Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Official “Project Tiny” 0.21 is available: includes Physics and fixes

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by JC-Cimetiere, Jan 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC-Cimetiere

JC-Cimetiere

Unity Technologies

/!\ February 25 Update: preview 0.22 available - check details here /!\
    ----------------------------
    We have just published a new preview version of the “Project Tiny” packages that brings a few new features and bug fixes.
    If you are not familiar with "Project Tiny", read first our December post Project Tiny Fall update “Tiny Racing” preview.3 - 020.0 is available.

We still recommend that you use TinyRacing and/or Tiny3D sample projects (available here https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ProjectTinySamples) to experiment as they are the easiest way to get all components required for “Project Tiny”.
    Go to the “Getting Started Guide” for details.

What’s new?
    Here’s the list if new & improved features:
    • Support for full jobs api (still single threaded, though)
    • Improved shadow map quality
    • Dynamically moving lights
    • Improved sRGB support
    • Very early preview of Tiny Animation
    • Android: app suspend/resume works properly
    • Support for Unity.Physics, with TinyRacing sample updated to use it (try it here: https://tiny.vision/TinyRacing/)
    • Experimental fixed-rate simulation update, enabled by scripting define. This mechanism will be changed with the next DOTS release, but for now see the TinyRacing build configurations for examples.
    • Native resolution rendering via script define RENDERER_FORCE_DIRECT -- more robust support for rendering configuration will be coming soon
    Known issues
    • Safari iOS: occasional inability to load webassembly version. This is a general bug with Safari's WebAssembly implementation and has been reported to Apple.
    • Safari: darker rendering due to lack of sRGB support
    • Firefox: overall lower performance in Firefox compared to Chrome
    Sharing feedback
    This forum is the best place to open discussions and ask questions. When you encounter a bug, please use the Unity Bug Reporter in the Unity Editor, accessible via Help > Report a Bug. Include “Project Tiny” in the title to help our staff triage things appropriately!
    For more details on how to report a bug, please visit this page..

What’s next?
    We are working on building samples and proper documentation and more frequent incremental updates with features and bug fixes are coming. Support for 2D is on the way and before the end of Q1 2020, we will lay out a more precise roadmap as well.

Thanks again for your feedback and engagement!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    steveeHavok, V_i_T, NotaNaN and 8 others like this.
  2. Touhma_Slater

Touhma_Slater

Well ... Can't wait for the 2D support ! :D
    Wanna do crazy stuff with it !

V_i_T likes this.
  3. huodianyan

huodianyan

I have tested Unity.Tiny.Animation, there is a bug:

In editor play mode, can't see animation in Game view, but can see animation in Scene view when the subscene is opend. I think it is animated by monobehaviour

In runtime (win dotnet build), the animation is ok.

In editor mode, I can't find TinyAnimationSystemGroup, I don't know why?

I wonder is there something I missed?

I try to add unity.animation package, but it dosen't work ether.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  4. Thaina

Thaina

Where I need to put this?

5. chung_hoang_twentyci

chung_hoang_twentyci

Amazing, waiting for 2D support :)

6. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

Add a DotsRuntimeScriptingDefines component to your buildsettings asset, change size to 1, paste define in resulting text field. (Clunky, we know.)

Thaina likes this.
  7. lulier

lulier

8. huodianyan

huodianyan

I have run this project recently released, and I either can not see the animation in editor which is ok in builds.
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ProjectTinySamples/tree/master/TinyFactory

9. WildMaN

WildMaN

Physics performance rocks in editor but is horrible in wasm build. Am I missing something, or is it related to Tiny Jobs still being single-threaded?

10. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

AFAIK wasm threads are not generally available yet, so that wouldn't help anyway. I just alt-tabbed away from working on burst wasm support, which should help with this.

That said, it would be useful to know more about your project so I can verify that burst fixes it (or at least helps). Also, what browser & OS are you testing with? We are known to have poor perf in general on Firefox at the moment mostly because of rendering, unrelated to physics.

shyamarama likes this.
  11. WildMaN

WildMaN

Ah, you mean Burst is not yet available for wasm builds? That explains everything. W/o burst I get the same result in editor as well.

Basically, I stacked some cubes to form a tower and pushed the limits. 1k cubes were a 180+ FPS breeze; 8k cubes stretched an i7 a bit; 16k made it choke. But Chrome/FF wasm/asmjs aren't even remotely comparable, here's the demo with mere 128 cubes and it's laggy as hell: https://ttower.netlify.com/tinyracing

More or less the same in editor w/o Burst. And no tweaks with FixedTimestamp and such moved a needle.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    shyamarama likes this.
  12. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

Burst will have a smaller impact in wasm than it will in the editor, because SIMD support is also not there yet for wasm, but we believe it will help some. Also, the editor is slowed down by collections checks and so on, which makes it also unfair.

Are you testing this in a release wasm build, by the way? That'll have the least slow checks in it.

De-Panther likes this.
  13. WildMaN

WildMaN

Release, though I noticed no difference between release and debug. Bottleneck seems to be somewhere else.

14. ajaykumarkaranam188

ajaykumarkaranam188

Getting Errors while building "WebGL" version of TinyRacing project.

15. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

Can you please share the error that you are getting?

16. ajaykumarkaranam188

ajaykumarkaranam188

Errors are:

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.tiny.rendering@0.21.0-preview.4\Runtime\Unity.Tiny.Rendering.Native\RendererBGFX.cs(12,18): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Web' does not exist in the namespace 'Unity.Tiny' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.tiny.rendering@0.21.0-preview.4\Runtime\Unity.Tiny.Rendering.Native\ShadersBGFX.cs(12,18): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Web' does not exist in the namespace 'Unity.Tiny' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Thank you.

17. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

did you include `"com.unity.tiny.web": "0.21.0-preview.3",` in the project manifest?
    you can find the required packages in the get started doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/...HfnAX-CpYLK3aOdwA/edit#heading=h.hajo36ho6zw9
    Also, make sure the editor is switched to standalone PC, Mac & Linux

18. ajaykumarkaranam188

ajaykumarkaranam188

Build Windows-DotNet failed in BuildStepGenerateBeeFiles after 1.24s.
    Could not find a part of the path "E:\UnityPractise\TinySample\ProjectTinySamples-master\ProjectTinySamples-master\TinyRacing\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.entities@0.5.1-preview.11\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests.TestTypes\Unity.Entities.CodeGen.Tests.TestTypes.asmdef"

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Argos likes this.
  19. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

You might hit our max limit on the path length. Try to move your project to a shorter path, i.e. "E:\Unity Practise\TinyRacing"

20. ajaykumarkaranam188

ajaykumarkaranam188

Yes moving to shorter path fixed the issue .
    Thank you :).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  21. ajaykumarkaranam188

ajaykumarkaranam188

HI.
    When Tiny 2D will be released?.
    Thank you

22. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

@ajaykumarkaranam188 I'm happy that the shorter path solved your issue.

Regarding the 2D package for Tiny, it is on its way. We have a few more items to fix, but we are getting close to a release. Thank you for your patience!

V_i_T and ajaykumarkaranam188 like this.
  23. georgeq

georgeq

What happened to the DOTS menu?... I can't find the options to manage projects. Is there a new work flow? or it just doesn't work with 2020.1?

24. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

If you mean the "open dots c# solution" option, it's now under Assets, near "open c# project". Should be compatible with 20.1, let us know if you have issues there.

25. georgeq

georgeq

I'm getting this error when I try to open the DOTS runtime c# project:
    Win32Exception: ApplicationName='C:\usr\dev\Unity\Games\TinyTetris\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3\bee~\bee.exe', CommandLine='--no-colors ProjectFiles', CurrentDirectory='C:\usr\dev\Unity\Games\TinyTetris\Library\DotsRuntimeBuild', Native error= El nombre del directorio no es válido.

26. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

Is there anything below that when you expand the entry? Also, does it work for you to open the normal C# project?

27. georgeq

georgeq

Sorry I didn't see there was more below:

Win32Exception: ApplicationName='C:\usr\dev\Unity\Games\TinyTetris\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3\bee~\bee.exe', CommandLine='--no-colors ProjectFiles', CurrentDirectory='C:\usr\dev\Unity\Games\TinyTetris\Library\DotsRuntimeBuild', Native error= El nombre del directorio no es válido.

System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo) (at <e304493dc8584f28b068435a506526d3>:0)
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start () (at <e304493dc8584f28b068435a506526d3>:0)
    (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
    Unity.Platforms.Shell.StartProcess (Unity.Platforms.ShellProcessArgs args) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.platforms@0.1.8-preview.1/Editor/Unity.Platforms/Shell.cs:167)
    Unity.Platforms.Shell.RunAsync (Unity.Platforms.ShellProcessArgs args) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.platforms@0.1.8-preview.1/Editor/Unity.Platforms/Shell.cs:128)
    Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.BeeTools+<Run>d__2.MoveNext () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3/Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build/BeeTools.cs:106)
    Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.BeeTools.Run (System.String arguments, System.IO.DirectoryInfo workingDirectory, Unity.Build.BuildProgress progress) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3/Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build/BeeTools.cs:149)
    Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build.GenerateDotsSolution.GenerateSolution () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3/Unity.Entities.Runtime.Build/GenerateDotsSolution.cs:19)

The normal c# project opens without any issues.

28. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

Can you do a normal build from a build settings asset? I have a theory that if that works, you will then be able to open the project. (If so, I know what the bug is and will fix.)

29. georgeq

georgeq

It is important to remark that I'm on an completely empty project. I tried to build the project but I got these errors:

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3\TypeRegGen\ExecuteGen.cs(11,13): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Entities' does not exist in the namespace 'Unity' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3\TypeRegGen\FieldInfoGen.cs(9,13): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Entities' does not exist in the namespace 'Unity' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3\TypeRegGen\InterfaceGen.cs(7,13): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Entities' does not exist in the namespace 'Unity' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3\TypeRegGen\InterfaceGen.cs(8,13): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'IL2CPP' does not exist in the namespace 'Unity' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3\TypeRegGen\TypeRegGen.cs(8,13): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Entities' does not exist in the namespace 'Unity' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3\TypeRegGen\TypeRegGen.cs(15,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Newtonsoft' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3\TypeRegGen\TypeRegGen.cs(66,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'TypeUtils' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3\TypeRegGen\TypeRegGen.cs(123,51): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'JsonTextWriter' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3\TypeRegGen\TypeRegGen.cs(129,59): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'JsonTextWriter' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3\TypeRegGen\TypeRegGen.cs(135,58): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'JsonTextWriter' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3\TypeRegGen\TypeRegGen.cs(141,64): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'JsonTextWriter' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Error building Player because scripts had compiler errors

Build completed with a result of 'Failed'
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 12 errors
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (UnityEditor.BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x0027c] in <4e49c0b908504769a79a7b9e3faf0087>:0
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (System.Boolean askForBuildLocation, UnityEditor.BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x00080] in <4e49c0b908504769a79a7b9e3faf0087>:0
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

30. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

Looks like you have at least two issues: 1) you have an incomplete set of packages in your empty project (we are going to fix this with a meta-package soon); instead, try copying the manifest from TinyRacing and going from there. And 2) you tried to make a build from the File->Build Settings menu (which makes a big unity build, rather than a tiny build). Instead, right click on the Project window, and go Create->Build->Dots Runtime Build Configuration.

However, right now it is much easier to just copy an existing working tiny project, rather than trying to go from a blank slate. We are working on making the "blank tiny project" experience more usable, but for right now copying a sample is recommended.

31. georgeq

georgeq

1) I did create the DOTS runtime setting before trying to build the project in the normal way... however, and I hope you can forward this to the UI/UX designers... I did expect the build button to be on at the bottom of the page, so when I didn't see it, I assumed that I had to build the project the normal way... I think placing important buttons at the top of the page, without a color (or some other really notorious way) to make them stand out is a design failure.The whole new UI design is wrong, because everything is so monotonic, the contrast between elements so low, that you can very easily miss important details, specially if you are unfamiliar with the asset being inspected.

2) It seems something hung up on the compile process after I created the Root assembly, because after half an hour it hadn't still finished, so I had to kill the process via task manager.

3) The DOTS C# projects opens correctly after importing the Tiny Racer, however, if I open any of the scripts, the normal C# project is open on another instance of Visual Studio, which I think is an error. I understand I can open the file directly on the VS solution explorer, but In my opinion, that breaks the Unity-VS integration. If editor detects that there's already a DOTS runtime asset, it should open it on the DOTS project.

4) The original DOTS menu design was great, it was a genius design, I understand you had good reasons to change it, but it still make me sad you had to changed it.

32. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

1) Forwarded.

2) I have not heard about this before; which process did you have to kill? Was it taking up any CPU?

3) Yes, this is on our todo to figure out how to provide a better experience here. One fundamental problem is that we want to offer intellisense based on the tiny netstandard.dll that we compile against for the runtime, but any editor code you write generally can't compile this way. We have some ideas for how to get around this, but we are also interested to hear your preferences.

Another problem is that all scripts that you double-click in the unity editor could also be used from hybrid, and we do intend to support targeting both dots runtime and hybrid with the same project in the future, so as long as there are two solutions, somebody's going to be mad.

4) Yep. It would be hard to shoehorn all the scene config, defines, platform-specific stuff, conversion, etc we have now into that thing, but it was great while it lasted. Do you like referring to different platforms as separate build assets, though?

33. georgeq

georgeq

The whole Unity process. It did respond, the inspector was locked as it was compiling something, but half an hour for an empty project I think is too much, I tried to close the main window, but it seemed to freeze, so I opened the Windows Task Manager, an killed the Unity process.

I've been using Unity since 4.3, and I´m used to doble click on scripts to open them up, so I would prefer to stick to this method.

Although I liked very much the way it was organized on previous versions, I need to get to know better how this version works before making a final decision on this one.

Thank you very much!

34. elliotc-unity

elliotc-unity

Unity Technologies

For the hang, did you expand the Unity process tree to check if it was actually a subprocess that was taking cpu? I'm especially curious if it was a subprocess called bee.exe that was taking the time. And yes, half an hour is WAY too long; ordinarily it should be a few minutes at the longest for a first-time small build like our samples, and less for subsequent builds (because it does most things incrementally).

35. georgeq

georgeq

Sorry, no, unfortunately it never occured to me to expand the process tree... but maybe you can reproduce it by following these simple steps:

1) Create a new 2D project (With 2020.1.0a21)
    2) Create some folders.
    3) Import some sprites to your project.
    4) Create a DOTS runtime settings asset.
    5) Build the normal project.
    6) Create a new Assembly Definition File.
    7) Assign the ADF as Root Assembly
    7) While the compiler is still working click on other assets to try to view them on the inspector.

As far as I can remember these were the steps that lead to the problem I described.

36. AnthonyRUnity

AnthonyRUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi I encountered a Bug when trying to build

Unity- 2019.3.2.f1

[ 20s] Build frontend of artifacts\tundra_Windows-DotNet-Tiny3D_6ij.dag ran (no suitable previous build dag file)
    tundra: error: unable to map Windows-DotNet-Tiny3D to any named node or input/output file

Code (csharp):
    2. Build Windows-DotNet-Tiny3D failed in BuildStepRunBee after 22.50s.
    3. [     0s] Build frontend of artifacts\buildprogram\buildprogram_buildprogram.dag ran (no suitable previous build dag file)
    4. [0/6  0s] CSProject buildprogram-build.gen.csproj
    5. [1/6  1s] Download and unpack artifacts/buildprogrambuildprogram/Stevedore/7za-win-x64/.StevedoreVersion (+1 other)
    6. [2/6  1s] Download and unpack artifacts/buildprogrambuildprogram/Stevedore/referenceassemblies_v46/.StevedoreVersion (+1 other)
    7. [3/6  5s] Download and unpack artifacts/buildprogrambuildprogram/Stevedore/roslyn-csc-win64/.StevedoreVersion (+1 other)
    8. [4/6  1s] Csc artifacts/buildprogram/buildprogram_buildprogram.exe (+2 others)
    9. [     0s] Destroying Roslyn Shared Compiler Server
    10. [     8s] Build frontend of artifacts\buildprogram\tundra_buildprogram.dag ran (no suitable previous build dag file)
    11. [ 0/13  0s] WriteResponseFile artifacts/rsp/1008532451738831585.rsp
    12. [ 1/13  0s] WriteResponseFile artifacts/rsp/16678227308262555357.rsp
    13. [ 2/13  0s] CSProject C:/Users/vinci/Desktop/Tiny/Tiny3D/Library/PackageCache/com.unity.dots.runtime@0.2.0-preview.3/bee~/BuildProgramBuildProgramSources/buildprogrambuildprogram.gen.csproj
    14. [ 3/13  0s] CSProject C:/Users/vinci/Desktop/Tiny/Tiny3D/Library/DotsRuntimeBuild/buildprogram.gen.csproj
    15. [ 4/13  0s] VisualStudioSolution build.gen.sln
    16. [ 5/13  0s] CopyTool artifacts/buildprogram/bee.exe
    17. [ 6/13  0s] CopyTool artifacts/buildprogrambuildprogram.exe/Release/bee.exe
    18. [ 7/13  0s] Download and unpack artifacts/Stevedore/7za-win-x64/.StevedoreVersion (+1 other)
    19. [ 8/13  1s] Download and unpack artifacts/Stevedore/referenceassemblies_v471/.StevedoreVersion (+1 other)
    20. [ 9/13  5s] Download and unpack artifacts/Stevedore/roslyn-csc-win64/.StevedoreVersion (+1 other)
    21. [10/13  2s] Csc artifacts/buildprogrambuildprogram.exe/Release/buildprogrambuildprogram.exe (+2 others)
    22. [11/13  2s] Csc artifacts/buildprogram/buildprogram.exe (+2 others)
    23. [       0s] Destroying Roslyn Shared Compiler Server
    24. [       2s] Executed build program. Created build graph with 446 nodes.
    25. [    20s] Build frontend of artifacts\tundra_Windows-DotNet-Tiny3D_6ij.dag ran (no suitable previous build dag file)
    26. tundra: error: unable to map Windows-DotNet-Tiny3D to any named node or input/output file
    27. UnityEngine.Debug:LogFormat(LogType, LogOption, Object, String, Object[])
    28. Unity.Build.BuildPipelineResult:LogResult() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.build@0.1.0-preview.1/Editor/Unity.Build/BuildPipelineResult.cs:126)
    29. Unity.Build.<>c:<.cctor>b__43_1(BuildSettings) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.build@0.1.0-preview.1/Editor/Unity.Build/BuildSettingsScriptedImporterEditor.cs:51)
    30. Unity.Build.<>c__DisplayClass34_0:<RefreshHeader>b__1() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.build@0.1.0-preview.1/Editor/Unity.Build/BuildSettingsScriptedImporterEditor.cs:229)
    31. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

37. AbdulAlgharbi

AbdulAlgharbi

Unity Technologies

Hi Anthony,
    Can you please check that you have Visual Studio with the following components installed: Desktop development with c++, .NET desktop development?

38. AnthonyRUnity

AnthonyRUnity

Unity Technologies

Yes Sir it does! . . . . Though please note it is Bootcamp Windows 10 on Mac Book Pro

39. Dangy

Dangy

Some pretty amazing stuff cooking here! Can I please put forth a feature request of incorporating SVG support? (Basically the Unity Vector Graphics Package)

Would make for some interesting non-gaming single page web apps :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.