Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Project Tiny 0.31 preview is available

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by JC-Cimetiere, Nov 2, 2020.

1. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

The new 0.31 preview of “Project Tiny” has landed!
    You might have noticed we skipped releasing 0.30 so don’t look for it, you haven’t missed anything.
    As always, please visit the “Getting Started Guide” for important details, in particular system requirements & dependencies (this preview requires Unity 2020.1.10f1).

Remember that the best way to experiment with Project Tiny is to start from the samples available at https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ProjectTinySamples.
    Now, let’s take a look at the new features

Highlights:
    • New scene management pipeline: no longer need the subscene:

• Initial support for customizable shaders
      This preview brings initial support for custom shaders that have fixed parameters. More specifically, shaders must have material properties that must match the ‘Universal Render Pipeline/Lit' shader, and vertex attributes and uniforms that match the Tiny lit shader. See the Shaders section
    • Game saves/preferences support
      The game save system allows data to be saved to a file in persistent storage, so that data lives beyond the lifetime of each gaming session. Each piece of data has a string key and a data value. All of the game save functionality exists in the Unity.Tiny.GameSave namespace. See Game save system section.
    • Support for JSON
      We’ve added a lightweight and fast JSON implementation that allows for parsing, reading, writing, and removing of JSON fields with a dictionary-like interface. See JSON section. And before you ask, yes we plan to have an HTTP library (it is work in progress).
    • Custom web templates are now supported
      When building content for the web, you might want to use your own html code for the main page or add additional files, such as css styles, JavaScript libraries or images, to the build. This can be easily achieved by using web templates.
    • 2D updates
      In Tiny 0.31 we have simplified the setup for 2D projects by including 2D authoring and 2D Tiny runtime pipeline into the Tiny package. This means that all you need to begin Project Tiny 2D development is the Tiny All package. Tiny All contains all the 2D features that were previously included in the 2D Entities package.
      If your project previously included the 2D Entities package, make sure to first uninstall the 2D Entities package from your project, and then install the latest Tiny.All package. Also note that the namespace for 2D components is now Unity.Tiny.x instead of Unity.U2D.Entities.x, i.e. Unity.U2D.Entities.SpriteRenderer is now Unity.Tiny.SpriteRenderer.
    This preview includes a few other new features:
    • Build Configurations:
      • Add Version field to GeneralSettings build component
      • Graphics settings now works on mobile platforms
      • Support for native app icons in Android and iOS apps
    • Support for Bursted ECBs
    • Multi-camera support
    • Blendshapes support
    • Support incremental conversion
    This preview comes with many bug fixes too, including:
    • Enhanced emscripten build settings component
    • Skinned meshes don't work with unlit shaders
    • WebpEncoderNativeCalls.LibName is undefined if the Editor target platform is anything else than PC standalone one (the default)
    • Some rendering systems are in wrong ComponentSystemGroup
    • Particle billboards do not face camera when rotation is applied
    • Particle billboard uv coordinates do not match Unity
    • jslib files in project asmdef directories are not linked with for web builds
    • Unlit shader without texture is not rendering properly
    • Optimize the dots generate solution window
    • Unify app/bundle id between iOS and Android build components
    We’ve continued to expand the “Getting Started Guide” adding more documentation on existing and new features. We also have a new sample project, “Tiny Kitchen” mini game (which was built during an internal game jam). The source of the project is available along with the other samples at https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ProjectTinySamples/tree/master/TinyKitchen

Finally, as announced in the previous forum post we are going to release the source of the new demo "Skelebuddies Halloween Run" mini game. You can play on Facebook Instant Game or the web version here

Sharing feedback
    This forum is the best place to open discussions and ask questions. When you encounter a bug, please use the Unity Bug Reporter in the Unity Editor, accessible via Help > Report a Bug. Include “Project Tiny” in the title to help our staff triage things appropriately!
    For more details on how to report a bug, please visit this page.

Thanks again for your feedback and engagement!

2. dannyalgorithmic

dannyalgorithmic

Will 2D features always require Project Tiny (or some derivative of) or will these features eventually be available in a regular DOTS project and without the need for referencing Project Tiny?

OldMage, MegamaDev and NotaNaN like this.
  3. tmars

tmars

JC-Cimetiere likes this.
  4. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

@dannyalgorithmic 2Ds current DOTS focus is creating a solid foundation for our feature set. Project Tiny offers a "pure" DOTS experience, which makes this a perfect area for us to build this foundation upon. Once we have solidified the foundation, we will most likely expand outside of Project Tiny, however, we do not have a time frame for that yet.

We are interested in hearing what problems a non Project Tiny 2D solution would solve for you, so do let us know. Also any feedback on the current feature set, and missing features are very appreciated!

NotaNaN, V_i_T and dannyalgorithmic like this.
  5. dannyalgorithmic

dannyalgorithmic

Well I want a way to quickly display 2d graphics and use 2d physics for a card game to prototype mechanics quicker, even if not exactly production ready.

As for suggestion? A way to display entity/component data in UIToolkit Runtime (since card games tend to rely heavily on UI for information). If it's there, it's not obvious to someone as moderately skilled at these systems as I am.

NotaNaN and V_i_T like this.
  6. Vidosen

Vidosen

How or where I can set up the store URLs and link them to mraid.open() function for Playable Ad? Didn't find any info about that. Thank you in advance.

woosh3 likes this.
  7. mizushino

mizushino

Can I draw text in 2D?
    If not, is it possible to place 3D in front of 2D?

8. itairegev

itairegev

Awesome!
    Can you share the schedule of your next versions? when do you expect Tiny v1 to be released?

9. cultureulterior

cultureulterior

This is great news! For future material property links, are you going to match how hybrid dots currently interfaces with material properties, e.g the [MaterialProperty] attribute? Obviously I'd prefer Shadergraph support, but I'd be willing to postprocess shadergraph outputs to make them work in Tiny.

Edit: Are saves synchronous or asynchronous?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  10. itsarjunsinh

itsarjunsinh

Project Tiny is shaping up to be an awesome and cohesive way to make games using DOTS. Kudos to the devs working on this. The Project Tiny development workflow is far superior than the mess which is DOTS in Hybrid Unity workflow where many things (eg. input) don't play well while Project Tiny just implemented a save system.

I'm tempted to stop making my desktop game with the Frankensteinish Unity Hybrid DOTS and switch to Project Tiny.

ETA on (game) builds for Linux?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    NotaNaN, Maras and V_i_T like this.
  11. V_i_T

V_i_T

I am also interested in ETA for Linux.
    I tried the new version 0.31 today and I managed to build several projects for Android, Wasm and Linux. I have Ubuntu. And everything was configured as in the documentation https://docs.google.com/document/d/...HfnAX-CpYLK3aOdwA/edit#heading=h.v800itdhq7vv

Problems in version 0.31 arose only when creating Build Configuration for Linux, since the editor interface doesn't work well under Linux. But I did it like this:
    1. Duplicated Assets/Build/Windows-DotNet
    2. Renamed a new copy to Linux-DotNet
    3. Opened this file in a text editor and changed the “Target” line from “windows-dotnet” to “linux-dotnet”
    4. Saved the file
    5. Clicking "Build and Run"
    Maybe it will be useful to someone

itsarjunsinh likes this.
  12. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

You can use Text Rendering to display text in a Tiny application. The text will be rendered on top of all 2D content.

13. Thaina

Thaina

Could we expect UI Toolkit in near future version? Or is it far future?

V_i_T and dannyalgorithmic like this.
  14. mizushino

mizushino

Thank you! I was able to see that the text was rendered on top of all 2d content.

15. n653b447

n653b447

Excuse me.
    My project can play in Unity Editor but it will be NOT working on website like HTML5 and can't find Tiny setting in the ProjectSetting page neither.
    I got an error msg at Common Tiny-3D like the following figure shows.
    what should I do?

Attached Files:

16. CocosGames

CocosGames

You should not build the game with a common configuration, shoud you?
    Read the guide first.

17. n653b447

n653b447

Thanks your reply,
    Well, actually I read,
    Yes, I did. I'm not build the game with a common configuration, I want to know everyone push play button can open the website?
    or running remain in Unity?

18. CocosGames

CocosGames

If you read it carefully, you should know not to touch the play button.

19. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Live Link is not available for Project Tiny.
    Please refer to the "Running & Debugging" section of the getting started guide
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/...HfnAX-CpYLK3aOdwA/edit#heading=h.6xwqce97jysu

Also check this thread: https://forum.unity.com/threads/lat...rom-github-0-31-problems.998608/#post-6483934

20. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Sorry, no ETA for Linux.
    Details on the docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...HfnAX-CpYLK3aOdwA/edit#heading=h.v800itdhq7vv

21. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Sorry, no ETA on Linux.
    And you rightfully pointed to the correct section of the Getting Started guide.
    THANK YOU for reading the user manual ;-)

Editor interface issues will be looked at, but it won't be high priority. Thanks for sharing the workaround.

NotaNaN likes this.
  22. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

We plan to have one more preview before end of year.
    but for a v1 release we have not decided yet.
    as share in a previous post:
    Roadmap update
    Although we are moving at a steady pace to grow the feature set, we still have some ground to cover to get to a production ready version 1.0. While we believe the current runtime is already fairly robust, we also know that we still have a lot of work remaining to deliver a great authoring experience. As explained in the Getting Started guide, the authoring workflow, which involves a GameObjects to Entities conversion, is very much work in progress with a lot of limitations on the accuracy of “preview” in the Editor, forcing the user to “Build & Run” to iterate with precision.
    We are working hard on this, but it’s too early to share the details and the timeline for when it’s ready.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/new...n-upcoming-preview-and-roadmap-update.994987/

23. paulodonnell

paulodonnell

Hi guys, new to using Project Tiny but been keeping an eye on it for a while. Currently working on creating a playable ad creative so thought I'd give it a go.

Some ad platforms (including unity) require your playable ad to be uploaded via a single html file. I noticed in the build configuration settings that the wasm output settings has a boolean for outputting a single html file. This doesnt seem to be working on the latest version 0.31 but does seem to be working in 0.29. More info in the forum post here.

Can you confirm that this is indeed an issue in 0.31 or give any advice as to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Also given the stringent size requirements for playable ads I was also testing out minifying via Closure but that also doesnt seem to be working either on the Tiny3D project. Again any help/info would be very much appreciated. Thanks again.

If it helps I'm using Unity 2020.1.11f1

d_shaposhnikov likes this.
  24. cavehunter

cavehunter

I have similar issue. I am getting a bunch of errors when I open sample projects like TinyKitchen on the lastest version Unity 2020.1.11f1.

25. n653b447

n653b447

26. Vidosen

Vidosen

Did you already find a way to redirect to app stores users that click on "Download" button in your ad? Cause I'm stuck on this stage and only option I have in mind is to update project to 0.31 preview and use JS plugins..

27. Thaina

Thaina

Also are there any plan or sample for addressable ? I have not seen them mention anywhere related to tiny. Is it already supported?

28. paulodonnell

paulodonnell

Haven't gotten that far yet unfortunately. My first task was to get the single html working which seems to only work on previous versions of Tiny. I will be looking into getting an ad uploaded and testing functionality via either Unity or Facebook soon. If you do manage to get any further and wouldn't mind sharing your learnings that would be great as their doesn't seem to be any detailed tutorials and I found the current documentation can be a bit sparse. Thanks

29. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

The Javascript plugin option (documented here) should work in preview 0.29.
    We confirmed that Single HTML output is broken in 0.31, a fix is on its way, watch this thread for future updates.

Vidosen and paulodonnell like this.
  30. atmikes1234

atmikes1234

Hi, I just made a simple mesh in Maya with blendshapes, imported it into the TinyTime preview-scene and used the Material that is used on the tiny-flag. But as soon as i make a DotNet build, my mesh is not visible anymore. And I recognized a short flicker as soon as the build starts running, if I have my mesh inside the scene. That flicker is not visible without my blendshape-mesh.

And I just realized, if I don't Import BlendShapes on my Mesh, the mesh is displayed correctly.

Did I miss something that I need to do with the blendshape-part?

31. paulodonnell

paulodonnell

@JC-Cimetiere Thanks for the quick response and looking forward to the fix

Is there anyway to get preprocessor defines working? I'm still using version 0.29 and tried adding Player Scripting Defines to my Build Configuration (screenshot attached) but they don't seem to be working unfortunately. Thanks

Attached Files:

32. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Support for Addressable System in Project Tiny is on the roadmap, we will ultimately have some support in the future, but no timeline has been locked yet.
    Right now there isn't anything like asset bundles in Project Tiny. Note that for web builds (non Single HTML file) the runtime makes HTTP calls (download) to load as needed assets at the scene/subscene level.
    We will work on samples to show how to best how to organize content to take advantage of this for Web builds.

Thaina likes this.
  33. cavehunter

cavehunter

I just updated to Unity 2020.1.12f1, and the errors got fixed. In addition, the multi-scene functionality seems to work now in TinyRacing. I see the ending now.

34. cultureulterior

cultureulterior

Would you consider a public roadmap, like the graphics teams have[1]? It would be nice to be able to vote for features

https://portal.productboard.com/8ufdwj59ehtmsvxenjumxo82/tabs/7-shader-graph

35. Thaina

Thaina

Thank you very much

So far my current feature priority is
    1 UI Toolkit
    2 Addressable
    3 Shader Graph

36. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Issue with Single HTML file had been fixed in a patch release.
    See this thread for details.

37. paulodonnell

paulodonnell

Anyone had any issues getting "Minify Output with Closure" to work? Seems to be failing when I try building the Tiny3D project.

Note: I am also using "Output Single html file"

Running with the -g1 emscripten param I get the output below:

38. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Correct, it looks like "Minify Output with Closure" cause the WASM "Release" builds to fail. You have to disable this option for now. We'll add more clarity in the next preview on how/when this option is preferred.

paulodonnell likes this.
  39. kuailaiwanli

kuailaiwanli

Hi~. Get a problem in RuntimeGeometry3D project.

Scene can't be edit , none "expand arrow" icon beside the scene in hierarchy.

40. CocosGames

CocosGames

Please add an in-editor-player or all the users will be confused.

41. CocosGames

CocosGames

And a "Build & Run from Rider" button would be very nice.

42. LazyRelm

LazyRelm

There seems to be a bug where 2d don't get rendered in any subscene open or closed in the editor. I have to take them out of the subscene to see them. Only happens with 2d, 3d objects are fine. This happens with the demos as well.

43. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

In scene view, all renderers (both 2D and 3D) should be visible both inside and outside of the subscenes. In game view, SpriteRenderers will not be visible if they are located inside a subscene. This is because the game view is showing the loaded DOTS world, while the scene view is showing you the classic Unity objects. Tiny.All does not come with a DOTS editor rendering pipeline for 2D. If you would like to enable this, please install the 2D Entities package, which is now purely a DOTS editor rendering pipeline. See these instructions on how to install the package.

44. Thaina

Thaina

Is there any limit to animation?

I try to use this package (SD unitychan) which seem like it has deep and complex bon structure. It seem usable normally in editor but when build into tiny, it can animate only at some parts and other parts are stand still

I'm not sure it because number of bone or boneweight or because this package use any other animation feature not supported in Tiny. Do we have anything need to avoid?

45. BaspooGameDev

BaspooGameDev

Hi! I found out that a Unity Tiny project that was using particle, when opened it on iOS, it'll auto refresh and stop working within short time. This also happened with an example project that you posted.
    However it had no problem when opened on desktop. Is there any solution of this?

00:21 and 00:42

Fjf, todans and Saaskun like this.
  46. CocosGames

CocosGames

Out Of Memory?
    SharedScreenshot.jpg
    Nothing wrong on Chrome, Windows 10.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  47. Saaskun

Saaskun

Same here with the tiny racing demo, It refresh the page on iphone after some seconds of playing. I changed the memory Wasm Stack Size and memory size with no success

This problem is in version 0.29.0 too

The Unity link demo works fine on iphone:
    https://tiny.vision/demos/TinyRacing/Wasm/TinyRacing.html

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  48. Fotal

Fotal

Hello everybody,
    What types of 2d animations does tiny support?
    Is there support for 2d Rig animations?
    Thanks.

49. Thaina

Thaina

Does the humanoid avatar currently work in Tiny?

If not, are there any way we could change prefab that use humanoid system to work with tiny?

50. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Tiny 0.31 does not have any 2D animation support, such as sprite swapping or skeletal animations. For the time being, you can take inspiration from the TinySpaceship's explosion system.