Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Project Panel Suggestions

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by jedy, Oct 16, 2012.

1. jedy

jedy

I had the chance to test some of the new features of Unity 4, and I'm as far impressed. Even though I noticed some things about the Project Panel which bummed me:
    -[Two Column Layout] Double clicking on the right column opens and expands folders, but in the left column double clicking a folder does nothing ( the arrow has to be clicked, clicking the folder does nothing )
    -[Two Column Layout] While working on the right pane, it's often useful to go back up a folder, and locating the parent folder in the adjacent column is a tedious task, a "Up One Directory" button will be quite useful ( example in Winrar )
    I found out that Backspace does work for getting up one directory, but the forward back buttons on my mouse - don't ( generally working for most of my apps )

And a single suggestion which I always felt like missing while browsing models :
    - Expanding the imported models hierarchy and editing it. Freshly imported models sometimes include a lot of useless objects - forgotten cameras, unused bones, generally objects used in the 3d software which are plain empty Game Objects in Unity. If those were visible and editable in the Project Pane they could be easily removed, instead of manually creating a decent prefab and finally removing them in the prefab itself.

Anyway I enjoyed the updated product, Mecanim is a synonym of awesome and I can't wait to get my hands on it on the official release!

2. amit1532

amit1532

Sorry for using your thread to get another request :p
    when i use the two columns layout for the project window:
    If im in a middle of editing a component of an object through the inspector (lets say dragging an animation to the animation variable in my script) I need to locate the animation through the folders in the project.
    But as soon as i click on a folder in the right view of the new project layout the inspector is changed as if it is inspecting the... folder o_O... which is very un-needed as well as making the whole proccess annoying, because then i will need to go back to the object i want to add the animation to and then find the animation again, but instead of clicking on the folders in the right view of the project window, have to open them from the left view, which is not causing them to change the inspector.
    I know you can lock the inspector, but why? i dont see any use for inspecting the folder

3. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Could you make two bug reports for these guys? :)

This is more than just a project browser problem. This requires some work with the model importer. We have ideas about how to improve this process (which address your frustrations) for a future release, but unfortunately, they are out of scope for Unity 4.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

4. jedy

jedy

The next time I get to use the new version I will make sure to pop in those as bug reports. Thank you for the support.

I figured, some time ago I tried to meddle with the importer, but it didn't quite work out.