Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Unity 2022.2 is now available as the latest Tech release.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We are making some changes to the DOTS forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Project from Windows editor crashes on play in OSX editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Jeps66, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Jeps66

Jeps66

Hi

I have had a project going for while where all the team members where working on Windows. Recently a new team member joined the project working on OSX. The project is on Bitbucket so he pulled it from there. When he started working he could not get anything done because the editor would crash every 3-6 time you pressed play.
    We spent a long time trying to figure out what was wrong - going through Unity and OS versions, drivers and asset store assets, but nothing helped.
    Finally we figured out that it was the UnityVS asset (the Visual Studio extension that's installed by default on Windows) that caused the crashes. When he removed this everything worked perfectly.
    We couldn't find any references to this in web searches and that's why I'm posting it here.
    While it was obvious that the asset wouldn't fill any function on OSX it wasn't clear to us that it simply can't be in the assets.

Regards

J

2. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Unity Technologies

Hi, thanks for reporting this issue. Which version of Unity are you using? Since Unity 5.2 it is no longer required to have the UnityVS package inside the project in Unity, as we have native support for it.

http://unityvs.com/documentation/native-support/

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  3. Jeps66

Jeps66

Hi

I'm actually on 5.4 now. So I guess I just had the UnityVS asset inside the project because it was necessary when we started (on 5.0). I'll simply remove the asset from the project now.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Regards

J

lukaszunity likes this.