Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Project Tiny 0.26 preview is available

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by AbdulAlgharbi, May 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

We have just published a new preview “Project Tiny” that brings a few new features and mostly bug fixes.
    As always, please visit the “Getting Started Guide” for important details.

The samples available at https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ProjectTinySamples have been updated with the latest package versions.

What's new:
    • Project Tiny Base Class Library: Added missing types basic collections (e.g. Dictionary, associated iterators) and System.IO.Stream. We’ve created a list of what’s included in the Project Tiny Base Class Library
    • iOS: Modified iOS template project so it will use Storyboard for launch screen instead of XIB files
    • Particles: Added support Start color and gravity modifier in particles system
    • Unity version: Project Tiny now requires Unity 2019.3.12f1 as a minimum supported version
    Fixed:
    • Android Input: GetMouseButtonUp/Down does not get triggered on android
    • Audio is continues to play on iOS devices even if the silent button is turned on
    • Texture V scale < 1 has wrong behavior
    • iOS Wasm & AsmJS: No sound is playing
    • Cannot build when specifying absolute path as output directory
    • Depth sorting is not working
    About 2D Foundational features: not compatible yet with 0.26
    Please note that anyone using the 2D Foundational features (see forum announcement) which includes com.unity.2d.entities 0.22.0-preview.8, you need to continue using com.unity.tiny.all 0.22 and the related Getting started guide for Preview 0.22.

We plan to have everything synced up at some point, but for now, we've chosen to iterate 2D specific features & the core runtime at a slightly different pace, in order to deliver a more complete 2D feature set. Thanks for your patience!

What’s next?
    As we shared replies to questions about the roadmap, we still don't have a firm date for our "V1" enabling hypercasual style scenarios (see Unite Copenhagen 2019 Project Tiny roadmap session recording for details). We want to ensure first that the feature set is complete enough to enable projects to go in production, so the cut line isn't completely defined yet.
    However, we’ve updated the Feature Summary section of the getting started guide, with a bit more details about what’s planned. We'll share more as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

Sharing feedback
    This forum is the best place to open discussions and ask questions. When you encounter a bug, please use the Unity Bug Reporter in the Unity Editor, accessible via Help > Report a Bug. Include “Project Tiny” in the title to help our staff triage things appropriately!

For more details on how to report a bug, please visit this page..

Thanks again for your feedback and engagement!

NotaNaN, Thaina, Ted_Wikman and 4 others like this.
  2. NovaEiz

NovaEiz

I have been waiting for 3 months for you to add System.Net.
    When will it be?

3. Thaina

Thaina

I don't think most of the code in System.Net could work in WebGL/WASM

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Its too hot.Runing wasm or asmjs project in ios safair. That's why?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2020
  5. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

We don't plan to add any APIs in System.Net to the Tiny base class library. Can you specifically mention the use case you have? Maybe we can provide a different solution for the same use case.

6. NovaEiz

NovaEiz

I need to use Tiny as a server.
    Because the Unity build eats at least 90MB of RAM.
    This is too much for the server of a particular game (session).
    For each game on the server 90 MB...

1. I need to use NetCode.
    2. And I also need to use a web server so that 1 server build can include multiple games (sessions), and for this I need System.Net.

7. NovaEiz

NovaEiz

I will also add that I studied the NetCode code, and made changes in two lines to add the ability for the server build to have a ClientWorld when the server is assembled as a headless one, so that this ClientWorld can communicate with the main server based on NetCode, designating itself as a GameSessionManager, and creating a game session on request from the main server.
    Then in this case I can do without a web server. But it's too complicated, and I gave it up. I only spent a lot of time studying the NetCode source code)

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Will the team be adding Unity.Transport support to TINY so we can make some kinds of connected game?
    If so, any rough date?

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2020
    Skjalg likes this.
  9. dududududa

dududududa

Is Project Tiny 0.26 ready to eliminate the 16:9 limit and enable true automatic resizing to fit the browser window?

newguy123 likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Its too hot.Runing wasm or asmjs project in ios safair. That's why?Android Is OK.

11. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Our main concern is code size. The System.Net APIs pull in a good bit of code, and there is not an easy way to cut them back. We are working on a separate library for HTTP requests, as that is certainly functionality that many games need to use.

12. NovaEiz

NovaEiz

So in the future in Tiny I will be able to create an HTTP server and use NetCode?

13. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure about that. I believe the work we are doing is on the HTTP client side. I'm unsure if it will work for a server.

14. NovaEiz

NovaEiz

1. Сan you find out about implementing a web server?
    2. Answer about the NetCode. Will the NetCode server be in Tiny?

15. Skjalg

Skjalg

Networked games are an extremely important feature. Especially so for tiny so that it is possible to create a small executable where you can play with friends

16. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

hi
    While we have plans for a server, we are not ready to share anynany details now. There is no firm timeline and feature scope is being worked out.
    Stay tuned
    JC

17. BattlefieldNoob

BattlefieldNoob

have you planned to add skybox reflections support (or reflections in general)? i'm developing a simple web 3d model viewer, but metallic materials (obviously) are not metallic at all (and this forced me to use three.js)

newguy123 likes this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Here Unity has mentioned "plans for a server" and "HTTP client side". Perhaps just Unity.Transport support as a simple starting basis? Might that be in the works?

19. De-Panther

De-Panther

I see that the Base Class Library supports System.Runtime.InteropServices and DllImport.
    Does it also supports AOT and MonoPInvokeCallback?

Needs that to communicate with JS.

20. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

The `MonoPInvokeCallback` attribute is not define in the .NET BCL. You can create an attribute with that name anywhere in your code and use it though.

De-Panther likes this.
  21. JakHussain

JakHussain

Will this be a regular DOTS package that will be usable in normal DOTS projects or will this be exclusive to project tiny?

Is there any rough ETA for performant webrequests at all?

I imagine the API to be something like just creating an entity with component data that describes the header and body of the request and getting back an entity with the results.

Which brings the question, how would json serialisation and deserialisation be handled in DOTS and project tiny? I see that newtonsoft is a dependency but that's all completely object oriented. Literally, it has object notation in the name...

22. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

Hi Jak,
    The new HTTP library won't be exclusive to Project Tiny and should work in a DOTS/Hybrid context, although we will focus our QA/test first on support for Project Tiny/DOTS Runtime. Timing isn't fully confirmed but I expect we release it in July/Aug.
    As for JSON we plan to have a simple lightweight implementation to parse/write JSON. Timing would be Aug/Sept.
    Feel free to share details about the scenario you have in mind about JSON serialisation and deserialisation.
    Note that timing provided here is just my best estimate and may vary ;-)
    JC

JakHussain and NotaNaN like this.
  23. JakHussain

JakHussain

To me, that's the most exciting news I've heard out of all developments under the DOTS umbrella. In my usecase, I make web requests to authenticate a user and retrieve JSON objects that describe mesh geometry and meta data associated to each mesh. The top of the JSON hierarchy is fairly constant but as you travel into the object structure there will be more and more variance in the data's schema.

This data could be mutated in any way including nesting additional arbitrary objects within the JSON object and posting that back up to the server.

BlobAssetReferences sound like they'd be a great fit for containing JSON data except for the fact that they are designed to be immutable (though I've found a sneaky way to get around this), they do not support key-value pair fields and there is currently no other alternative for accessing arbitrary object structures via ECS. Will this new DOTS compliant JSON API introduce an alternative to BlobAssetReferences or will it extend on the foundations BlobAssets have already laid out?

Also, are there any notable limitations of a DOTS compliant Web API and JSON API that you can foresee at this point being a challenge or are the core aspects of these ideas all reasonably achievable in DOTS?

NotaNaN likes this.
  24. M12-ION

M12-ION

this is a joke

25. JoNax97

JoNax97

What a constructive comment.

26. PauSchiSea

PauSchiSea

Hello nice to hear this awsome news, i need json or yml to get positions and rotations for the scene objects Positions. it will be all loaded from a server.

i want to ask if transparency will come to the materials, this would be pretty important for me

27. NovaEiz

NovaEiz

You can use bytes instead of JSON)
    There is transparency in the materials.

28. PauSchiSea

PauSchiSea

thx for your awnser.
    yeah i saw, need to activate in the URP renderer :)
    is it Possibile to runtime load and show FBX files in Tiny? even with a Plugin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.