Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Project Tiny Fall update “Tiny Racing" preview.3 - 020.0 is available

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by JC-Cimetiere, Dec 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

/!\ February 25 Update: preview 0.22 available - check details here /!\
    /!\ January 31 Update: preview 0.21 available - check details here /!\

-----------------------------
    Last September at Unite Copenhagen 2019 we presented the updated roadmap of Project Tiny (session recording and quick summary) showing an early version of the Tiny Racing demo, which we are releasing today. As previously announced, this preview includes initial 3D rendering features and build targets for iOS/Android/HTML5/Windows & Mac.

Getting started​
    First a word of warning: this is an early preview with many missing features and incomplete or non-existent user workflows, so don’t be discouraged by the bumps on the road.
    We have a complete guide which includes instructions for getting started as well as known issues. This will be a living document so check for updates with the latest information.
    Some of the key things to know upfront:
    • While the authoring experience is similar to any other Unity project, you’ll see some notable rendering differences when switching between scene/game view and Edit/Play modes and the actual player build
    • The GameObject to Entity conversion for Project Tiny is not available for all Unity features, but the Editor does not filter out the features with no conversion code defined which may lead to user adding unsupported features/behaviour
    • Current preview doesn’t include any features in the following areas: 2D, UI, Physics, Networking, Animation.
    Please read through the guide to understand the current project state, limitations, and information.

About the “Tiny Racing” sample project
    This preview of Project Tiny is centered around the TinyRacing sample project, which is intended as a lightweight example of the type of content you can build with Project Tiny. It is a complete game slice showing a number of elements such as accepting input, implementing simple AI, handling collisions, and similar. Please explore and play around with the sample project to get a feel for what developing with pure DOTS looks like. Some aspects of this project are workarounds for missing overall features (such as UI), but will be replaced by the real solution once those features become available.

Before you jump in the project, take it for a spin right here with the Web version

Sharing feedback​
    This forum is the best place to open discussions and ask questions. When you encounter a bug, please use the Unity Bug Reporter in the Unity Editor, accessible via Help > Report a Bug. Include “Project Tiny” in the title to help our staff triage things appropriately!
    For more details on how to report a bug, please visit this page..

What’s next?
    Starting in 2020, will be delivering frequent incremental updates with features and bug fixes. Support for Unity.Physics and 2D are planned in January. During Q1 2020, we will lay out a more precise roadmap as well.

Note to early adopters of Project Tiny preview-0.16.1 or older
    If you have been working with preview-0.16.1 or older, content you’ve authored will have to be reworked and C# code will also need to be manually migrated. There is no automated upgrade from older previews.

Thanks again for your feedback and engagement!

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2021
  2. Maras

Maras

Thank you for the early Christmas!

3. yossi_horowitz_artie

yossi_horowitz_artie

Congrats on getting this out the door!

4. Maras

Maras

I tried the demo:
    - Runs well on Desktop and Galaxy S6
    - Runs poorly on Galaxy XCover 4 Firefox/Chrome (it is not a very powerful device, but it would handle much more complex native app). Should we expect that the performance will improve?
    - Does not work on Galaxy Tab 4 (white screen) - tried just on Chrome for now

I am excited to try it properly tomorrow and dive into it. :)

JamesArndt likes this.
  5. v_vuk

v_vuk

Unity Technologies

Give this version a try, which is built with asmjs instead of webassembly -- http://www.tiny.vision/TinyRacing-asm

We'll have a proper loader in the near future that'll choose either a wasm or asmjs build.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    drawcode, itsarjunsinh and Maras like this.
  6. MattRix

MattRix

Maras likes this.
  7. Maras

Maras

I think there is no preloader, so you just need to wait for a while before it gets loaded.

8. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Windows defender reports this for bundled bee.exe on TinyRacing:

Edit: Apparently this is a known issue with unsigned exe.

9. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

we are looking into this as this came up today as well on our side. Stay tuned!

rz_0lento likes this.
  10. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

Hi rizu,
    We have fixed this issue and released a new version of com.unity.dots.runtime (0.1.0-preview.5) package
    Also, we have updated the sampels projects, so just pull the latest changes and try to build again.

rz_0lento likes this.
  11. c0dt

c0dt

The game looks nice. Well done guys.

I checkout the source code from github but i got this in my editor.

Is it normal?

Attached Files:

12. Maras

Maras

Galaxy Tab 4 asm.js this happens on both TinyRacer and HelloWorld
    - Chrome/Opera: goes from white screen to black screen after a while. It seems that the game is just not rendered though. The sounds run and I can press the black screen in the bottom right corner to accelerate.
    - Firefox: goes from white screen to black screen and then the whole device restarts

HelloWorld on Galaxy XCover4 works a bit better, but it is also not optimal. Are ways how to boost the performance on low-end devices while using Tiny? For example, Funky Karts Wasm Demo works really well on XCover4 (although the resolution of the game is scaled down quite a lot)

Edit:

Tried Android build as well (for any of you who try it on 2019.3.0f3, you might need to manually reference the preinstalled Android NDK instead of the auto referenced one "installed with Unity")

- <5MB apk size, nice! :)
    - Galaxy XCover 4, the performance of the native app is similar to WASM build (runs very slowly, about 1-2 FPS)
    - Galaxy Tab 4, works as an android app, but the performance is similar to XCover 4
    - Works well on Galaxy S6

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  13. facundo_unity961

facundo_unity961

Yes! Early christmas indeed! :D

14. matthew-holtzem

matthew-holtzem

Opened up both of the sample projects and can't seem to make a windows build. Keep getting

Code (CSharp):
    1. ild Windows-DotNet failed in BuildStepRunBee after 2.50s.
    2. [     0s] Build frontend of artifacts\buildprogram\tundra_buildprogram.dag ran (build file timestamp changed: asmdefs.json)
    3. [11/13  0s] CSProject C:/Users/matthew.holtzem/Documents/ProjectTinySamples/TinyRacing/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5/bee~/BuildProgramBuildProgramSources/buildprogrambuildprogram.gen.csproj
    4. error: Value cannot be null.
    5. Parameter name: executableStringFor (System.ArgumentNullException)
    6.   at Bee.Core.Backend.AddAction
    7.   at Unity.BuildSystem.NativeProgramSupport.CLikeCompiler.SetupInvocation
    8.   at Unity.BuildSystem.NativeProgramSupport.NativeProgram.SetupObjectFilesAndSetupBuiltNativeProgram
    9.   at Unity.BuildSystem.NativeProgramSupport.NativeProgram.SetupSpecificConfigurationImpl
    10.   at Unity.BuildSystem.NativeProgramSupport.NativeProgram.SetupSpecificConfiguration
    11.   at DotsRuntimeCSharpProgram.SetupNativeProgram
    12.   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary
    13.   at Unity.BuildSystem.CSharpSupport.CSharpProgram.SetupSpecificConfiguration
    14.   at DotsRuntimeCSharpProgram.SetupSpecificConfiguration
    15.   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary
    16.   at Unity.BuildSystem.CSharpSupport.CSharpProgram.SetupSpecificConfiguration
    17.   at DotsRuntimeCSharpProgram.SetupSpecificConfiguration
    18.   at System.Linq.Enumerable+WhereSelectArrayIterator`2[TSource,TResult].MoveNext
    19.   at System.Linq.Buffer`1[TElement]..ctor
    20.   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray
    21.   at BuildProgram.Main
    22.   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod
    23.   at Bee.StandaloneBeeDriver+<>c.<CreateBuildGraph>b__42_0
    24.   at Bee.StandaloneBeeDriver.RunBuildProgramInBeeEnvironment
    25.   at Bee.StandaloneBeeDriver.CreateBuildGraph
    26.   at Bee.StandaloneBeeDriver.BuildMain
    27.   at Bee.StandaloneBeeDriver.Main
    28. [E] DAG generator driver failed: "C:\Users\matthew.holtzem\Documents\ProjectTinySamples\TinyRacing\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5\bee~\bee.exe" build --beemode=ToCreateBuildGraph --commandlinerequest=Windows-DotNet --root-artifacts-path=artifacts --bee-driver-buildprogramroot=.
    29. *** Tundra build failed to setup error (1.01 seconds), 0 items updated
    this is for a DotNet build. il2cpp gives me a much longer error message but seems to be for a similar reason

15. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Hi Matthew,
    can you double check you have Visual Studio with the following components installed: Desktop development with c++, .NET desktop development.
    Also can you try to move your project folder "ProjectTinySamples/TinyRacing" directly to the root of your drive "C:/"?

16. matthew-holtzem

matthew-holtzem

I'm guessing it's the visual studio thing. I have been using visual studio code recently and assumed that was just fine. Thanks!

17. LeroyK

LeroyK

Is anyone else receiving this compilation error?

Code (CSharp):
    1. Library/PackageCache/com.unity.tiny.rendering@0.20.0-preview.3/Runtime/Unity.Tiny.Rendering.Native/RendererBGFX.cs(12,18): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Web' does not exist in the namespace 'Unity.Tiny' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    I am using Unity version 2019.3.0f3 with all packages updated (including preview packages)
    Edit: Editor is set to WebGL

18. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

Please make sure the editor is set to PC, Mac & Linux Standalone. Switching the platform doesn't matter for the dots runtime builds and may cause issues.

19. LeroyK

LeroyK

I see, thank you!

If I am following the doc correctly, I need to create a build by navigating to /Assets/Build and then select Asmjs (for a web deployment).
    However, the only file in that folder that is selectable is 'Common'. All the other files have a blank white page icon.

Even if I attempt to build Common I get this error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Build Common failed after 0ms.
    2. No valid build pipeline found for Common. At least one component that derives from IBuildPipelineComponent must be present.
    Note, trying to populate m_Dependencies in Common with Asmjs doesn't work as none of those files are recognised as Build Settings files.

Opening up Asmjs in Visual Studio Code doesn't show any immediate issues with it:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. {
    2.     "Dependencies": [
    3.         "GlobalObjectId_V1-1-a25f9bf585972264c84d293ca590288e-93214019566545601-0"
    4.     ],
    5.     "Components": [{
    6.         "$type": "Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.DotsRuntimeBuildProfile, Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build",
    7.         "ShouldWriteDataFiles": true,
    8.         "EnableManagedDebugging": false,
    9.         "EnableMultiThreading": false,
    10.         "EnableBurst": true,
    11.         "RootAssembly": "GlobalObjectId_V1-1-b8054f08a81e46349ae9c9fe5bf3b267-5897886265953266890-0",
    12.         "Target": "asmjs",
    13.         "Configuration": 2,
    14.         "Pipeline": "GlobalObjectId_V1-1-56241f83dacec1141b7d967eb30bf934-93214019566545601-0",
    15.         "BeeTargetOverride": null
    16.     }, {
    17.         "$type": "Unity.Platforms.Web.EmscriptenSettings, Unity.Platforms.Web",
    18.         "EmccArgs": [
    19.             "TOTAL_MEMORY=128MB"
    20.         ]
    21.     }]
    22. }
    I have scripting Backend set to Mono and Api Compatibility set to .NET Standard 2.0

20. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

You can select those other files with blank white page icon, and reimport them. Then they should be recognised as build settings again.

21. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

22. LeroyK

LeroyK

Thank you!

23. Thaina

Thaina

Testing the racing demo in Nokia 7 plus chrome. Somehow work well but still has a bit of lag and shaking (position warping backward)

24. biscito

biscito

i didn't get where you put this :
    1. Unity.Entities

2. Unity.Transforms

3. Unity.Mathematics

4. Unity.Tiny.Core

5. Unity.Tiny.Rendering

6. Unity.Tiny.EntryPoint

7. Unity.Tiny.Main
    if someone can make screenshots, please

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  25. warren-miller-maltd

warren-miller-maltd

are you on a mac? I get that too.

26. warren-miller-maltd

warren-miller-maltd

don't change the build platform - you build by using the configurations in the Build folder

27. warren-miller-maltd

warren-miller-maltd

When I do a asmjs build and run it from behind a webserver in Chrome I get this error :"Uncaught trap!"
    I can't run from Chrome using file:/// without getting this error:

Access to XMLHttpRequest at 'file:///Users/warren/Downloads/ProjectTinySamples-master/Tiny3D/Builds/Asmjs-Tiny3D/Tiny3D.js' from origin 'null' has been blocked by CORS policy: Cross origin requests are only supported for protocol schemes: http, data, chrome, chrome-extension, https.

Can anyone get a web build to work? thanks

28. MasoInar

MasoInar

It's there in document: 'Playing directly from a file:// URL is not supported due to web browser security constraints.'

You need to launch it using some kind of web server. I'm using Visual Studio Code with Live Server plugin and with that it works without problems

29. mgear

mgear

from firefox can disable that check in about:config
    and set security.fileuri.strict_origin_policy = false

in chrome need to run with commandline option:
    https://gist.github.com/unitycoder/2f863bfa64725ac9e21c160d094828c6

*but my chrome fails on some other error?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. SceneStreamingSystem: Failed to load 46b433b264c69cbd39f04ad2e5d12be8
    2. blob:file:///bc270a3a-3212-4006-86d6-e6dae4988576:19 [libil2cpp] A managed exception was thrown. The Tiny runtime does not support managed exceptions.
    3. blob:file:///bc270a3a-3212-4006-86d6-e6dae4988576:19 [libil2cpp] The exception message is: Failed to load the boot configuration scene.
    4. blob:file:///bc270a3a-3212-4006-86d6-e6dae4988576:19 [libil2cpp] No native stack trace exists. Make sure this is platform supports native stack traces.
    5. blob:file:///bc270a3a-3212-4006-86d6-e6dae4988576:120

warren-miller-maltd likes this.
  30. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

Create an assembly definition and add the above assemblies as references like the image below
    upload_2019-12-16_9-10-13.png

biscito likes this.
  31. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with URP Hybrid rendering. Dots runtime/Tiny Builds should work fine.

32. Thaina

Thaina

Build Tiny3D project with 2020.1.0a16 as tiny-wasm on windows is success and work fine even on mobile

But I can't figure out how to change viewport resolution or finding the html template. The project settings was mission both DOTS and Tiny. Is it because I use 2020 or any other reason?

33. vincismurf

vincismurf

Won't Build =(
    2019.30f1

34. Thaina

Thaina

Try disable Burst in the build setting, or change dotnet to IL2Cpp maybe?

35. vincismurf

vincismurf

No Luck

36. LeroyK

LeroyK

Hey, I had this issue as well. After double checking all my packages were up-to-date I deleted the library folder and then re-opened Unity. It worked afterwards for me (on mac). Hopefully that fixes it for you!

vincismurf likes this.
  37. vincismurf

vincismurf

Still nothing with a new library

38. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

@vincismurf, this is the first we've seen this one. Could you perchance zip up your Library/DotsRuntimeBuild/artifacts/Stevedore directory from your project and either post it here or submit a bug with it? Thanks!

vincismurf likes this.
  39. vincismurf

vincismurf

Done

Here is a link to SteveDore

40. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

Okay, that helps! Now I suspect that it might fix itself if you delete
    %HOME%/AppData/Local/Stevedore/artifacts/dots-editor-tools
    . If it doesn't, would you mind zipping up that (much smaller) directory and uploading it?

Thanks again for the report!

vincismurf likes this.
  41. Thaina

Thaina

42. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

The way to do it is:
    • In the main Scene (not the dots subscene), Add a new game object and rename it to Configuration
    • Add TinyDisplayInfo component to that game object
    • Set the resolution as you wish then build and run (For web builds make sure to hard relead the page to avoid loading cached version of your game)
      upload_2019-12-16_17-40-29.png

This workflow is still under development and will change in the upcoming versions of Tiny

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Thaina likes this.
  43. Thaina

Thaina

@AbdulAlgharbi Thank you very much. But I would like to ask is this workflow was documented anywhere? I can't find it in complete guide

44. Thaina

Thaina

@AbdulAlgharbi Add configuration and display info not only don't work but also cause some weird effect like it was disable lighting

upload_2019-12-17_11-12-1.png

upload_2019-12-17_11-12-19.png

upload_2019-12-17_11-12-37.png

45. caladluin

caladluin

@AbdulAlgharbi - is there a way to either: a) create a c++ plugin that I can use to call a function in C# (which I could then call from JS) or b) otherwise call a function/pass data between the JS containing the page and C#?

46. Thaina

Thaina

47. doarp

doarp

On iOS Safari browser I’m getting white squares instead of UI/sprites. min the asm link the road is also white.

48. vincismurf

vincismurf

That worked!!!!

Many Thanks

49. sven233

sven233

Hi, I am try to build a asmjs release. but it have some thing rong, any one help me how could i fix it?

Build Asmjs failed in BuildStepRunBee after 7.66s.
    [ 0s] Build frontend of artifacts\buildprogram\buildprogram_buildprogram.dag ran (build file timestamp changed: bee.config)
    [2/6 0s] Download and unpack artifacts/buildprogrambuildprogram/Stevedore/7za-win-x64/.StevedoreVersion (+1 other)
    [3/6 0s] Download and unpack artifacts/buildprogrambuildprogram/Stevedore/roslyn-csc-win64/.StevedoreVersion (+1 other)
    [4/6 0s] Download and unpack artifacts/buildprogrambuildprogram/Stevedore/referenceassemblies_v46/.StevedoreVersion (+1 other)
    [5/6 0s] Csc artifacts/buildprogram/buildprogram_buildprogram.exe (+2 others)
    [ 0s] Destroying Roslyn Shared Compiler Server
    [ 2s] Build frontend of artifacts\buildprogram\tundra_buildprogram.dag ran (build file timestamp changed: bee.config)
    [ 0s] Delete 13 artifact files that are no longer in use. (like C:\Users\sven\Desktop\TinyRacing\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5\bee~\BuildProgramBuildProgramSources\buildprogrambuildprogram.gen.csproj)
    [ 1/13 0s] CSProject C:/TinyRacing/Library/DotsRuntimeBuild/buildprogram.gen.csproj
    [ 2/13 0s] CSProject C:/TinyRacing/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5/bee~/BuildProgramBuildProgramSources/buildprogrambuildprogram.gen.csproj
    [ 3/13 0s] WriteResponseFile artifacts/rsp/16678227308262555357.rsp
    [ 4/13 0s] VisualStudioSolution build.gen.sln
    [ 5/13 0s] WriteResponseFile artifacts/rsp/1008532451738831585.rsp
    [ 6/13 0s] CopyTool artifacts/buildprogrambuildprogram.exe/Release/bee.exe
    [ 7/13 0s] CopyTool artifacts/buildprogram/bee.exe
    [ 8/13 0s] Download and unpack artifacts/Stevedore/7za-win-x64/.StevedoreVersion (+1 other)
    [ 9/13 0s] Download and unpack artifacts/Stevedore/referenceassemblies_v471/.StevedoreVersion (+1 other)
    [10/13 0s] Download and unpack artifacts/Stevedore/roslyn-csc-win64/.StevedoreVersion (+1 other)
    [11/13 0s] Csc artifacts/buildprogrambuildprogram.exe/Release/buildprogrambuildprogram.exe (+2 others)
    [12/13 1s] Csc artifacts/buildprogram/buildprogram.exe (+2 others)
    [ 0s] Destroying Roslyn Shared Compiler Server
    error: ֵ����Ϊ null��
    ������: executableStringFor (System.ArgumentNullException)
    at Bee.Core.Backend.AddAction
    at Unity.BuildSystem.NativeProgramSupport.CLikeCompiler.SetupInvocation
    at Unity.BuildSystem.NativeProgramSupport.NativeProgram.SetupObjectFilesAndSetupBuiltNativeProgram
    at Unity.BuildSystem.NativeProgramSupport.NativeProgram.SetupSpecificConfigurationImpl
    at Unity.BuildSystem.NativeProgramSupport.NativeProgram.SetupSpecificConfiguration
    at DotsRuntimeCSharpProgram.SetupNativeProgram
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary
    at Unity.BuildSystem.CSharpSupport.CSharpProgram.SetupSpecificConfiguration
    at DotsRuntimeCSharpProgram.SetupSpecificConfiguration
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary
    at Unity.BuildSystem.CSharpSupport.CSharpProgram.SetupSpecificConfiguration
    at DotsRuntimeCSharpProgram.SetupSpecificConfiguration
    at System.Linq.Enumerable+WhereSelectArrayIterator`2[TSource,TResult].MoveNext
    at System.Linq.Buffer`1[TElement]..ctor
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray
    at BuildProgram.Main
    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod
    at Bee.StandaloneBeeDriver+<>c.<CreateBuildGraph>b__42_0
    at Bee.StandaloneBeeDriver.RunBuildProgramInBeeEnvironment
    at Bee.StandaloneBeeDriver.CreateBuildGraph
    at Bee.StandaloneBeeDriver.BuildMain
    at Bee.StandaloneBeeDriver.Main
    [E] DAG generator driver failed: "C:\TinyRacing\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.1.0-preview.5\bee~\bee.exe" build --beemode=ToCreateBuildGraph --commandlinerequest=Asmjs --root-artifacts-path=artifacts --bee-driver-buildprogramroot=.
    *** Tundra build failed to setup error (5.39 seconds), 0 items updated
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogFormat(LogType, LogOption, Object, String, Object[])
    Unity.Build.BuildPipelineResult:LogResult() (at C:/Users/sven/Desktop/TinyRacing/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Build/BuildPipelineResult.cs:126)
    Unity.Build.<>c:<.cctor>b__43_0(BuildSettings) (at C:/Users/sven/Desktop/TinyRacing/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Build/BuildSettingsScriptedImporterEditor.cs:41)
    Unity.Build.<>c__DisplayClass34_0:<RefreshHeader>b__1() (at C:/Users/sven/Desktop/TinyRacing/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.3.0-preview.4/Unity.Build/BuildSettingsScriptedImporterEditor.cs:229)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

50. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

@svenloveu, this is what happens right now when you're on Windows and you don't have the Visual Studio C++ and .NET Desktop workloads installed, even for web targets. We intend to fix this so that you only need those for Windows targets.

tonialatalo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.