Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Project gets out of sync when I loose power

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Kobaltic1, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Kobaltic1

Kobaltic1

I am not sure if this happens only when I loose power, might also happen if I loose internet. Collab doesn't recognize my local repository. So I have to download the whole project again and wait for it update. My project is 40 gigs and takes 3-4 hours for this to happen. Is there a way to get Collab to see my stuff as being synced and not force me to download the whole project again? I am using Unity 2019.1.11f1. I am using which ever version of Collab comes with this version of Unity. It is NOT the V2 beta version.
    Thanks

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Kobaltic1, that sounds really frustrating. The next time that happens, could you try closing your project, going into your project's Library/Collab folder, deleting the CollabSnapshot file, then reopening your project and wait for it to resync to see if that fixes your issue before re-downloading your whole project?

3. Kobaltic1

Kobaltic1

I will try it when it happens again. Thanks for the reply.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  4. AlcoleponeHome

AlcoleponeHome

could this help also when my local version of a project is the most uptodate, but collab thinks the server is more uptodate? My machine crashed and now collab wants me to get latest from the cloud, but i know my local version is more uptodate.

5. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @AlcoleponeHome, yes, this above method should in your situation too. Give that a try and check after Collab has had a chance to resync itself with your project if it still thinks that there's a more recent version left to pull.

6. AlcoleponeHome

AlcoleponeHome

i deleted the CollabSnapshot, collab then wanted me to re-download the whole project again. this proceed to take about a hour. Once complete it did find most of the files were correct, it did show a number of conflicts and new files yet to be added.
    all in all, a single crash has cost me a whole day getting back to the state i was before the crash. Why does unity take so long to load again after a crash, and why does collab struggle to understand the files are the same?

7. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @AlcoleponeHome, I'm so sorry that this crash delayed your work for so long. Without having more information about the kind of crash that happened, it's difficult to be certain on exactly why Collab lost its sync state. We are aware that the snapshot file is a weak point in stability during scenarios when Unity crashes unexpectedly and we plan to address that in future updates. In the meantime, are you currently unblocked? If you run into that crash again then could you please submit a crash report with Unity's Bug Reporter so that we can investigate it further?

8. AlcoleponeHome

AlcoleponeHome

ok, when i deleted the library folder of the project, collab loses its snyc state, and requires a re-download. the library gets re-imported when the machine crashes. so thats why a machine crash seems to cause the issue.

9. Kobaltic1

Kobaltic1

@ryanc-unity I ran into the issue again today. I deleted the snap shot but it didn't work. I still have to download the whole project again.

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Kobaltic1, I'm sorry that didn't work for you. When you say that Collab loses track of your local repo, what does the Collab Toolbar look like? Is your project still linked to the Cloud Services in the Services Window? Have you tried unlinking and relinking to your existing project to see if Collab behaves like it's supposed to again?

11. Kobaltic1

Kobaltic1

@ryanc-unity it is normal it just shows that I need to download everything. Everything in my project as the blue box showing that it is a change. It is still linked. I can try unlinking and linking next time it happens. I will also take screen shots.

Edit: You should be able to reproduce this simply by cutting power to your computer while it is checking to see what is synced.