Search Unity

Project Violet

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by RayCruxis, Feb 3, 2012.

1. RayCruxis

RayCruxis

Hello! Project Violet is a hack n' slash (or beat em up with swords) that will be mission based and have various combos and magic attacks you can mix in with the combat. In between missions you'll be able to use points to upgrade her combos, stats, magic powers and sword's strength. As of now not much is done, just working on the main character's mesh as someone works on the code for now

Current goal:
    -make a small demo with 2 enemy blocks, and the main character on a simple surface with a simple health bar hud

Progress
    here's some concept work for the main character
    $Amy Base 001.jpg

This is my current work on the mesh.

$blender 2012-02-02 19-31-44-66.jpg $blender 2012-02-02 19-32-07-17.jpg $blender 2012-02-02 19-31-47-59.jpg

this is the new mesh i'm workin on for her, it's different from the one in my collab thread. For now I'm finishing her up and my scripter is working with a dummy mesh to get the demo level scripted out.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. RayCruxis

RayCruxis

Trying to decide whether or not to go with more of a chibi-like character style or stick with this. I do know that I'm going to simplify the head a bit, since it doesn't really make sense to redo the entire mesh.

3. Alec

Alec

Game concept sounds promising, I'm not a fan of that style art so I cant really be of help there. hope it turns out well!

4. RayCruxis

RayCruxis

thank you for the support!

5. MABManZ

MABManZ

I agree, the head looks overly complex in comparison to the concept art...you may just want to have the eyes/lips/faces as a texture rather than modeling the geometry.

6. RayCruxis

RayCruxis

Here's an update on the mesh. It's rigged, but still has some deforming and clipping issues. I want to add the belt and the flowing cloth on her left leg, but unsure exactly how to. She isn't textured yet, but will be soon.

I reused an older mesh with better topology, removed some unnecessary loops from her arms and torso. Her armor is included with the one mesh, with any geometry under the armor completely removed, since it isn't visible anyway.

Also, the sword is modeled out too. Forgot to mention that before.

$blender 2012-02-04 00-45-15-01.jpg $blender 2012-02-04 00-51-24-44.jpg $blender 2012-02-04 00-57-25-56.jpg $blender 2012-02-04 01-07-26-90.jpg ed out too. Forgot to mention that before.

Attached Files:

7. RayCruxis

RayCruxis

still messing with her mesh, having some trouble with her shoulderpad. Can't figure out a way to get it to move without deforming so much.

8. RayCruxis

RayCruxis

there's a slight problem with her arms, when I rig them, no matter what the weight, it always stretches her side in a way that looks wierd

9. MABManZ

MABManZ

Not reallly familiar with Blender, but I would think the shoulderpads would not be soft binded to multiple joints, and only weighted to one (the shoulder) joint because it is a metal surface.

Set your bone influence maximum to 2 joints/bones per vertex and it will make weighting easier.

10. RayCruxis

RayCruxis

ah, so like...extrude a separate bone for the shoulderpads themselves that'll rotate with the arm or something?

11. Jetsetivan

Jetsetivan

This looks promising, you just started the project then?

12. RayCruxis

RayCruxis

Well...just started it's actual development, I've been fiddling with all the features and gameplay ideas on paper. thanks for the support :p

13. MABManZ

MABManZ

You should already have a shoulder bone on your rig just from having arms....

Weight the all the vertices of the shoulder pad to that bone.

If this is giving you problems, perhaps you should focus on solid character rigging before diving into a full game :)

14. Jetsetivan

Jetsetivan

Hey RayCruxis, I like the anime-style, especially shown in your character sketch, reminds me of ONO :) Regarding your immediate goal, what do you mean by "enemy blocks"?

Best regards,
    Iván

15. RayCruxis

RayCruxis

Ah, I do have a shoulder bone, I thought you meant a bone separate from that itself. Dunno why I haven't tried that yet.

I mean a simple enemy cube type prefab to test ai and damage scripts. Thank you for the support!

16. RayCruxis

RayCruxis

progress has come to a halt, as I've been very busy, though I will pick up soon