Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Project Lazarus

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by KRGraphics, May 11, 2011.

?

What graphic style should I use for this game?

1. Realistic

40.0%
  2. Old Comic Style

32.9%
  3. Ah, what the hell... how about both...?

27.1%
  1. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I hope this will be completed... I was going to show Sega a demo of this game running on modern hardware... I will admit, I am a graphics whore and want to make sure the animation and the gameplay are stunning beautiful... And to show what Unity can do... and I tried making this in UDK but too much fiddling around

2. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

hey guys, I have a strange issue with the cloth simulation... i have a character and i am getting some issues with the attached colliders clipping through the model (and these are fixed with a cube). If you play the webplayer, you will have some idea of what i am talking about... Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/158971/Contr...WebPlayer.html

Left Arrow = Move back
    Right Arrow = Move forward
    Up = Jump
    Down = Crouch

And on the crouching, the cloth just stops simulating...which something seems off about that... one solution was to speed up the animation on the crouch.

EDIT: If you just let the idle animation play, you will see EXACTLY what i am talking about...

3. Duskling

Duskling

I'm not getting any clipping issues, and the cloth still simulates while I crouch.

4. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Maybe it's the slow network at school...did you walk forward, backward, jump? and let it play in idle...?

5. Chris Aoki

Chris Aoki

Seems to work fine for me, no clipping or stopping of the cloth physics.

6. Kridian

Kridian

It looks good to me! I don't see any clipping while crouched. Cloth is active full-time and collision looks good.

Add a rotate option on that puppy so we can get a better angle to see.

7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I guess you guys are right... I am seeing clipping thru when he jumps... which i need to avoid if i can...

8. Wolfos

Wolfos

Bookmarked. Would love to see how this progresses.

9. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I can't wait to finish school and REALLY get cracking on it

10. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys...

Here is some progress on Blade... still not happy with a few things... need to model the weapon belt and detail the torso further...although it will be covered with a flak jacket... enjoy

$JohnBladeback.jpg $JohnBlade3-4.jpg

11. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

I coming to look amazing! I can't wait to see the next character done!

12. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is Blade... the new version of him

13. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Good morning... decided to post some progress on Blade's model...not bad for a week's work. I am still working on the gear that he will wear and tweaking proportions to add some physical brawn to the model... the tough parts are modelling the pouches and equipment. I already foresee animation issues with the flak jacket, but it should be okay :)... The head will be modelled soon to match the character...and tweaked accordingly... enjoy :)

$John%20Blade%20Render%201.jpg $John%20Blade%203-4.jpg

Attached Files:

14. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys, just posting some updates on Blade... he finally has a head :)... there are some things to tweak on the model mainly small proportion tweaks and a detail pass... stay tuned.

$John%20Blade%20Body.jpg $John%20Blade%20Head%20Model%203-4.jpg $John%20Blade%20head%20model%20Front.jpg

15. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Some more goodness... is he bad ass enough...? LOL Still need to add his accessories like his gun, and magazine clips...

$Blade%20Head%20Model%20Detail.jpg $Blade%20model%20Strip.jpg

16. n0mad

n0mad

Looking good so far, I like the "broad guy" feeling he gets :)
    Can already see him swing a hook to a jaw.

17. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

And all of this with no concept art :)... which I think I should do... probably a quick paintover :)

18. n0mad

n0mad

If I may, don't lose time into concept arts, your models are already excellent ;)

19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I had an idea for the alt costume :)

20. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey, just stopping by to share some progress on the next character for my game's roster... Blade's primary costume is almost completed, just need to model a few more accessories like the extra pouches and his sidearm...and also do a detail pass on the model, especially on the face... he is about 35 years old...and African-American.

I am kinda not liking the way the hand is... but I would have to bend the fingers into place to fix their length...

As for the game version, it is sitting comfy at 20,000 triangles... with the gun and extra prop about 24,000. Anyway, enjoy these renders... more to come...

$John%20Blade%20Body%20High%20Res.jpg $John%20Blade%20Head%203-4%20High%20Res.jpg $John%20Blade%20Head%20High%20Res.jpg

21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Good morning...still making many tweaks on the Blade model...decided to add his glasses to give more of a bad ass feel. still working on additional details... to make him pop and add visual interest, especially on the armour.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  22. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Man, you can model up a storm! those are fantastic characters, looks like a really cool project! Keep up the good work.

23. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Thanks man... here are some new renders of the model... (still in Zbrush here). I need to add more details on the model in photoshop where I edit my normal maps :)... more to come.

$Glasses%20pose.jpg $One%20bad%20motherf--ker.jpg

24. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey everyone, been away from this project for too long and decided to work on colour space for my project (School has taken up WAYYY too much time)... after looking at many games at E3 that looked very good... I thought about ways of pushing my project toward high quality and figured that by converting my rendering to linear, the lighting and shadows would look more realistic and also appealing... here are some screenshots of the Gamma vs. Linear of the two levels in my game...

I am also using FXAA on the camera...

$Salem_0001_Gamma.png

$Salem_0000_Linear.png

In the case of Atlantis... in gamma, everything looks too dark... this was the level before I changed the colour space.. notice how the sand looks very dark...

$Salem_0000_Atlantis-Gamma.png

And for Linear space, I had to overdrive the reflections on my water shader to make sure that it matched... and turning odd linear seems to help the reflections as well. Though setting the renderer to linear space creates new problems, particularly with sprite textures and foliage... through some experimentation, I will undercover these problems... enjoy... and I would love feedback on this topic

$Salem_0001_Atlantis-Linear.png

25. n0mad

n0mad

This is looking really great, I absolutely love the general mood of that scene (and yes, Linear emphasizes that mood much better). Lights colors are very well chosen, thumbs up.

26. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Had to post something so that my thread so it wouldn't get stale... but yes, I am definitely sticking with Linear Space which makes shadows more realistic, but it also comes with it's own issues...

27. Mauri

Mauri

28. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

No, I used something called Clouds Toy...

29. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey everybody... I have been working on try to fix my issues with cloth simulation and to no avail... so I have made a video that shows the issue I am having... hopefully someone could have a suggestion or a fix for this... this makes the cloth pretty useless...

EDIT: Here is a video of the problem...

http://www.mediafire.com/?kjka0x5vuj66jct

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  30. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

great work! all the models look insanely detailed and nicely polished. Probably the most detailed models I ever seen in a unity game.
    keep it up! :)

31. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

32. jin76

jin76

looking awesome, are you using strumpy shader for this or did you write your own shaders?

33. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Using good old strumpy for this one :)

34. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

i am sure there are plenty of quality Unity games...and thank you...

35. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys, just passing through with some progress shots, still working on this Blade character...experimenting with new accessories... I ended up changing the belt and the vest to make appear more futuristic... still considering adding his gun...

Still more to come. $Blade%20WIP%20Progress.jpg

36. Ga2Z

Ga2Z

Hi! I've been watching your work for a while, even from Stramit's strumpy shader thread and I always wanted to ask you if you could make a quick tutorial on how you created the shaders for this project? specially the metallic ones, I think they are awesome!!! I've done shaders before with strumpy and on the UDK material editor but I don't really know how hahaha, I just try and get kinda good results... but, there is not too many documentation on strumpy for noobies trying to get a little complex stuff. So, that's my request. Thanks :)

37. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I can see about doing a tutorial on how to set up shaders for stuff like metal, but most of this is all trial and error... :)

38. Ga2Z

Ga2Z

Well, I've doing everything by trial and error too, but I have to admit that the half of things that I do and seem right, don't know how it happened XD... Maybe just an explanation on one of your graphs, written maybe. I would like to see (and understand) how do you use the nodes to create the specularity and the glow and glossiness

39. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

If I get some time during the development, I will be happy to share some information in regards to my shaders made in strumpy... i actually need to learn how to write shaders for Unity by hand...

40. Boss

Boss

cool

41. Ga2Z

Ga2Z

Cool indeed :D!

42. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey everybody, just passing thru with quick update (not on Project Champion, yet) letting everyone know that I have a new website which showcases my work and some thoughts about my design... You can click here to see my latest work. I am still working on Project Champion so stay tuned.

43. n0mad

n0mad

Nice design !

44. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Thanks... keeping it minimal, but effective...

45. dr.steam

dr.steam

She-man!

46. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

??? What??

47. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys, as I am still developing my game, I came upon one of my favourite moves from Eternal Champions, in which Xavier, turns his opponent into solid gold for a free hit... now with that in mind, I also have to think of the possible issues that may arise, such as performance. So here are some renders of a shader designed to create metallic objects... kinda thinking about selling it on the Asset Store if there is interest. All this shader will take is a black diffuse with an alpha, one of the swatches for the metallic surface, and a cubemap. Normal Maps are optional. Here are some of the metals below.

Bronze:

$Blade%201087x997%20Sunday%20Aug%2012%202012%2018_25_21.jpg

Copper:

$Blade%201087x997%20Sunday%20Aug%2012%202012%2018_32_57.jpg

Gold:

$Blade%201087x997%20Sunday%20Aug%2012%202012%2018_36_06.jpg

Bright Gold:

$Blade%201087x997%20Sunday%20Aug%2012%202012%2018_43_55.jpg

Chrome:

$Blade%201087x997%20Monday%20Aug%2013%202012%2001_59_07.jpg

These are just the few swatches that I hope to use in the game for my characters... and speaking of characters, I also have found a better way to attain details and pack the textures better than they are now... and it is more optimal. I hope to finish up Blade and start on more of the roster. The new Zbrush is out of this world...

More to come

48. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

After some struggle with this character design (and testing out Zbrush 4r4) I am glad to say I have gotten through this first version of the Blade character. I am finally gotten through some of his UV mapping and carefully optimized where the character should be optimized. Now just have to get this model textured and ready for rendering inside of Unity. So here are some captures of Blade with flat shaded and checker textures applied... which will serve as a place holder until the maps are all baked out. I am also thinking of giving him a gun, just to give him that thought of retaining some of the past... don't want to go TOO futuristic... I am sure they will have conventional firearms in 2030. More to come

Enjoy.

$Blade_Primary_0000_Flat.jpg $Blade_Primary_0001_Checkers.jpg

49. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Looking good man!

50. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Thanks man... here are some wires for this guy

$Blade_Wireframes.png