Search Unity

Project Tiny Roadmap

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by MBest_Unity, Dec 19, 2018.

1. MBest_Unity

MBest_Unity

Unity Technologies

We have been working on our roadmap and it's now ready to post for feedback. The goal of this doc is to reflect back to the community what we currently see as the path forward. We are now at the point were we would like to test it against your needs so we hope you'll take the time to share your thoughts with us.

You can check out the roadmap here.

Also, to help us parse the info, we'd ask that after reviewing it, you fill out this survey.

Thanks for your interest in Project Tiny and we hope you have a Happy Holidays!
    Martin

TimmyCom, brianpeiris and APSchmidt like this.
  2. abeisgreat

abeisgreat

This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing. Glad to see any / all weakpoints in Tiny being prioritized on the roadmap.

3. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

That's a road map! You guys have work ahead; once finished Project Tiny will look awesome! :D

4. LauraLaureus

LauraLaureus

Thanks for add the Spine integration to the roadmap, it's important to keep clients atlas requirements and give a high quality product.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

The roadmap is a presentation, not a roadmap. So the presentation or detail should be secondary to having a clear roadmap all on one page.

I found it confusing and quickly became lost in the links and then clicked back and forth, forgetting all the information.

To be clear - you have made a *presentation* not a roadmap that's useful at a glance. The presentation is very nice, the information is there but it is also an exercise in frustration to use.

Please consider having an at-a-glance roadmap in addition to this presentation.

Antypodish likes this.
  6. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, thanks for sharing this, features are clear. It would be awesome if you can provide the ETA of some key features, say C# support, soft debugging and UI things like multi-line text/ progress bar.

Cheers

AAK_Lebanon likes this.
  7. FUBAR2077

FUBAR2077

Please add AR to the roadmap! It would be huuuge to see the instantly loaded AR Content on mobile! :)

8. TheRoccoB

TheRoccoB

Definitely like the idea of using SVG sprites, so excited to see that on the roadmap. If done right, SVG's can be really small and scale beautifully.

9. ChiuanWei

ChiuanWei

i wanna know when is the c# coming date ?

walledcityinfotech likes this.
  10. jorisshh

jorisshh

Last I heard was "early in 2019". So who knows - maybe in Q1. I doubt they have an exact date just yet :)

11. walledcityinfotech

walledcityinfotech

Yeah bro..
    type script is making me hallucinate stuff.......!!! :confused::confused:

12. ChiuanWei

ChiuanWei

i need the confim date.
    i cant wait for this...:(

13. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

"Early" can go up to the end of March next year...

14. MBest_Unity

MBest_Unity

Unity Technologies

To give you some more insight into c#, it is our next major piece to land. We are now going into the holiday season and when we return, this will be the main focus. We certainly would like this out as soon as possible but it's by nature unpredictable work. The best info I can provide is we are pushing to have the work done in Q1, the earlier the better however, we must hit the right quality level before we ship it.

15. ChiuanWei

ChiuanWei

happy holiday time.
    a lot developer waiting for it. love your guys works. :oops:

16. BabouDev

BabouDev

Hey, firstly, happy holidays! and really appreciate you keeping us in the loop and the frequent updates. I know this is pushing it but is there anyyy chance we could get a hint as to when other platforms will be supprted? (i.e, android, ios, windows?) Thanks!

17. vb2s360

vb2s360

Hi @MBest_Unity
    Thanks for this document, very much appreciated.
    Do you have any idea about when you expect to work on Tiny 3D games ?

Babybus_Study and Brad-Newman like this.
  18. kisuke_snow

kisuke_snow

Will project Tiny have support for Facebook Messenger SDK?

19. Brad-Newman

Brad-Newman

Aiursrage2k and brianpeiris like this.
  20. MBest_Unity

MBest_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, 3D/AR are certainly on our roadmap, but expect the next while to be focused on making sure we have the 2D feature set that folks need and that the core is a solid foundation. Tiny will be a way to deliver AR in more instant use cases. We need WebXR to ship in browsers for it to be something we can support.

21. walledcityinfotech

walledcityinfotech

@MBest_Unity
    Hi, any news regarding c# support? Been holding my horses for too long now bro.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Deleted User, zhuchun and phuocnbit like this.
  22. jGate99

jGate99

Im expecting it to be revealed on GDC 2019

castana1962, FROS7 and Zoelovezle like this.
  23. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Really need Ar support

24. wayneglows

wayneglows

What use-case is there for AR on a tiny framework?

25. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Project Tiny is built using a modular architecture, letting you pick and choose what functionality to include. It uses a pure data-oriented ECS approach which results in high performance with a small code size. The current feature set is focused on building instant 2D games and playable ads. In future releases, additional features will be added to build instant 3D and AR games and experiences. You can find more detailed feature and functionality information on our Solutions page.​

Apple has its USDZ but its limited in functionality... just spawn an object somewhere in AR.

Being able to instantly run AR experiences instantly on your phone without requiring an APP would be huge and SCALABLE. Imagine going to a site like wallmart or whatever clicking to the link and then being able to see what AR object looks like in your house (this is already possible with USDZ -- but lets say you wanted to do something else like have multiple AR objects do something with image targets etc), trying some experience IE AR shoes or whatever.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    raymondyunity and jGate99 like this.
  26. walledcityinfotech

walledcityinfotech

Still no news regarding c# support..? :(

27. vb2s360

vb2s360

Unity team is so silent right now.. I guess @jGate99 is right, we have to wait for GDC (March 18-22) to have the new roadmap revealed.

28. Rupture13

Rupture13

Even a confirmation that GDC is when we'll hear more would be nice.

29. Tomiha_be

Tomiha_be

Is there an updated roadmap available?
    We are currently considering Project Tiny for one of our next projects, but it depends on some of the components that are not yet available. One of the things is the C# support, is that something for the near future?

Kind Regards,
    Thomas Goussaert

30. solarisn

solarisn

We're not planning to wait for the powers that be to properly support WebXR (*cough* Apple). 8th Wall has managed to pull off VIO in-browser already and we've found that the quality is good enough to enable a lot of awesome use-cases. Google already has ARCore support for Instant Apps in closed beta and we're willing to patch together support for that when native platform targets & 3D are supported by Tiny (with JNI support).

I expect Apple will put off WebXR as long as possible in favor of an "Instant App" equivalent so that they can maintain control over content distribution.

31. zwcloud

zwcloud

Any plans to support native iOS and Android (not webview)?

jay-jin likes this.
  32. NiallT

NiallT

That would seem a bit weird, because the entire system is built on the concept of using browser tech to keep size down. Not using webview would involve replicating all that functionality in libraries, basically reconstructing the full functionality of an HTML5 browser from the ground up using OS APIs.

While I imagine they could get to that point eventually while bringing the codebases closer, I don't really see any use-case that makes this a priority.

33. zwcloud

zwcloud

Have you ever heard of a JavascriptCore based cross-platfom(Android & iOS) application? That's what I mean.

NiallT and Zoelovezle like this.
  34. NiallT

NiallT

I hadn't, and that's very interesting indeed.

35. NiallT

NiallT

(Although as Unity's medium-term target is to compile C# to WebAsm, not Javascript, I don't think JavascriptCore features on the roadmap.)

36. profanicus

profanicus

Afternoon all. :)

We currently use a Javascript ECS engine for our browser games, and are following Tiny with interest. It's looking excellent so far!

I missed the survey so wanted to chime in to say the big-ticket missing feature for us is the bone-based animation. I see the roadmap lists Spine import as under consideration - that would be ideal as it's our tool of choice for animating characters.

Other less-critical stuff would include arbitary native font, as we need to dynamically load different fonts depending on region and like them sharp across varying res. Also doing some work with microphone input and speech recognition.

Cheers!

raymondyunity likes this.
  37. vincismurf

vincismurf

Will other ECS based packages like the AI Planner work in the Tiny environment?

38. Thaina

Thaina

Are there any update on 3D tiny?

mauriciofelippe likes this.
  39. marval

marval

" finally someone asked that! " , good question!

mauriciofelippe likes this.
  40. NaslyKon

NaslyKon

hope to support WeChat Small Game.

Lishtys, fancyar and ihonk like this.
  41. liiijz

liiijz

When to support 3D?

42. ovirta

ovirta

Just started familiarizing with Tiny Project and it seems a perfect fit for our needs currently. Small, fast to load, runs in the browser. Big Kudos to whole team working on it!

Are there any updates on the roadmap as the original presentation was from December last year?

Especially interested on Audio and Microphone input side of things. Any updates there?

43. mauriciofelippe

mauriciofelippe

I'm waiting for that.

TimmyCom likes this.
  44. liaofeng7

liaofeng7

Me too

TimmyCom likes this.
  45. jGate99

jGate99

Its coming in Unite on Septmeber, there is a dedicated talk for this.

TimmyCom likes this.
  46. georgeq

georgeq

I expected to see some version numbers / estimated dates or whatever time related information.

47. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Any info about 3d support, isnt that what unity is most known for