Search Unity

Games Project endless runner

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Kamil_Reich, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Hi,
    I would like to share here some progress of game I'm working on. It's kind "endless run", goals are mobile devices. Here is something which working ;) Video catched on adnroid:

I would like to ask you, as players, to make that game "I wanna play it all the time". So please look on that questions:
    1. What accually is in that kind of games, so you spend so much time?
    2. What is annoying in that kind of games?
    3. What are you willing to pay for (new vehicles, tuning, )?
    4. If you have got any ideas please share them here.
    And about making game, would you like to see here:
    5. How long it took to reach that moment?
    6. Some goals (reached, changed, crushed)?
    7. Some helpfull scripts?
    8. Or something other?
    Cheers,
    Kamil

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

You definately need some obstacles and curves.

3. PhilippG

PhilippG

And friction. It looks like you're driving on ice

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

For arcade type of game play, that may be fine.
    Depending how it feels during driving by player.
    But that could be something to drift, if there were curves actually.

5. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

#Antypodish, #PhilippG, thanks for reply.
    Sterring is at the moment only to test world, cars, and some other behave, it's just "transform.rotation.y now :)"
    i will post some video later, now I have got some issues with scripting, I'm adding new dependences now. I have got some progress ;)

6. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Hi,
    It took some time but finally I have got something worth to show :)

So what I made is:
    1. Fully controlled world spawner - I may choose chance of spawning side roads. For other worlds just change "tiles" and have a new world.
    2. Fully controlled car spawner - on video 1-2 cars per spawn cycle. on 5-7 it's almost traffic :) Still FPS stable on build.
    3. On first release I plan to give one map - with many options and 8 vehicles to control, tuning, etc.
    4. Cars are mostly from asset store, however I optimilized them in blender, reduced vertices by 30-80%.
    5. Goal is to run this game smooth on mid - high details on my 5 years old flagships killer, Also will be ultra for today's top :)
    6. Scene is ready so little comparsion from frame debugger with buildings optimalization frame debug_001.jpg frame debug_002.jpg :
    7. So can you give me some advice how to fill this gap at the end of the map? Camera's far clip plane is set up to 200, you may see "hole" beetween the city and skybox.

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

Use LOD, or something like Impostor, with rendering to texture.
    Second option is rather overkill.

8. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Wow, didn't knew about imposter method, may be usefull in the future projects, thanks.
    I will try first to add an texture (screenshot from part of city) far away, this hole looks like may be filled with 128x128 texture, being far away even less.

9. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Hi everyone,
    I'm working now on garage, here is video which showing what is done, details are in description.
    Please tell me what do you think about that, what may be changed or added

Cheers

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

Too much flashy distracting animations.

Kamil_Reich likes this.
  11. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Thanks

12. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

I've watched your video, and to be honest, it looks like you are having a little bit of trouble controlling your car. You don't seem to be able to thread the needle between two cars in one place where it looked like you intended to, your constantly making small corrections, and your turning radius seems to be huge. You don't show any sharp turns, which I'm going to assume is because tight turns feel hard to get right? I find racing games to be difficult to control with the exception of Mario Kart and that's mostly just because the karts themselves are pretty slow.

I think you could experiment with some alternative control schemes, especially if you plan for this to be a mobile game where fine controls are essentially non-existent. There are two main vehicle schemes in video games: The kind you are using where the players inputs directly control the car, which is probably what high level racing game guys want. I find that this control scheme has a very high skill ceiling, but also a very steep learning curve. I've played every Mario Kart since 64, and completed them all on the highest speed, but each time a new one comes out, I gotta relearn how to control the karts.

The other common control style was meant for non racers to be able to use vehicles more easily. The player controls the camera, and the vehicles automatically turns to match it, similar to just controlling a 3rd person player. I find this much easier to control.

My favorite "race" in any video game is

Yeah, really.

When I saw someone mention it looked like your car was sliding on ice, I completely disagreed, I thought of the Warthog, which is fine to me, I like being able to slide around when driving.

Kamil_Reich likes this.
  13. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Thanks @newjerseyrunner
    That may be it - to move right / left an object, so simple :)

14. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

Overall graphic and UI can be improved a lot into more solid.
    But I know that this is still on W.I.P. so I won't judge much on that first.

To get games run smoothly in mobile, you need to do texture atlasing.
    The lesser materials drawing at the same time, the better.

For my opinion, endless games are quite boring.
    Add purposes to the game would be a lot better.
    Something to achieve as targets, playing with friends, easter eggs etc...

Keep it up.;)

Kamil_Reich likes this.
  15. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

So finally game is 'ready'. I just need to add IAP, and add it on google play store :)
    So here is 15 minutes gameplay:

So now I may say few things why my game is better than others:
    1. Real car physics - no cube movement.
    2. Mods - other game have got slow motion and nitro. My game have got it too, but also 3 more:
    a) Invinsible - run through other cars without taking damage.
    b) ka boom - throw away other cars.
    c) stemhead - car with 1 milion kilograms :)
    3. Every mod may be upgraded as car stats, you may use at once two mods - there is special panel to set them.
    4. You may change almost everything in settings so it looking good even on old devices - like mine 5 years old. P.S. - color correction from post processing is bit heavy so uncheck this if it's run slow.
    5. You may change position and size of UI elements to give you best feelings.
    6. Achievements - not yet in game but every stat is scores in save file.
    7. Fair prices - every stats may be upgraded to 10 lvl, 1-7 with only normal money. Buying cars only with normal money. When you sell car, you get back part of money spend on car and upgrades. You earn money pretty fast. Last option from IAP is enough to maximize everything, even with some future vehicles ;)
    8. Armor - if damage received is under armor power - you lose no health.
    9. You may choose paint color from all color palettte.
    10. Music and engine sounds captured from real cars.
    11. Self made car model, inspired by porsche :)
    edit: 12. Damage is modyfing mesh :)
    Any feedback will be appreciated :)
    Cheers,
    Kamil

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  16. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Trailer :)

I wanted to publish this game on Christmass but as new developer i need to wait for google approve, will let you know when it will be accepted. Goals for the future:
    1. New maps.
    2. As title set it's not car endless runner so i want to add other type vehicles, one you may see in workshop ;) if you have got any ideas feel free to respond :)
    3. IOS version when I earn some money, maybe even pc.
    4. Ads, daily targets to get reward.
    Happy new year:D
    Cheers,
    Kamil

17. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Hi. After some suggestions I made shorter version of trailer:

Now I'm waiting for conctent rating from google since 25.12.2019. I was searching and it takes for new developers maximum 4 business days. I know it was Christmass time but now it's over enough to have some answer.
    So anyone was waiting over one week?

18. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

tunnel-001.jpg Hi, I just started working on second dimension on roads :)
    First screenshot is from gameplay, world is now may made with tunnels, now need to implement NPCs to spawn right and give more content inside tunnels and above.

19. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

20. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Hi all,
    From last update:
    • new map

• more tutorials - 'how to'

• daily missions

• physics upgrade
    You may play this game without spending money, game is designed to buy every vehicle with standard currency, the same for upgrading mods. To maximize stats you will need to buy gems. If you gonna buy biggest pack it will allow you to maximize everything in every car and you will still have for future new vehicles :)

I would like you to download this game, spend some time and write a review.

If you have got any questions feel free to ask here.

I will aprreciate if you will share link to gamet somewhere :)

Have fun,

Kamil

21. Antypodish

Antypodish

Your game feels like it has 0 challange in it. It will get extremely boring after just few plays. Why anybody would spend real money, to buy gems in this game, is beyond me to be honest.

I strongly suggest to work on fun factor, or you may face bomb of negative reviews very quick, before you game even launch properly. That will be hard to recover.

Tunning car by pumping artificially sliders isn't that fun at all.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Kamil_Reich likes this.
  22. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Thanks @Antypodish, that's what I need, truly helpfull review.

23. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Hi everyone,
    It took some time but finally it's in store :)
    So I get back to draw table and made big changes. So here is new trailer:

I'm planning to add new maps so it may fill story map properly:

Changes in short: To buy new cars you need to reach the right player level. Gameplay is clearly divided into story mission, time attack, daily missions, free ride. Full change list in this photo:

If you have got questions or suggestions feel free to share them :)
    Cheers,
    Kamil

Antypodish likes this.
  24. Antypodish

Antypodish

You have done massive progress. Well do e.

Game looks nice from vids. Is not my type of games, but I may give a go at some point to try and give a feedback.

Edit:
    I suggest to add bigger speed reduction penalty, for crashing into other cars.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    Kamil_Reich likes this.
  25. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Thanks for your time :)
    it looks like game is not in new version in store, It looks like bigger updates takes more time in pending.

26. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Game has been approved finally :)
    Meanwhile I'm working on new map, half of basic version is ready:

27. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Version with new map is in store :)

Now I must somehow split game so people will not to have download always whole game.
    Have fun.

28. Kamil_Reich

Kamil_Reich

Hi everyone,
    New versions came since my last post but they changes was tiny. So newest version is since yesterday.
    Change list:

1. Gem shop remodeled, prices are displayed with local currency and taxes.
    2. Developer may change some of variables remotly, for example: time to pass mission.
    3. I get info if player cannot beat the mission (internet connection required), with point 2 developer may change them. Plus developer see more graphs so that game may be done even better further.
    4. Easier contact with developer, player may start writing email inside game :)
    5. Player may see mods in action before buy (youtube video inside game, internet requred).
    6. Small changes.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Kamil.Projectendlessrunner
    Cheers,
    Kamil