Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Project Citadel - Action RPG in a Post-Apocalyptic Future

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Renin, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Renin

Renin

Genre: Action Role-Playing Game, 3rd-Person (STC)
    Target Audience: M for Mature
    Controls: Mouse & Keyboard, or Controller
    Thematic Setting: Post-Apocalyptic Earth/Underground
    Tech Stack: Unity 5.x, Blender, Photoshop, Ableton Live, Audacity
    Platform: PC (Steam)

Game Summary (STC): On February 27th, 2093, the replicants staged a global uprising. The war raged for decades, leaving death and destruction across the globe. Hidden in the remote hills of Iceland, humans built a massive fortress-city known as Citadel. This project was spearheaded by former Prime Minister Benjamin Caine, who resigned 5 years into the war after watching the replicants decimate the British Isles. It was the last bastion of hope for our species, and it was here that the final battle would take place.

In the winter of the year 2121, with 99% of the human race exterminated, the last surviving replicants launched a focused attack on Citadel. We fought gloriously, and the replicants suffered significant losses, but their strength was too great. The fortress-city was falling. When our defeat was all but certain, Benjamin Caine initiated the evacuation. The survivors, who thought Citadel was our last defense, followed in confusion as Caine led their retreat through a long passageway beneath the city. Their 5-mile journey under the earth ended at the orifice of a massive gateway, through which they entered a remarkable facility. They watched as the blast door descended behind them. The earth shook as 500 tons of controlled explosives were detonated, sealing the passageway for good.

This underground facility was constructed years before the war as a long-term shelter for the world’s elite in the event of a global catastrophe. At that time, it was climate change that threatened our species. The project was codenamed Chrysalis, and it was no accident that Citadel was built almost on top of it. Chrysalis was beyond top-secret. Benjamin Caine was one of just twelve people who knew of the facility and its purpose. By the time the replicants reached Iceland, Caine was the only one left. This became our new home, although many refer to it as “the Tomb”.

The remaining replicants did not pursue us. They, like us, were on the brink of extinction. They instead became determined to leave the planet as soon as possible and settle elsewhere in the universe. They converted what was left of Citadel into a massive factory and research center, where they’ve spent the last 10 years conducting tests and experiments to develop a colonization vessel capable of carrying their species to a fertile planet in a neighboring star system.

Since then, we humans have been clinging to life. A decade of fervent emotion and palpable tension has divided us into two conflicting ideologies. One faction, who call themselves the Senshi, demand that we prepare an attack on the ruins of Citadel, risking the very survival of the human race, in order to bring an end to the replicants once and for all and ensure they can never leave Earth. The other faction, the Serva, call this a foolish risk, and insist we allow the replicants to finish their research and escape, leaving us free to reclaim the surface. However, almost nobody questioned the leadership of Caine. It was his unifying presence that maintained the balance in Chrysalis.

Your chapter begins on the day of the death of Benjamin Caine. With the benevolent leader of the human species gone, the delicate balance has been disrupted. The conflict between the Senshi and the Serva is at risk of boiling over. A new leader must emerge to mend the division, and unite us in a common mission. Everyone wants to survive, but is that enough? Will we simply exist, or will we persist? The shape of our future hangs in the balance.

Core Player Experience: Vulnerable, survival, strategic
    Central Theme: Adaptation, metamorphosis of humanity
    Design Pillar: Willpower system
    Anticipated Remarkability: Memorable soundtrack, emotional story
    Anticipated Steam Early Access Launch Date: TBD
    Comparative Products: Fallout 3 & 4, Mad Max (Movie), Metro 2033, The Last of Us, Blade Runner (Movie)
    Feature Development Priorities:
    1. Advanced real-time melee combat
    2. Levelable character stats and abilities
    3. Inventory and usable items
    4. Survival mechanics and willpower system (STC)
    5. City-building mechanics for managing and upgrading base (STC)

Intro Quest (Goal for Playable Demo):
    Your acquaintance, an old engineer and weaponsmith, has asked you to retrieve his last experiment from the ruins of a nearby town. He claims it is a device capable of manifesting a blade out of pure energy. Enter the ruins, locate the device, and try not to die in the process.​

2. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

When do you plan to have a demo out?

3. Renin

Renin

@EternalAmbiguity I'm hoping to have a proper demo quest ready in less than a year. I will likely be working on smaller side-projects along the way and I am a pretty inexperienced developer, so it's hard to make an accurate estimate. But I will surely be posting all progress here in this thread as I go!

It's quite a big idea, so I'll have to make a lot of clever design decisions in order to keep it within a scale that I could realistically accomplish. I may also eventually bring more team members on-board if the right people come along, which will of course affect the speed of development. :)

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Following. This looks interesting.
    Good luck with progress towards a demo build.