Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Project assets missing when downloading from Collaborate

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by pccross, Nov 10, 2018.

1. pccross

pccross

Been using Collaborate for about a year now. I've become accustomed to whenever I upgrade to a new minor revision of Unity (i.e. 2018.2.1 to 2018.2.2), I always start fresh, and download my project from Collaborate into Unity.
    For some reason, recently, I see sporadic behavior of the download looking normal (takes about 3 hours for a 25GB project), and I get no errors. When done, the Unity editor is open with my project name in title bar, but no Assets or Scenes exist. I looked at the Windows directory, and the Assets folder is completely empty, as well as almost every other project directory. The directory size shows as ~350MB though, instead of 25Gb.
    When I go to delete the directory, the 'recycle' action takes a number of minutes and appears to being deleting many gigabytes of files.
    Are my files getting hidden somehow?

2. pccross

pccross

Some more info.
    I noticed there is a folder called "Projectname"\Library\Collab\Download\Assets" where I'm seeing all my intact assets.
    So I guess the real question is when I 'open project from cloud', and pick my project, why is everything downloaded to there, but nothing goes into real Assets folder, even though project opens successfully?

3. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @pccross! That is strange that Collab is succeeding in downloading your assets (since they're in your Library/Collab/Download folder) but not putting them in your actual directory. The quick fix would be to just copy-paste your assets from Collab/Download into your project directory, but I would check first after you attempted to download your project from the Cloud if there were any errors in the Editor log (or Hub log, if you were using Unity Hub to download from the Cloud). Were you downloading your project into 2018.2.2?

4. KodiakJack

KodiakJack

I'm on 2018.2.10f1 and having the same issue, the collab is downloading too \Library\Collab\Download\ but not moving to the main directory. Manually moving them makes unity see it as all new files, and then wants you to push all of them, it seems there might be an issue with whatever is actually moving them over.

Wintermute- likes this.
  5. KodiakJack

KodiakJack

I also can go deeper C:\project\Library\Collab\Download\Library\Collab\Merge

6. KodiakJack

KodiakJack

since I have the time I'll go through what all I did to try and remedy it. I re-downloaded through the collab button, relinked, reimported(many times), cut and pasted the files from download, cut and pasted only the meta files, cut and pasted only the asset folders, tried opening the file folder level with the assets directly, removing the main assets folder in hope when it recreated it would pull them in. re-downloaded into a new folder completely, copied all files over while it was closed(wouldn't open), copied all files over while open

7. Wintermute-

Wintermute-

We have the same problem today after downloading our project to a new computer using Collab. The project is eight months in development so I hope there is a way to solve this soon. I can't risk too many tests I am afraid we will break what is already in Collab.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  8. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Wintermute- likes this.
  9. GorkaChampion

GorkaChampion

I'm getting this issue all the time now (before was randomly). Basically we can't load and start working on our project right now. We have tried several times on a Mac and Windows. We are using 2018.3.b.12
    I see the assets in Library\Collab\Download but if I move them to assets, do I have the issue of having to publish all of them as new as referred above? Whats the solution?

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @GorkaChampion! You mentioned that you're using 2018.3b12. In the Package Manager when you have your project opened where it's all downloaded correctly, are you using v1.2.11 of Collab? If you are on 1.2.11, have you tried updating to 1.2.15 then publishing your changed manifest.json to see if that resolves your issue of downloading your changes to a new machine? If they don't then please submit a Support Ticket with a link to this thread and all the details that you have around the size of your project, the types of assets that you have and the Editor logs of your project that are generated while trying to download your project.

11. GorkaChampion

GorkaChampion

OK, I upgraded to 1.2.15, published changes and downloaded again a new project and now it worked fine and I can see all the assets. Great.
    Can be the issue caused for having more than one unity editors opened at the same time (different projects). I read somewhere that it was better to have only opened one project. Is this limitation actually true? Anyway some of the tries I made I was running only one editor.

aklodhi and Ryan-Unity like this.
  12. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm glad to hear that it's working for you now! This limitation actually isn't relevant anymore as of 2017.4, especially if you use the Unity Hub to install and open different projects in different versions. I'm in the middle of updating our Collaborate - Keep the User Safe guide to remove all outdated information. Thanks again for pointing this out! And let us know if you run into anymore issues.

13. IsntCo

IsntCo

Did you guys never actually fix this?

I am on Unity 2017.4.12f1 - pulling an existing project onto a new computer results in the download being placed in /Collab/Download/ and leaves an empty open project after the import. If you try opening /Collab/Download it imports all of the files, but then Collab wants to push (in my case, thousands) of new 'changes' to sync back up with Collab.

14. StaceyH

StaceyH

Administrator

@Appminis This should have been fixed. We have someone on the team taking a look to see if they can reproduce the issue.

15. dtakahas

dtakahas

@Appminis I tried this with your exact version today and got a reproduction I believe.

If I opened a cloud project using Unity Hub and choosing 2017.4.12f1, everything was fine.

If I used the regular 2017.4.12f1 launcher, I saw something similar to what you saw. It was definitely messed up.

So something in the launcher is not right. We'll investigate that. Can you confirm that you weren't using the Hub? If you weren't, using it would be a possible solution for now.

16. IsntCo

IsntCo

@dtakahas Correct, was not using the Hub.
    I can try using the Hub on the new computer, but in an attempt to sync everything up, I pushed a commit with those few thousand of changes from Computer #2. I have not pulled them in on Computer #1 yet. Is there a way to delete the most recent commit? Because of the weirdness with the initial pull on Computer 2, no amount of going back to older versions/Restoring/Reverting to older commits on Computer 2 results in the files being synced. So I really need to just delete the most recent commit from Computer 2 (the only commit with these issues). I'm fine deleting the full project on that computer and trying again using Hub, but I don't want to mess anything up on the original Computer 1. The project is 30gb, so its heavy.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  17. dtakahas

dtakahas

@Appminis The safest way to get back to the right state without touching Computer 1 would be this:

1. Start with a new, clean checkout (using the Hub) on Computer 2.
    2. On Computer 2, use the instructions here https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityCollaborateRollback.html making sure to do the step that says "To publish the restored version as the current revision in the cloud, click the Publish now! button."
    3. Verify that everything looks right on Computer 2.
    4. Now when you update on Computer 1, there should be no actual file changes pulled. You will jump past the Computer 2 commit you didn't want to pull.

I know you won't be able to see what you are pulling onto Computer 1 as far as files (it should be none), so if you are worried about that part, please send a Support Ticket and ask us to check the diff to make sure it's clean. We can also follow up with alternate solutions if you'd like.

18. Trys10Studios

Trys10Studios

I'm not sure if this is going to solve anyone else's issues, but I want to give my experience as I was running into the same issue. My associate saved the project to the cloud, gave me permission to view (through Unity ID), and finally got all that working. Then, I ran into another issue - the one mentioned here - so in my search for a resolution I found the original talks about collab in Unite 2016 and in passing it was mentioned by 'publishing' your project, it is instantly backed up in the cloud. Out of curiosity, I tried downloading from the cloud a project on my own account, and the assets did not show up, so I wrote some text in the collab toolbar (as the speaker did in Unite) and hit publish. I then tried accessing that same project from the cloud and voila, it worked. The assets downloaded and everything was fine. Now I have to wait until the morning to see if that will work for my associate

josi1301 likes this.
  19. NatalieW15

NatalieW15

20. MajorMoj0

MajorMoj0

We may never know.

arianaaf likes this.
  21. ISanchezV

ISanchezV

This just happened to me and someone else in my team right now. We're on 2018.4.14f1 on Mac. Was there ever a fix for this?

22. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @ISanchezV, after downloading your project, have you checked your project's source directory, inside of the Library/Collab/Download folder to see if your project's assets are there?

23. tdarby

tdarby

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is happening to me, too. Assets and packages appear to download successfully to the Library/Collab/Download/ folder, but not to the actual base level of the project. Unity tries to open the files and just throws a bunch of console errors for files it can't find.

The original work for this project was done on macOS, and I'm trying to load it onto a Win10 virtual machine running in VirtualBox. I'm using the same account in both locations, as I'm just trying to make UWP versions that macOS can't build. There are no collaborators other than myself.

[ETA: I'm running latest on both machines (hub v. 2.3.1, Unity v. 2019.3.14f1)

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  24. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @tdarby, I'm sorry that you're having issues downloading your project. Could you open a Support ticket with us so that we can investigate this further? Here's how you can open a Support ticket:
    1. Navigate to your project on the Developer Dashboard.
    2. Select Collaborate > Support from the left hand menu.
    3. Click on Open a Ticket and fill out the support form.

25. omerhijazi2008

omerhijazi2008

Well, I'm not even getting them in Library
    please help
    as my pc was reset and I have my project only on unity collab and i don't want to lose it

26. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @omerhijazi2008, could you go into a little more detail for me? Which versions of Unity and Collaborate are you using? Are you seeing missing assets every time you try to download your project? Is there not a Library/Collab/Download folder for your Project after you pull from Collab?

27. laoguru

laoguru

This is happening to me as well, on ver 2020.2.3f. My libary/collab/download folder also doesnt contain assets, only manifest.json and another json

On mac big sur with m1 chip

28. vibez_rl

vibez_rl

Hello, I downloaded the Collab Project, but the assets are missing...
    Its just the blank unity file, nothing in the collab download folder or similar.

29. wassim-s-haddar

wassim-s-haddar

Hello, just pointing out I had this same issue and It turned out that the Cloud project had some Infected files that the Antivirus Deleted, Deleted files will cause an issue so if you have a similar case to this just checkout with your team to remove or check whatever files that are keeping you away from importing the whole project

30. radiantboy

radiantboy

same here in 2021... what the hell