Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Project Pass-Around ... Let's Build A Weird (Single Player) RPG Together!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GarBenjamin, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I am using linear interpolation at this time, to achieve the goals of testing the editor window and also it would be usable in a game. I am by no means creating a universal, one-size-fits-all solution. However, it would only require changing one area of code to modify the growth to be exponential or follow some other pattern of growth, such as different shapes of curves, etc.

My goals are:
    1. The player character must be able to level up and grow stronger.
    2. Base stats must play nicely with equipment bonuses and stat buffs, without a convoluted system getting in the way.
    3. Ease of accessibility/simplicity
    4. To make it very easy to create enemies that are similar to others, but slightly stronger/weaker when you can simply tweak them down 5 levels or up 5 levels and the result is instant.
    It's funny because I was taking a piss, and I knew that the exponential experience growth question was coming . . . and my answer is, I doubt that in this project it will ever be needed but if it gets far enough that it is needed, it can be added.

EternalAmbiguity and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

So far all I have done is work on a map. Because I need a little vision. Need to see something. So I took the ideas I posted earlier and made this simple map of the "world".

Obviously, this is simplistic but it also represents a solid starting point.

The idea here with the coloring of the areas is indicating enemy strength / numbers from weak / few in the lighter colored areas to strong / many in the darker colored areas.

So the Hamlet area is pretty much a "safe place". Some very minor enemies basically more like wildlife wander around that can be hunted and sold.

Once you venture outside the Hamlet a ways we see the surrounding area is a little darker. And it is here we'd probably find the first true monsters / enemies as well as more dangerous wildlife. Of course, some of these critters could occasionally wander in to the Hamlet area but I wouldn't expect it to be a common thing.

And so forth. Color coding. And on the outside of the world we see two major areas:
    The Darkest Forest and The Caves of Absolute Kick-Ass Wickedness. These would be primary sources of evil and, as such, be focal points of one or more quests.

Well that's it for now. Feel free to build on to the map and write some descriptions. I intentionally did not try to define the entire game world because I want others to get their ideas in here. As you can see there is plenty of room to define named areas.

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  3. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Since my pull request has been sitting in limbo for awhile, I decided to jump back in and add a little extra.

This RPG needed a UFO.

GarBenjamin and Kiwasi like this.
  4. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I was doing Combat but someone claimed spells... and I noticed that nobody else is even talking about data so I figured I'd take the initiative here.

While you're coding your Warrior/Mage to kill a slime, you're going to have to make lots and lots of variables. So many variables that you will lose track of all the names of all the variables. Every time you want to replicate something from another game, you will need a new variable, or a new "if" statement, which will require going back and changing stuff.

I am working on a component for handling RPG Unit Statistics, which tackles these sorts of problems:

upload_2017-4-1_17-51-28.png

By wrapping it all up into one easy-to-use Unit Stats component, you can learn how it works, then go on and make a dozen different enemies and throw them all over the map in no time.

This system will interact with the Ability system, the Combat systems, the Equipment system, the Item system and so, so many more and so its important that it is well-tested and that its present from the very beginning, and making it first will ensure that its solid because for the game to work, it will have to be put through its paces over and over again.

So let's say that @BoredMormon creates a shop system, and you can buy from this shop a Potion. And this potion has a component or properties (at the very least) that says how much it heals. You can show it in the fancy UI "Heals 10 health" and all this time, it has no need of knowing how the hell it's going to heal that 10 health. You don't have to worry about it, because all that matters is when you get to that point, when you use that item, you just grab the UnitStats component and say:

Code (CSharp):
    1. UnitStats DudeStats;
    3. DudeStats.RecoverHP(potion.strength);
    So you're minimally interacting with the system, and this system will go out and heal the character by 10 HP, make sure his HP can't go over the HP max. It's useful, but that's the worst example of how useful it is.

Say you make a "Magic Helmet" and you want it to boost your magical damage power by a lot, but you're not sure how the hell to do that.

Just make the magic helmet item, and you want it to boost Intelligence, so you just add a component (that I will make) that defines its stat boosting properties numerically, and I will do the check to see if the piece of equipment is equipped (when that part exists) and automatically apply the stat boost to the attached UnitStats component for you.

That's what I'm doing.

5. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Now you did it.

Why not create a very large "sphere" and call this sphere "the planet". Use a 3D modeling program to make the mountains and put valleys here and there, then create another blue sphere and place it inside of the other sphere, only slightly smaller, and call this one the "ocean" then use raycasting to position the units on the sphere as they walk around.

Congrats, you have created an entire planet which you can now populate with whatever your imagination desires.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Animation curves are pretty awesome for this sort of thing.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  7. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

While a nice enough idea on its own, not everyone would find it fun to deal with the extra problems having a spherical surface adds. And that's what this project is all about: having fun.

Best to keep things simple.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  8. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Converting horizontal axis and vertical axis input to rotation commands in Unity is about as simple as it gets, actually.

Literally, very little difference than using translation commands, and you could still use rigidbodies for physics.

In fact, I'm gonna go ahead and challenge you on it being "not simple".

GarBenjamin likes this.
  9. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Yes, there are people who can do it easily.

There are also people who cannot do it easily.

Lets not get elitist here.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

We probably could use some low level design work here. You know, the boring spreadsheet stuff that game designers spend most of their time on.

What stats should we have, what the input scheme should be, what the items should be and what they should do. And so on.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  11. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Got it as I wanted it, this is what it took:

upload_2017-4-1_19-30-18.png

Code (CSharp):
    1. transform.Rotate(Vector3.up, -Input.GetAxis("Horizontal"));
    2. transform.Rotate(Vector3.right, Input.GetAxis("Vertical"));
    Collision would take sphere-casting ahead of the player to see if the rotation would be allowed/disallowed.

Which part of the above is complicated and/or elite?*

*There isn't even any math involved.
    **Just using built-in Unity stuff, not even one of my own classes

12. TinyGod

TinyGod

pull request submitted. simple paint. No idea what kind of art style you all are going for.

Attached Files:

GarBenjamin likes this.
  13. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

I'm not interested in getting in a debate over it, so if you think it's that simple go for it. There are no hard rules in this project after all.

14. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Kinda ignoring the obvious, @GarBenjamin already coded up movement and it works, so there's no need to change it. That's why I was talking to him (hint hint) about changing it, just throwing the idea out there. It was on this page, just before someone appointed themselves project director, shot the idea down, and called me elitist for saying it was simple.

15. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Google docs spreadsheet?

Probably would be helpful to know what items there are going to be, what effects I should be prepared for.

What about a basic bottom-docked ability bar that corresponds to the 0-9 number keys, as well as a basic grid-style inventory, ala WoW?

Since we're not doing click-to-move, something like mouse-targeted spell casting would work. Or hold-to-shoot. hack n' slash button-spamming isn't so fun with mouse n' keyboard, imho.

Don't want to get too actioney, though, imho either.

So definitely some decisions to make there.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  16. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Maybe later on the sphere thing. I don't really want to grow the scope too much.

This has been so open-ended we have not even had a scope so the map thingy I threw together I thought was a great way to provide some focus and scope at the same time.

My view on games especially a collaborative project like this is it is absolutely best to keep things reasonably small so we can get it done. I know a lot of people seem to hate that kind of thinking for some reason. I don't mean you @Master-Frog I mean just people in game dev in general. But I think it is because people are afraid of making something "not big enough" or "not epic enough" or some craziness like that.

It's a silly way to look at it and the reason so many people with these epic dreams never make anything. The most important thing is to reach success. That's it. And for this project that means being able to bring a team of random people together collaborating completely remotely communicating via the Internet and actually complete a game.

The completion of that game or more specifically the completion of Version 1 of that game is not the end. That completion will be a big deal. Because it will mean success was reached. And there is no reason at all why a second iteration cannot be done to grow Version 1 into something much bigger and badder on Version 2. Or go on and do another entirely different game using some of the things learned on this one.

With that in mind perhaps space invaders would have been a much better choice but I wanted something that was more interesting all around more potential to do anything. And yeah we could have done that on Space Invaders too because any game can be made to have as much depth or simplicity as a person wants. But I dunno 3D was good and FPS or RPG seems good for 3D. lol

Master-Frog likes this.
  17. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Hey sorry for the delay I never checked BitBucket until I saw your post above. I need to get into the habit of checking it a couple times per day I guess. Unless I happen to check my email (which I do no more than once per day) or see a post here or happen to go to BitBucket I won't know there are changes.

Maybe we should make a point of everyone posting here saying they submitted a pull request.

The UFO is awesome. The UFO interaction was a welcome surprise and 10 x more awesome! Lot of fun! lol :)

18. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Well, your image looked like a side-view of a whole globe to me... so, not my fault. Moving on.

You can do a lot with a fixed-size map. It's just a stage. Throw on some different actors, all depending on the quest, and you've got a whole different thing going on.

Yes, completing a game with just a few randoms is definitely a long shot.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  19. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Ha ha! You know... I really don't know why I made the mountains that way in a circular shape. I could have just done a rectangle. But yeah... rectangle, circle whatever... the important thing there is just the colored areas and the main evil areas. Well of course the Hamlet in the center of it all.

A lot of this stuff I just do without there being any specific reason behind it. That's funny though looking at it I can see where you got the sphere world from.

20. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

That UFO is tight as hell.

Almost wonder if sci-fi/fantasy combo is in order.

Here's a story pitch...

Your character joined a gym 2 years ago and all attempts to cancel his membership have proved futile. There is a clause in your contract that allows you to cancel, but you must do so in-person at the companies main headquarters, which is one of the most well-guarded places this side of Hades.

With all the money from everyone's gym memberships, they are basically ruling the world since nobody can cancel, they have enough money to buy the government.

And they have elite Personal Trainers that go around dealing with troublemakers like you, rogues who are trying to buck the system.

They are your boss battles, elite fitness gods who run the biggest empire since the fall of rome.

Their exorbitant flex plan always increases in price every year, you can never get someone on the phone when you call customer service, but their electronic debits to your bank always go through on time, sometimes twice for good measure.

And nobody can stop them, because they have bought out the entire government, which deems their unending contracts "legally sound".

And their salespeople are like hypnotists...

GarBenjamin likes this.
  21. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

@TinyGod can you update from the main up there again and then add your model?

Reason being your update does not have @DanielQuick's saucer and other work in it and his update does not have your updates in it.

I can spend the time to work through it and manually do the merge on my laptop and do a push but it would just be simpler if you can get the latest now and put your model back in.

22. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Actually @TinyGod hang on. Let me just do it. See I just don't trust these things. Let me just bite the bullet and approve and merge yours and see if it actually keeps things straight.

What happens is over the years I trust in these things and then get in a freakin mess so I just don't trust anything blindly to work anymore. But let me do it in this case to test and I will just sort it out locally if problems occur.

23. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

The middle of the forest definitely needs a clearing with a pretty waterfall and pretty flowers and no enemies, unless you interact with the right thing and summon a level 99 super boss.

Edit:
    By the way, I wasn't trying to say exponential is needed. To be honest it gets kind of annoying at times. I was just asking which route you were taking because it can definitely change the pace of a game.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  24. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Okay, I figured... yeah I approved and merged @TinyGod and then pulled it all down and now it is broken but not a big deal.

I will sort it out and do a push up there.

Well like I said... this is why I don't trust in these things. I have yet to see anything like this actually just magically work. lol

Shouldn't take long. It is just missing some of @DanielQuick's prefabs but I always make backups (need to clean those up actually I have one for every pull request that I reviewed now lol) so I should be able to just copy those over.

25. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Honestly, @DanielQuick's system would technically work very well, where only one person is "Currently Working" on the project. See, the idea would be that once that person is "Done Working" then the next person who is "Currently Working" could pull the most recently completed one, add their stuff, and then the next person can do that, and so forth.

I also believe each person should have their own Scene, in addition to a shared scene that everyone is allowed to mess around in.

Your scene could be like a showcase/tutorial for your features.

Also, why aren't we on Slack?

Have you seen Slack?

GarBenjamin likes this.
  26. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Okay everyone, I fixed it. Tested all works well. Committed and Pushed.

Please do a pull from the repo up there to get @DanielQuick's and @TinyGod's latest updates. Then we should be all up to date.

27. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Yeah it definitely seems to me that people like getting more powerful, but in my view it should be harder and harder to gain more power as time goes on, since higher-powered characters lower the game's difficulty, there should be a trade-off there between level-ups and time.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  28. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Slack slack slack

It's basically a persistent chat room with stuff to help you develop software

GarBenjamin likes this.
  29. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Yeah, that is the thing I said early on. It is always best to just work one at a time. I mean it is the only way I have ever seen to completely eliminate these kind of issues.

BUT I get people wanting to work simultaneously instead of waiting and I have sorted out these kind of things so many times over the years in one fashion or another it is not a major deal.

I just constantly have backups of everything and in these cases I also use the Download options. So I download the one person's updates. Download the other person's updates. Then do the pull. See what breaks. Once I know that then I figure out which source the missing stuff is likely in and go hunting and then move it over and try again.

There are probably proper ways to do it but I just do what I am used to and what is fast & easy for me.

30. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Why do we need it though when we can just fill this up here and also have a thread showing our Unity Community Project?

It will show all of our many successes and struggles and hopefully end up eventually having more and more screenshots and gifs and maybe videos of the game and so forth.

And it probably will be helpful to others who want to do such a Community Project. Kind of almost like a Knowledge base.

It is kind of like ongoing documentation of the project.

Master-Frog likes this.
  31. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I really like seeing that UFO parked out in the field a short ways from the Hamlet. See this kind of stuff sparks ideas for a story. It seems obvious now the player is traveling around the universe. Perhaps he lands on this planet or perhaps it is a time traveling UFO and he simply went back to medieval times (I mean we all know those dragons and wizards really were there flying around shooting fireballs and lightning bolts!)

Or maybe it is not his saucer at all and there are aliens who landed and they created the evil. So the evil is not really evil as in hell & demonic but is the result of the aliens experimenting on the normal creatures here. And the player just happens to be able to fly the UFO. :)

And ultimately he may need to deal with the aliens as well.

32. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

The inn looks really good, too.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  33. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Nothing wrong with that, at all. But in terms of who is doing what currently on the project, it might help. Oh well, I guess this is a trial by fire. Onward?

GarBenjamin likes this.
  34. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Well there are always other ways to do it too, such as having enemies below your level give smaller and smaller amounts of exp. I see what you mean though.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  35. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I think they put that up on the other thing. The tree no... the github/bitbucket thingy... no... that other thing I forgot what it was already.

Trello! That was it. I just think we have enough stuff now that I can barely keep track of it all. lol

36. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Did you all notice the actual proposed game world is fairly large. As you can see in the map the Hamlet sitting in the middle. And that is actually pulled out of Unity so those little brownish rectangles are the two buildings that have been there all along. The player is so tiny in comparison they don't even show up on that map. Just to give you an idea of the scale.

I mean it is not super massive but it is certainly not a tiny area either. Actually it is good there is a UFO available because that is needed. When I made that map I was thinking the player is really gonna need a horse because it will take a long time to do quests to these outer areas on foot.

Master-Frog likes this.
  37. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Well so much for getting into game dev today. I basically did nothing once again besides work on the map.

That's how it goes though when I'm doing something for fun. Tomorrow I will try to actually make some updates to the Unity project itself.

Master-Frog likes this.
  38. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Didn't know it was pulled out of Unity, thought it was just a picture. That is pretty big.

I imagine you'll want some variety in the design of the middle area, but that comes later I'm sure.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  39. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

It is a combination. The area is pulled from Unity those mountains around the outside are the mountain model I threw together last night forming a wall of mountain range outside the outer edge of the game world. The Hamlet is the actual little Hamlet where the "game" starts in the current source. The colored sections, Forest and Caves are hand drawn on that screenshot.

And yeah we'll need a lot more in there. Need some lock & key puzzles as well to unlock entry into some of the areas. Needs filling out big time.

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  40. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

upload_2017-4-1_22-31-9.png

While chasing a bug of my own, I found a bug of yours, @DanielQuick

41. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Saucer is fun! lol :) Like how high it zooms up in the air at takeoff too. Gives you a nice birds eye view of things.

The E prompt for interaction is sweet too.

42. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

The saucer is gotta be a debug tool only. It can land on top of roofs and things.

Speaking of a birds eye view, it would be pretty easy to do a minimap using some GUI rects, if anyone wants to try their hand at some intermediate stuff on that?

GarBenjamin likes this.
  43. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

upload_2017-4-1_23-57-53.png

"God damn it! Tick() never runs! Unity must be broken again!"

GarBenjamin likes this.
  44. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I'm done with a buttload of changes, how do I do the pull request thingie?

GarBenjamin likes this.
  45. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Honestly:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false -c credential.helper=manager-st push -v --tags --set-upstream origin master:master
    Pushing to https://bitbucket.org/master-frog/simplerpg.git
    To https://bitbucket.org/master-frog/simplerpg.git
    ! [rejected] master -> master (fetch first)
    error: failed to push some refs to 'https://bitbucket.org/master-frog/simplerpg.git'
    hint: Updates were rejected because the remote contains work that you do
    hint: not have locally. This is usually caused by another repository pushing
    hint: to the same ref. You may want to first integrate the remote changes
    hint: (e.g., 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
    hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.

I don't know how else to put this... Get rid of git or I quit.

We'd honestly be better off at this point just passing around a zip file. If you want to use git so you feel like a cool "big time" programmer, like you're Linus Tovald or whatever, that's fine, but I think it's dreadful in every imaginable way and completely not the right tool for the job in this case.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  46. TinyGod

TinyGod

Or perhaps he also brought some sort of parasite with him on the saucer and that is why he cant leave. The parasite is now feeding on the locals and will inevitably be what you have to defeat in the 'end of the game...'

Could be that he crashed and now is forced to use the primitive weapons of this world to get strong enough to defeat the parasite.

That being said, I like the aliens experimenting Idea as well.

I am going to get to work on a critter and probably some simple weapons.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  47. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

It would only work if it was a dictatorship

48. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

@Master-Frog feel free to send your updates to me and I will merge them into git.

If you have any desire at all left to handle the git issues I think this should do it.
    • Make a copy of your current working repo folder.
    • Do a pull on your main repo folder to bring down the updates.
    • Copy your newly created files back over to your repo folder from your repo copy folder.
    • Open in Unity and see if it works.
    Note that if you made updates to the Scene itself you will need to do extra steps:
    • Export your scene updates as a package
    • Import your scene updates package into your main repo project
    Something like that. I am no expert on Unity scenes.

If you don't or that fails and doesn't look like an easy fix just zip up your updates and send to me and I will merge them in, test, commit and push to the web repo.

Version control is a good thing but I agree it also just adds another layer of complexity. For that matter, basically everything that is not simply directly working on the Unity project itself is just an additional layer of overhead.

I'm fine with just using .zip files. At least for the people who only want to deal with the simplicity of using a .zip and then I will work on the version control stuff. Trust me I get it on the overhead part of using it. I'd most likely actually have done more on the project itself if it wasn't for the overhead "busy work" caused by git (approving, merging, resolving conflicts doing manual merges, etc). But it is what it is so if my time needs to be spent on this git stuff then so be it.

On the bright side, I plan on actually doing some real work on the project today.

49. DominoM

DominoM

@Master-Frog just use this to pull the changes and make them the base for your changes:

git pull --rebase

You can set that as the default pull behaviour:

git config --global pull.rebase preserve

That should help avoid unnecessary merges.

50. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Just approved and merged @TinyGod's Scene updates with the rocks and Blacksmith update.
    Pulled and tested. All is well.

Just approved and merged @DanielQuick's Interaction updates.
    Pulled and tested. All is well.

Now, the next time I get on the laptop I am going to actually work on this project. lol

For now, it is time to get off this thing again and get work & chores done around and in the house. Need to give dogs a bath, mow the front lawn and do the house cleaning. What I will try to do is in between each of those things (OR wait til after all is done) get some actual real work done on the game project itself.

@Master-Frog I certainly am willing to help out with the issues you are running into if you need me. Also maybe one of the others can work with you if you come on while I am away. But we will get it sorted out one way or another.

Just as a general rule of thumb... well not even that really just saying this is how I will work... I make a copy of the project and do my work in that other one. Then I check for other people having done work and if so I will handle theirs first and get them merged in and resolved in the event of multiple people having clashed.

Then I will return to my own work and export, etc as needed from my work project moving things over to the real project.

Not sure if any of that will help you but figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

Actually, it's not the version control that is really causing the issues. It is just multiple people working on the same project at the same time. We'd have the same issues with a .zip file. Well okay in your case maybe not if you truly only added new code files and did no updates to the scene/project view.