Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Project Double Zero

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hi everybody,

Well we are busy working on Project Double Zero and I thought I open a new thread to show some new artwork and to keep you guys up to date with new screenshots and the likes. If you want to know what Project Double Zero is all about then please check the PDF that I posted for download here:

PROJECT DOUBLE ZERO ARTICLE

Our concept artist created a great looking "Poster" for our game so I thought I'd share it with you here as well. See below...

Attached Files:

2. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Looks like the work or Craig Mullins, of whom I am a big fan, so excellent job.

3. Obscurity

Obscurity

Looks like a lofty goal of a project. I dig the work so far. Great art. Share some more when you get a chance. Good luck!

4. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Glad you two like it. We started production on the first map. We will be posting some shots here as soon as we got something that looks halfway decent. At the moment we are trying to get the best possible workflow. The first map is going to be mid sized and "inside" to keep things rather simple and on a managable level. There are more maps planned for a later stage but we fist want to get a playable map ready and see what people think.

Thomas

5. orbitsteve

orbitsteve

NICCEEEE.... art is great ... have you stated production already ... i mean are you just four people creating the entire game.... the art work on the pdf seems like a AAA game though....
    but anyway cant wait to see some more updates....

cheers
    Steve

6. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hi Steve,

As stated above we have started production on the game. Our characters are in development and we also just started on the first playable map. There are only 4 guys involved in the creative process of the game and we just found a programmer that will help us getting it all together.

The idea is to create a free version of the game with one playable map and two characters (sides) to choose from. If we see potential and success then we most likely create more maps and more weapons, characters and such that can be purchased. The core however will remain free.

That's the idea anyhow. If people hate it then we had at least a great time creating it and we made new friends.

Thomas

7. crockett

crockett

Well if it's gonna be free anyway.. post it up :D

8. jamie

jamie

9. cblarsen

cblarsen

I like the bearded character, because he looks like a real person. Not too handsome, not too young, not too muscular. But he still has character.

I look forward to seeing what the gameplay will be like. Certainly nothing wrong with the art so far.

10. DGuy

DGuy

Yea, that first guy is just waaay too pretty! ;)

11. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Thanks for your nice comments so far guys! The gameplay won't be ground breaking since we are talking "First Person Shooter". However, we believe that we can make a good looking FPS game and certainly one that can be fun!

The first map is going to be a mid-sized map which will make for fast paced shooter action. More maps are already planned but not for the initial release.

We currently have no funding or sponsoring so we will have to see what can be done in the future. Maybe something will come up along the way who knows.

Anyhow, I will keep you guys up to date on things to come...

Thomas

12. jeremyace

jeremyace

Looking very slick indeed. Looking forward to seeing what else you guys come up with!

-Jeremy

13. lildragn

lildragn

Looking solid Thomas! Definitely keeping an interest on it. Dig the pdf!

~t

14. crockett

crockett

I didn't check out the PDF before.. it looks very nice and all the concept art is great. If you don't mind me asking, how many poly's are in your character models and how many players are you expecting the game to support? I'm kinda curious what I can expect to be able to do myself as I'm wanting to work on a FPS aswell.

15. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hi there Crockett,

Well we are trying to go for around 6-7k per character. We are still optimizing the characters. At the moment we are thinking of having up to 12 to 24 Players online at a time to battle it out. We will see how that will work. Our programmer is currently working on the whole network thing.

Thomas

16. crockett

crockett

Ahh ok so you are likely devloping for the windows or apple platforms rather than the webplayer?

17. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Yes, we do not intent to make this a "webplayer" friendly game. We simply don't want to cut down on the graphics. However, any half-way decent computer (Mac/Windows PC) should have no issue with Project Double Zero.

Thomas

18. boxy

boxy

Hey Thomas I've wondered what you'd be using Unity for - the artwork is breathtaking, love the concept and I look forward to seeing your progress.
    Cheers
    Boxy

19. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

No problem. If people really really want a webplayer, then simply set that to low priority. When the full game is complete, then make a cut-back low-res webplayer version (basically make low-res textures and meshes remove special FX), for people who want instant action. Of course, since the webplayer would be low-quality, a downloadable executable with good graphics and performance optimization would be much preferred.

Just 1 question:

In poster 1, is the red around the guy's mouth because he's a zombie, or is that a beard?

20. jeremyace

jeremyace

One thing to remember though, when coding a game of this size, you tend to use more of the .NET features and data structures such as Dictionaries, Hashtables, XML APIs and a wide range of other stuff, and with the way the Unity webplayer works, those extra .NET assembly DLLs are actually included in your player.

This can add several megabytes to the size of your webplayer, making it kind of a bad idea for a game of this size really.

My guess is that's exposed muscle, veins and tendons from the skin being torn off.

-Jeremy

21. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider

Really? I had no idea. Does it speed up development, give you more options, make gameplay faster, ...?

Eeeww. :wink: If whatever hit him had enough force to rip the skin of his face, then why didn't it take the rest of his jaw/teeth along with the skin?

22. Alec

Alec

give us some screenies or even better gameplay! :eek:

23. jeremyace

jeremyace

It depends on what you are doing and how you are doing it really. It certainly speeds up development if you need data structures that behave as the .net ones do (writing your own versions can take a fair amount of time), also for larger projects using technologies such as XML becomes very useful (modeling AI behaviour, data for animation blend trees, even level structure, networking settings, etc). The list goes on.

Because he's a bad-arse son-of-a spider monkey of course. They are known to often rip their own skin off just for the fun of it, and as an icebreaker at parties.

-Jeremy

24. Alec

Alec

Agreed

25. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Very cool artwork Tom... want to play, want to play! :D

26. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Thanks Casemon, Jeremy, Alec and others. We don't have much to show at this point as it is still in very early stage. I will however, make sure to show something here as soon as I have something "good" to show :)

Thomas

27. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Just wanted to let you guys know that we have a website for our game now. You can find it here:

http://www.projectdoublezero.com

Not much on there right now but a forum and such will be available there soon.

Thomas

28. lildragn

lildragn

Heya Thomas any new works?

~t

29. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hey there Lildragn,

Unfortuntely (since this is a sparetime project with no funding) we are currently all very busy with other projects that generate money. DoubleZero doesn't produce anything at the moment and investors/sponsors are not to be found easily.

We hope to be able to do some more work on it soon when most team members have some more spare time again. It's surely not a dead project but it's going to take some time due to said circumstances. It would look completely different if we have some funding of course.

Anyhow, thanks for your continued interest :)
    Thomas