Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Project archiving

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by dri_richard, Oct 12, 2018.

1. dri_richard

dri_richard

This is a topic that was touched on here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/can-i-configure-the-location-of-the-packages-cache.530211/ but I think it warrants a separate discussion.

Many game publishers require that at the end of a project, the developer supplies all code & data for archiving purposes.

Currently, if the publisher needed to rebuild the game, then perhaps the only external dependency is that the Unity licensing server is running. The Package Manager would seem to add more dependencies.

Presumably there is no guarantee that all packages used by a project will remain available for download in the versions required by the project. How - technically - can we work with the Package Manager to continue to meet our contractual obligations?

DougRichardson likes this.
  2. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hello @dri_richard,

User relocated package caches, like you stated, is a known issue that we're working to provide to our users when ready.
    As for your specific problem, which is to continue respecting your contractual obligations, from 2018.2.0f1 you already have the Library folder at the root of your project that contains the packages used by your project. That means that when "zipping" your project everything is self contained. If you're using an earlier version there are other things that can be done, like embedding a package, but that solution is more involved in terms of support.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Cheers,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

DougRichardson likes this.
  3. dri_richard

dri_richard

I wouldn't normally include the Library folder in an archive - are the packages stored in a subfolder or would I need to include the whole thing?

4. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hi @dri_richard,

There is indeed a PackageCache subfolder that contains the packages used by your project if you wish to drill further down. I'm not entirely sure if you would need the whole thing. Let me make absolutely sure that it can be included as "standalone".

Cheers,
    Pedro
    Unity STE

5. dri_richard

dri_richard

My Library folder only contains metadata, ScriptAssemblies, ShaderCache and UIElements subfolders - there's no PackageCache.

6. pedro_unity

pedro_unity

Hello @dri_richard,

You can only include the PackageCache folder in the archives if you wish.

What version of Unity is your project based out of?

Cheers,
    Pedro
    Unity STE