for Apple Silicon requires Xcode 9.4 and Mac 10.12 SDK.
    9. Xcode needs to be installed in the /Applications directory and have a name matching Xcode*.app. Or be selected using xcode-select.
    11. It's also possible to use /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools if those match the listed requirements.
    12. More information and installation instructions can be found here:
    13. https://developer.apple.com/support/xcode/
    15. Specific Xcode versions can be downloaded here:
    16. https://developer.apple.com/download/more/
    20. Unable to detect any compatible iPhoneOS SDK!
    23.   at Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.BuildLogic.iOS.iOSBuildLogic.GetCompatibleXcodeInstallation(Architecture architecture, Version xcodeMinVersion, Version platformSdkMinVersion, Identifier platformSdkIdentifier, XcodePlatformSdk& compatiblePlatformSdk, XcodeInstallation& compatibleXcodeInstallation)
    27.   at Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.BuildLogic.iOS.iOSBuildLogic.UserAvailableToolchainFor(Architecture architecture, NPath toolChainPath, NPath sysRootPath, Boolean targetIsSimulator)
    31.   at Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.IL2CPPExeCompileCppBuildProgram.BuildProgram.Main(String[] args, String currentDirectory)
    35.   at Unity.IL2CPP.Building.InProcessBuildProgram.StartImpl(String workingDirectory, String[] arguments) in /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/il2cpp/Unity.IL2CPP.Building/InProcessBuildProgram.cs:line 51
    38. Error: Unity.IL2CPP.Building.BuilderFailedException: Build failed with 0 successful nodes and 0 failed ones
    40. Error: Internal build system error. BuildProgram exited with code 1.
    42. Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.BuildLogic.ToolchainNotFoundException: IL2CPP C++ code builder is unable to build C++ code. In order to build C++ code for Mac, you must have Xcode installed.
    44. Building for Apple Silicon requires Xcode 9.4 and Mac 10.12 SDK.
    47. Xcode needs to be installed in the /Applications directory and have a name matching Xcode*.app. Or be selected using xcode-select.
    49. It's also possible to use /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools if those match the listed requirements.
    52. More information and installation instructions can be found here:
    54. https://developer.apple.com/support/xcode/
    56. Specific Xcode versions can be downloaded here:
    58. https://developer.apple.com/download/more/
    61. Unable to detect any compatible iPhoneOS SDK!
    63.    at Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.BuildLogic.iOS.iOSBuildLogic.GetCompatibleXcodeInstallation(Architecture architecture, Version xcodeMinVersion, Version platformSdkMinVersion, Identifier platformSdkIdentifier, XcodePlatformSdk& compatiblePlatformSdk, XcodeInstallation& compatibleXcodeInstallation)
    66.    at Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.BuildLogic.iOS.iOSBuildLogic.UserAvailableToolchainFor(Architecture architecture, NPath toolChainPath, NPath sysRootPath, Boolean targetIsSimulator)
    68.    at Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.IL2CPPExeCompileCppBuildProgram.BuildProgram.Main(String[] args, String currentDirectory)
    70.    at Unity.IL2CPP.Building.InProcessBuildProgram.StartImpl(String workingDirectory, String[] arguments) in /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/il2cpp/Unity.IL2CPP.Building/InProcessBuildProgram.cs:line 51
    72.    at il2cpp.Program.DoRun(TinyProfiler2 tinyProfiler, String[] args, RuntimePlatform platform, Il2CppCommandLineArguments il2CppCommandLineArguments, BuildingOptions buildingOptions, Boolean throwExceptions) in /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/il2cpp/il2cpp/Program.cs:line 319
    Building under Xcode15 beta 8 has no issues.
    I'm using MacOS 13.5.2, Unity version 2022.3.9

Someone has the same issues?

Do i need to Bug Report?

Thanks.

2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

This looks like a common issue with the Xcode beta. We have discovered it internally as well and are implementing a work around.

ImpossibleRobert and keizof like this.
  3. VentaGames

VentaGames

Okay, it works now.
    What i did:

I've installed Xcode RC over the Xcode 14.x as it is not Xcode beta anymore.
    Xcode RC not compiling my project due to the errors from above.

Then, i've decided to update MacOs to Sonoma, but this doesn't help.
    Then, i've removed Xcode RC and any other Xcodes (betas), so my Mac was clean from Xcodes ;)
    Then, i've installed the Xcode from AppStore (14.x), but Sonoma won't open it, as it incompatible.
    Then, i've downloaded Xcode RC renamed it to XcodeRC, and moved it to the Application folder.
    So, i have Application/Xcode and Application/XcodeRC

This time XcodeRC opens and compiles the project.
    I think the problem was that i replaced the Xcode 14 with RC. And this breaks something.

Hope this helps someone else.

dinindu_d, hopetogine and drawcode like this.
  4. sergioabril

sergioabril

Just tried installing the Xcode RC as a renamed XcodeRC (skipping all the previous steps you mention), and it did not work for me. Might try a full clean + install later on if I have time, but hopefully they'll release some kind of patch/news soon. @JoshPeterson

Update: My mistake. Installing a fresh Xcode 15 RC on
    /Applications/Xcode15RC
    seems to fix the issue indeed, no need to uninstall the regular Xcode14, and not even other Xcode 15 betas. That being said, it's kind of messy.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  5. jason_yak

jason_yak

6. VentaGames

VentaGames

I have to remove Xcode as i've replaced it with RC at the beginning.

@jason_yak For your problem, you have to add -ld_classic into "Other Linker Flag" in Xcode for the unityframework.
    Or, you can do so from Unity itself, by adding the postprocessing script:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void OnPostprocessBuild(BuildReport report)
    2.         {
    3.             if (report.summary.platform != BuildTarget.iOS)
    4.                 return;
    6.             var projectPath = report.summary.outputPath + "/Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj";
    8.             var pbxProject = new PBXProject();
    9.             pbxProject.ReadFromFile(projectPath);
    12.             //Unity Framework
    13.             target = pbxProject.GetUnityFrameworkTargetGuid();
    15.             pbxProject.AddBuildProperty(target, "OTHER_LDFLAGS", "-ld_classic");
    16.             pbxProject.WriteToFile(projectPath);
    17.         }
    Hope this helps.

7. jason_yak

jason_yak

Thanks! I'll try it.. just curious, how did you work this one out? I've had a search just now for any info on this flag value and not turning up much.

8. jason_yak

jason_yak

9. jason_yak

jason_yak

Has anyone hit this warning as well that UnityFramework apparently now needs some entitlements added to it and for that to be possible the target needs to be signed:

UnityFramework isn't code signed but requires entitlements. It is not possible to add entitlements to a binary without signing it.

10. jason_yak

jason_yak

I guess we just need to use PBXProject.SetTeamId(), for the framework target GetUnityFrameworkTargetGuid() so it also gets signed?!

11. Pomettini

Pomettini

Hi Josh, is there an ETA for the fix? It's currently blocking my app from being released, thank you!

12. VentaGames

VentaGames

Hi again,

For me, It was enough to set it like this (player settings):

sign.png

13. jason_yak

jason_yak

Hey... so no for me that wasn't enough, that setting has been on in my projects but the the UnityFramework was not ending up with the team id set. Setting it fixed in post processing and it allows the framework to be signed. I'm freshly generating the xcode project every build too btw. Easy fix though, not sure what accounts for this difference in behaviour.

As a guess perhaps your UnityFramework also doesn't have the team id set for signing but doesn't need it to be, my project has various native plugins with different entitlements, there might be something like this which is adding the need for the framework to be signed.

14. Pomettini

Pomettini

Thank you, unfortunately it didn't work for me :(

15. VentaGames

VentaGames

Ok, yesterday, Xcode 15 was officially released, and it was downloaded and updated the Xcode (14.x). This happened out of my control (automatic updates were turned on) and everything stopped working again.
    Now, i'll try to remove all Xcodes once again and install the latest one (15) from scratch.
    Hope this will fix this...

Update:
    Yes, now nothing works.
    Got this same error:

Showing Recent Issues

Error: Internal build system error. BuildProgram exited with code 1.
    Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.BuildLogic.ToolchainNotFoundException: IL2CPP C++ code builder is unable to build C++ code. In order to build C++ code for Mac, you must have Xcode installed.
    Building for Apple Silicon requires Xcode 9.4 and Mac 10.12 SDK.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
    konsnos, drewjosh and drawcode like this.
  16. Atair_

Atair_

My Xcode updated overnight and i get this error: command phasescriptexecution failed with a nonzero exit code On a clean project using LTS 2022.3.9f1. Nothing more to the error, no info, nothing to click..
    Will try to roll back to an older xcode version for now so i can continue work.

17. stnaw

stnaw

The same problem. Error log:

Build failed with 0 successful nodes and 0 failed ones
    Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.BuildLogic.ToolchainNotFoundException: IL2CPP C++ code builder is unable to build C++ code. In order to build C++ code for Mac, you must have Xcode installed.
    Xcode needs to be installed in the /Applications directory and have a name matching Xcode*.app. Or be selected using xcode-select.
    It's also possible to use /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools if those match the listed requirements.
    More information and installation instructions can be found here:
    https://developer.apple.com/support/xcode/
    Specific Xcode versions can be downloaded here:
    https://developer.apple.com/download/more/
    Unable to detect any compatible iPhoneOS SDK!
    at Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.BuildLogic.iOS.iOSBuildLogic.GetCompatibleXcodeInstallation(Architecture architecture, Version xcodeMinVersion, Version platformSdkMinVersion, Identifier platformSdkIdentifier, XcodePlatformSdk& compatiblePlatformSdk, XcodeInstallation& compatibleXcodeInstallation)

at Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.BuildLogic.iOS.iOSBuildLogic.UserAvailableToolchainFor(Architecture architecture, NPath toolChainPath, NPath sysRootPath, Boolean targetIsSimulator)

at Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.IL2CPPExeCompileCppBuildProgram.BuildProgram.Main(String[] args, String currentDirectory)

at Unity.IL2CPP.Building.InProcessBuildProgram.StartImpl(String workingDirectory, String[] arguments) in /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/il2cpp/Unity.IL2CPP.Building/InProcessBuildProgram.cs:line 51

Error: Unity.IL2CPP.Building.BuilderFailedException: Build failed with 0 successful nodes and 0 failed ones

* at Unity.IL2CPP.Bee.BuildLogic.iOS.iOSBuildLogic.GetCompatibleXcodeInstallation...
    Through this error stack, it seems that il2cpp did not find a valid Xcode (even though I have already installed the genuine version of Xcode 15.0).

Hope it can be resolved quickly, I don't want to repeatedly install Xcode for this problem. :(

koh80006 and salad2 like this.
  18. VentaGames

VentaGames

It's now unclear, where to expect a fix or updates.
    Coz, i can't revert back to Xcode 14, as it is not supported by Sonoma.
    But i have to make and upload a build but don't know how...

19. stnaw

stnaw

Finally, I rolled back Xcode to 14.3.1 to start my work.
    If your system version is Sonoma, you can download Xcode 14.3.1 and use the following script to make it work on Sonoma.

Code (JavaScript):
    1. #!/bin/sh
    3. set -euo pipefail
    5. # Set the paths to your Old/New Xcodes
    6. OLD_XCODE="/Applications/Xcode-14.3.1.app"
    7. NEW_XCODE="/Applications/Xcode.app" # To get build number
    9. # Get New Xcode build number
    10. OLD_XCODE_BUILD=$(/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print CFBundleVersion" ${OLD_XCODE}/Contents/Info.plist)
    11. NEW_XCODE_BUILD=$(/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print CFBundleVersion" ${NEW_XCODE}/Contents/Info.plist)
    13. echo The Old Xcode build version is $OLD_XCODE_BUILD
    14. echo The New Xcode build version is $NEW_XCODE_BUILD
    16. # Change Old Xcode build version to New Xcode
    17. /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :CFBundleVersion ${NEW_XCODE_BUILD}" ${OLD_XCODE}/Contents/Info.plist
    19. # Open Old Xcode (system will check build version and cache it)
    20. open $OLD_XCODE
    22. # Revert Old's Xcode's build version
    23. /usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :CFBundleVersion ${OLD_XCODE_BUILD}" ${OLD_XCODE}/Contents/Info.plist

20. VentaGames

VentaGames

Ok, thanks.
    Btw: I've tried to build an Android version, and it won't build as well. Failed with gradle errors.
    Some kind of vicious circle.

21. spacefrog

spacefrog

Just reinstall Xcode 15 Beta 5 but keep the final Xcode 15 installed and keep using it
    The pure existence of the beta 5 in the apps folder seems to fix the issue with Xcode 15 final ....

stnaw and chwan1 like this.
  22. WeiWuDe

WeiWuDe

Same issue here, waiting for a solution...

23. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

24. TillmaniaLtd

TillmaniaLtd

Loving Unity! Never know if an update is going to destroy your working day!

25. nihat_blockgate

nihat_blockgate

26. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

You can watch the issue tracker link above for details about this Unity versions should have the fix. That is the best source of information, and it will be kept up to date automatically by the Unity release process.

drewjosh likes this.
  27. unity_hwBcSuKi8nUtvg

unity_hwBcSuKi8nUtvg

My workaround was to download XCode 14.3 from https://developer.apple.com/download/all/ and use that to build my Unity project.

The download is a zip file that you have to extract. I renamed the extracted application file to XCode14 and moved it to the Applications folder. Make sure to switch the XCode command line tools to the correct version as well (see XCode -> Settings... -> Locations -> Command Line Tools).

ltomov and NickMcLaren like this.
  28. dynamicbutter

dynamicbutter

I ran into this yesterday after a forced update of Xcode. I went to Josh's issue tracker link and upvoted the issue. It hasn't received a lot of votes yet.

From issue tracker:
    "Xcode >= 15.0b6 contains a change to the "ProductName" in the "version.plist", which Unity will fail to parse. Because of that, Unity is not able to use this or newer version of Xcode to compile code for IL2CPP for macOS and iOS."

Anyone know the details of the "ProductName" change so that workarounds may be investigated?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    drewjosh likes this.
  29. ltomov

ltomov

Loving people who have no clue what they're talking about.

This is caused by an Xcode update, not Unity. Nobody can guarantee that their product will work on all future, not-yet-released versions of an IDE/OS/etc.

30. dynamicbutter

dynamicbutter

2022.3.10 just landed and fixes the issue for me!

Thanks Unity team for the quick response.

31. TillmaniaLtd

TillmaniaLtd

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...latforms-fails-with-xcode-15-dot-0b6-or-newer

Issue was first raised on the 22nd of August and still no fix despite Xcode 15 now being released. They have had plenty of time to resolve this issue.

churikeeno, Skrappy and drewjosh like this.
  32. mcarriere

mcarriere

Here's a Unity Hub Link: unityhub://2022.3.10f1/ff3792e53c62

33. drawcode

drawcode

34. VentaGames

VentaGames

Ok, Unity 2022.3.10 seems fixed this issue for me, BUT...

Also, it looks like my postprocessor not working anymore.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_IOS
    2. using System.IO;
    3. using AppleAuth.Editor;
    4. using UnityEditor;
    5. using UnityEditor.Build;
    6. using UnityEditor.Build.Reporting;
    7. using UnityEditor.iOS.Xcode;
    9. namespace Editor
    10. {
    11.     public class IOSPostProcessing : IPostprocessBuildWithReport
    12.     {
    13.         public int callbackOrder => 0;
    15.         public void OnPostprocessBuild(BuildReport report)
    16.         {
    17.             if (report.summary.platform != BuildTarget.iOS) return;
    19.             var projectPath = report.summary.outputPath + "/Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj";
    21.             var pbxProject = new PBXProject();
    22.             pbxProject.ReadFromFile(projectPath);
    24.             //Disabling Bitcode on all targets
    26.             //Main
    27.             var target = pbxProject.GetUnityMainTargetGuid();
    28.             pbxProject.SetBuildProperty(target, "ENABLE_BITCODE", "NO");
    30.             //Unity Tests
    31.             target = pbxProject.TargetGuidByName(PBXProject.GetUnityTestTargetName());
    32.             pbxProject.SetBuildProperty(target, "ENABLE_BITCODE", "NO");
    34.             //Unity Framework
    35.             target = pbxProject.GetUnityFrameworkTargetGuid();
    36.             pbxProject.SetBuildProperty(target, "ENABLE_BITCODE", "NO");
    37.             pbxProject.AddBuildProperty(target, "OTHER_LDFLAGS", "-ld_classic");
    39.             //Auth
    40.             var manager = new ProjectCapabilityManager(projectPath, "Entitlements.entitlements", null, pbxProject.GetUnityMainTargetGuid());
    41.             manager.AddSignInWithAppleWithCompatibility(pbxProject.GetUnityFrameworkTargetGuid());
    42.             manager.WriteToFile();
    44.             pbxProject.AddFrameworkToProject(pbxProject.GetUnityFrameworkTargetGuid(), "AuthenticationServices.framework", true);
    46.             pbxProject.WriteToFile(projectPath);
    48.             // Info.plist
    49.             var plistPath = report.summary.outputPath + "/Info.plist";
    50.             var plist = new PlistDocument();
    51.             plist.ReadFromString(File.ReadAllText(plistPath));
    53.             var root = plist.root;
    54.             root.SetBoolean("ITSAppUsesNonExemptEncryption", false);
    56.             File.WriteAllText(plistPath, plist.WriteToString());
    57.         }
    58.     }
    59. }
    60. #endif
    Can someone confirm, that this still working?

marllon_helloello likes this.
  35. VentaGames

VentaGames

Found this in the console:

Exception: Can't Add Sign In With Apple programatically in this Unity version.

So, I have to comment on these lines:

Code (CSharp):
    1.             // var manager = new ProjectCapabilityManager(projectPath, "Entitlements.entitlements", null, pbxProject.GetUnityMainTargetGuid());
    2.             // manager.AddSignInWithAppleWithCompatibility(target);
    3.             // manager.WriteToFile();
    Now all works fine.

36. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

FFS this plugin keeps on delivering, looking into this (can repro locally)

EDIT: https://github.com/lupidan/apple-signin-unity/pull/178

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  37. dmarqs

dmarqs

I'm still getting the issue after update to .10.

Here's the Xcode log:

Assertion failed: (false && "compact unwind compressed function offset doesn't fit in 24 bits"), function operator(), file Layout.cpp, line 5758.

Linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

samuelykc, waldgeist and drewjosh like this.
  38. archer-tate

archer-tate

Same.

39. dmarqs

dmarqs

I could make it work if I add "-ld64" to the "Other Linker Flags" to the UnityFramework target of the generated Xcode proj

40. archer-tate

archer-tate

That actually worked. I'm curious how you figured this out and what this flag actually does?

41. spacefrog

spacefrog

archer-tate and drawcode like this.
  42. drawcode

drawcode

Interesting, looks like a new linker. The flag invokes the "classic linker". So looks like Unity IL2CPP/translation has a problem with the new linker.

Linkingin page link
    New Featuresin page link
    • A new linker has been written to significantly speed up static linking. It’s the default for all macOS, iOS, tvOS and visionOS binaries and anyone using the “Mergeable Libraries” feature. The classic linker can still be explicitly requested using -ld64, and will be removed in a future release.
 (108915312)

43. VentaGames

VentaGames

Also, this can be done in post-processor:

Code (CSharp):
    2. ...
    3.             var pbxProject = new PBXProject();
    4.             pbxProject.ReadFromFile(projectPath);
    6.             //Unity Framework
    7.             target = pbxProject.GetUnityFrameworkTargetGuid();
    8.             pbxProject.AddBuildProperty(target, "OTHER_LDFLAGS", "-ld_classic");

FMGdev and drawcode like this.
  44. drewjosh

drewjosh

People who find things out like this are pure magicians to me. It worked!

Targets (left menu, mid) > Unity Framework > Build Settings > Other Linker Flags (you can search for it) > double click on value + hit plus on button > add "-ld64" > hit Enter > pray to God and be thankful

45. elliselkins

elliselkins

I was having this issue when I built to iOS with Unity 2023.1.14. I installed 2023.1.15f1 and built to iOS and I don't see this issue now.

drewjosh likes this.
  46. NEMZAKI

NEMZAKI

A fix that worked for me, download Xcode beta 15 version 5 or lower
    Add Xcode beta 15 to the applications folder,
    Download Xcode from the appstore and the error is gone.

Hope this helps

drewjosh likes this.
  47. pheedsta77

pheedsta77

This fixed the issue for me also (using Xcode 15.0 on Mac OS Sonoma (Apple Silicon) with Unity 2022.3.10f1)

drewjosh likes this.
  48. sama-van

sama-van

Did this but still an error...

Attached Files:

49. sama-van

sama-van

1. Xcode Already up to date >> deleted it >> new fresh install >> no fix.

2. OS upgrade (not "update") to Sonoma 14.0.
    3. Unity update from 2022.3.9f1 to 2022.3.1.0f1.

Build & replace folder > 100% fix.

drewjosh likes this.
  50. waldgeist

waldgeist

Got the same problem after upgrading to macOS Sonoma. Upgrading Unity to 2022.3.10f1 did not work. Xcode is 15.0

SolaninMoon likes this.