Search Unity

Project View Prefab Edit Gone

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by TommySKD, Nov 10, 2018.

1. TommySKD

TommySKD

Hello!
    So I've read this doing a search, but juuust to be sure..
    Are there really no plans at all to bring that back? Like really is it COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE AND WILL DESTROY THE PERFORMANCE THE STRUCTURE AND THE UNIVERSE IF YOU BRING IT BACK ARE YOU SURE???

I was using that project view to edit the big component of the prefab, which is usually on the main prefab as Unity recommended..
    I would use it to quickly edit hp, speed, object references for particles, if it is a missile the launch speed and acceleration etc.
    And one thing that was pretty cool was also being able to straight up edit particlesystems on the 1st level (just the prefab) and the 2nd level childs.

All of this without going into prefab mode of course, it just took 1 second to do any change and test it right here in the game without pausing, and now it is gonna take like 10 seconds to make 1 change, with extra brain overhead because you have to change window and go back, so much just for a small change that occurs very very often because it is just a value I experiment a lot with like speed/color/lifetime.

I understand that for big studios with big "rich" prefabs and dedicated members to edit them the new prefab mode is great, but for very small teams with scrawny prefabs the extra effort to do the simplest thing is not a small detail this is a gigantic regression.

Nested prefabs are also extremely needed of course, I was just waiting for Unity's official version instead of AssetStore ones because I believed they'd do it right without breaking any of their own things, or so I thought.

Now I have to choose between giving up 1 extremely useful feature: either not being able to edit/iterate over the first 2 levels of prefabs extremely fast from project view, or not having nested prefabs.

Another solution would to put everything in ScriptableObjects, but it is annoying because SOs are basically inferior prefabs. They can't have unique variants or more than 1 component, and they put 1 extra asset to quickly clutter any folder and make dupplicating the prefab to make a new one from this base twice as annoying.

Or I could just go back to 2018.2 and finally get an assetstore Nested Prefab.

Sooo is it really not planned to bring back prefab edit from project view at the end of the beta or something? Just the 1st level (so only the prefab root) would already be great. Like, what does it look like right now seriously, you click on any prefab in the project view and you get this big miserable window with just.. Open Prefab on it.. I feel like people are undervaluing how big of a regression this is.

Also that's a completely different problem but isolating the prefab window from all the rest of the scene while doing modifications feels like a very alien way of doing things
    I've tried having 2 scene windows so one of them shows the scene with all the prefabs and the other one shows the prefab mode, but unless im missing something they both go into prefab mode. Uhh that's just straight up.. bad? Why not just 1 going into prefab mode?

2. Flavelius

Flavelius

One thing about not having a separate view they mentioned in the unite talk was that they couldn't intuitively answer what the hierarchy should display in this case. Though my take on that would be just a selector dropdown above the hierarchy (similiar to blender).
    The other thing, i'm not sure about this, but i think would be script access. If you have an editor script, which hierarchy does it access? I think that's a bit trickier to find a solution for.

3. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Pretty annoying, I've been testing in depth with the whole project ported and its ..... many times happening to open the prefab, takes like .... half sec or so, that blink is sometimes enough for me to forget the hell I was gonna check, I know it sounds crazy but it happens, of your you recall bit later but is frustrating.

I've lately been checking prefabs in bulk in 2018.2 and losing this feature definitely is detrimental for productivity.
    Not to mention that you may whant ot add an specific component with specifict setup in bulk... that feature is gone.....

But for a moment I told myself ok, lets simply ignory this annoyance and starting to work with the new prefabs you can´t even reorder prefab childs in scene, you've to open the prefab editor.... pffff. WTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.. stuff like that drove me pretty mad. Yet I'm going to jump into .3 because its a great release for the rest. So I'm doing most of the prefab work in .2 in an attemp to save me some pain.

They solved the nedsted prefab feature by creating quite a serious mess for the daily basis use.

4. TommySKD

TommySKD

hmm to be honest this method isn't that bad I realized you could just open the prefab with double click from the project view and it puts you right on your parent so you can change the script like that it is just 1 more click if you're checking in game.

If you're checking in scene it is still quite annoying though you need to go back to the scene to check how the new prefab fits.
    Im not sure if theres a shortcut to exit prefab mode and go back to scene?

Either way seems annoying, I would love to be able to have a 2nd window to show the scene even if it is doesn't show hierarchy, just to quickly see how the prefab modifications will look on multiple prefabs in my scene without having to exit prefab mode. OR rather it is so the prefab window that pops up doesn't "temporarily break" my scene view. Ideally can still pan the scene view and zoom and stuff to check everywhere, even if the hierarchy stays focused on prefab mode.

5. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I
    I was ready to accept the inspector limitations but the lack of in scene editing is annoying , I believe tho, that this was exposed back in the dayz and Unity staff seemed interested in adding a way to modify the prefab in scene context

6. M_R

M_R

in scene editing is not gone (except removing/reordering children).
    you edit the instance then apply the changes. and that is better now because you can see what you are applying and apply selectively if needed.

there are 3rd party assets that break with the new workflow (e.g. NGUI & PUN) but their developers need to fix them, not Unity

7. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

In regards to Photon,Uniity prefab system seems to breaking it, import a project form .2 and all works fine, apply changes with new prefab system and things go south. I posted a workaround for people be able to use it tho, hope the new prefab api is open enough for allow needed fixes not require cumbersome patches from third parties.
    "except removing/reordering children" , that is quite a limitation, and honestly Its hard to justify. I hope that is fixed ASAP

8. M_R

M_R

in the old workflow, removing/reordering children broke the prefab connection, and you needed to manually reconnect to it again.
    now you choose if you want the thing you are restructuring to not be a prefab instance, or you go in prefab mode and edit the prefab itself. I think it's better this way (disconnected prefabs were a source of bugs and git conflicts in my older projects)