Search Unity

Project Settings -> Quality -> Rendering -> Render Pipeline Asset

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SuperUltraHyper, Nov 18, 2020.

1. SuperUltraHyper

SuperUltraHyper

Project Settings -> Quality -> Rendering -> Render Pipeline Asset

What is this field for? I don't see any explanation in the documentation.

I do have a URP asset assigned to Project Settings -> Graphics -> Scriptable Render Pipeline Settings

It seems like it wants the same asset assigned?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

2. Mauri

Mauri

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/srp-setting-render-pipeline-asset.html

My guess is that you can have multiple Render Pipeline Assets for use with the quality tiers? E.g. you may not want many URP features in use on the 'Low' tier, while you can crank everything up on the 'High' tier.

Edit: Actually, that's exactly it. Create a new URP project and take a look inside. You'll see three different tiers with three different Render Pipeline Asset files.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    ahmedharbi likes this.
  3. SuperUltraHyper

SuperUltraHyper

Ah... Got it. Thanks!

4. EZaca

EZaca

I didn't get it yet. Then "Graphics -> Scriptable Render Pipeline Asset" is a fallback, while the "Quality -> Rendering -> Render Pipeline Asset" is an override to that setting? Or do they get a different portion of settings for each purpose?

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

That is one of the most obscure settings about the pipelines. Most support tickets i get is simply because the pipeline was not assigned to both Graphics and Quality slots or a different one is assigned to each.

From what i gather, the quality one is optional and can have one different pipeline for each quality tier, to toggle maybe on the fly during the game as needed. I have not verified this functionality though, plus seems to be a very strange setup in general and not clear at all.

EZaca likes this.
  6. swishchee

swishchee

So, I know that the pipeline asset under "graphics" is changed in code via:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GraphicsSettings.renderPipelineAsset = pipelineAsset;
    Where is the URP Asset field for quality settings, in code?

As an addendum to this, I had issues whereby I was struggling to get renderer features to properly work, UNTIL I set the same pipeline also for the quality settings.
    However, I've also seen renderer features of, say "URP Asset A" work just fine, even though the "URP Asset B" was the one selected for the renderer under project settings. If I change the quality settings also to "URP Asset B" then the renderer features of "URP Asset A" disappear.

The quality setting, from my experience, is the more important field (as I'm assuming that it overrides the graphics settings asset). I'm definitely confused about which things play which roles. On paper, the URP Asset under the graphics settings should be the one that effectively changes the appearance of renderer features more often, but the duplicate URP Asset field in "Quality" has actually been where I've seen the changes, which leaves this as an unsolved problem for me. The only conclusion I can come to is "just change both" which is why I'm asking about that code thing.

7. swishchee

swishchee

I'm really glad I asked this question, because it seems that I touched upon an unknown topic on these forums. I managed to dig around and find a solution, so now I can provide it to you all:

Code (CSharp):
    1. QualitySettings.renderPipeline = pipelineAsset;