Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Project Torque - Offroad Racer | Update: Vehicle physics now open sourced!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by adrenak, Mar 28, 2019.

1. adrenak

adrenak

Started developing a new game a couple of weeks ago. It is an offroad racing game, inspired by games like MotorStorm, Fuel and Insane 2. I'm planning to release on mobile and PC first and then perhaps VR.

The working title is Project Torque

The first thing I have been doing is making my own wheel collider for custom suspension and friction physics so get the right driving feel. Here is a video showing the same:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    DannyWebbie, keeponshading and mgear like this.
  2. adrenak

adrenak

Found a process for creating good terrains. I create a general layout of the track using only the inbuilt unity terrain tools and then pass it through height and texture filters in World Creator to get high quality results quickly!

The next pass would be to make manual changes and adding more details to make the map look more unique and authentic.

Edy likes this.
  3. adrenak

adrenak

Testing the wheel physics with a Hummer! Going to keep on adding at least one of different kinds of vehicles to see if they feel right on all of them

4. adrenak

adrenak

The vehicle physics are finally at a stage that I can start making AI and tracks. I cleaned up the code and made it open source too! Get it here: https://github.com/adrenak/Tork

And here's a short video showing the demo scene in action

Edy and mgear like this.
  5. Edy

Edy

Nice project! Congratulations!

adrenak likes this.
  6. adrenak

adrenak

Thanks! Great to hear that coming from the car physics expert here :)

Edy likes this.
  7. CoderPro

CoderPro

I was bought edy vehicle physics.
    Try your asset, it like arcade physics than simulator.
    I think you should add handbrake or drift action for your asset. It will better than now.

8. Edy

Edy

I like that the code is nicely arranged and kept to the minimum necessary for vehicle physics. It's easy to understand and may be easily extended from there.

I can also recognize the anti-roll bar code. Looks similar to that original code I posted here 9 years ago. It's nice to see how the community has adopted it since then :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  9. adrenak

adrenak

Yes it's the same one :)

Edy likes this.
  10. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

When downloading the project it says that it's for 2017.3. Why? It worked fine though, thanks for sharing!

11. adrenak

adrenak

Thats strange, the project is made on 2017.1 Shouldn't matter though

12. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Maybe it was 2017.1. I was just a bit suprised that it wasn't made with 2018.3 or 2019.1 as the tool was published so recently.

13. adrenak

adrenak

I have a bit of an irrational fear of new versions as things have broken in the past, so I usually use an older version unless I need to ;)

14. Edy

Edy

Not irrational at all - very wise indeed IMHO.

Currently I ensure compatibility with the latest LTS version, and I upgrade to the Tech stream not earlier than the .2 stable version. In the past I've experienced too much pain caused by early jumping into new versions.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    keeponshading and adrenak like this.
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is the demo with truck and buggy uses only what is in asset? I think these cars have more stability then sample orange car.