Search Unity

ProGrids

Discussion in 'World Building' started by FiveFingerStudios, Jan 23, 2019.

1. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

I have a very strange issue.

With ProGrids turned on my meshes SOMETIMES snaps to grid, other times they do not....they snap near the grid.

Even if I make a Unity cube and try to snap it to another Unity cube, they don't snap together using ProGrids. They are off by a very small amount.

I've tried lining up vertices from multiple Probuilder objects and again sometimes they snap together, other times they do not.

Note: I currently have the lastest versions of Probuilder and ProGrids and I'm using Unity 2017.4.14

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi there! Hmm, if you are using Unity 2017.x then you would also have the older Asset Store versions of ProBuilder and ProGrids- are you able to upgrade to Unity 2018.3? ProGrids 3 is available as a preview package, and ProBuilder 4 is fully released (just a few days ago), many many updates and fixes included.

Regardless, what you are attempting should work (in theory). Can you check a few items:

1) Create a ProBuilder cube
    2) Ensure ProGrids is open
    3) Set Grid size to .25
    4) Click the "Push To Grid" button to make super sure the PB cube is on the Grid
    5) Ensure ProGrids is toggled "ON"
    6) Duplicate the PB Cube, then move it around - it should snap correctly
    7) Move the verts- they should also snap

Something important to note: ProGrids snaps the Pivot. So, if you are using "Center" handle view, it might appear to not snap correctly (although it is correct). Make sure you are using "Pivot" for a more precise view.

Let me know if that helps :)

3. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Unfortunately, I can't upgrade my project as I'm deep into the development cycle.

Using the "push to grid" button helps make sure that meshes are lined up, however I'm still experiencing this issue.

I think I've gotten it down to how to replicate it. If I vertex snap WITHOUT proGrids on, they don't line up. This is strange because its AFTER I've saved the mesh as an asset. My normal meshes (from FBX files) snap with no problems, but the ones created with ProBuilder require me to have ProGrids active. I guess the work around is to make sure I have it active when working with assets created with ProBuilder.

On another note, and this is a long standing issue I've had. Sometimes a face may go black when editing. No matter what I do (flip normal, try fixing UV's with box or planar) it stays black. The only way to "fix" the issue is to CTL-Z to back out the change. Is there some way to fix these faces?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Hmm, you say "Vertex Snap without ProGrids on" - I assume you mean holding "V" and snapping? Just to make sure, if you hold "CTRL" this will not actually snap, just move a certain amount - but I think you mean the "V" thing, just checking :)

If you see PB faces going black, it could be:
    A) Lightmap generation (just wait for it to clear up)
    B) UVs breaking - try opening the UV Editor, select the face, click "Break UV Group" and then "Reset UVs"

5. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Yes, I mean holding down "V" after I've closed ProGrids completely (Toosl/ProGrids/Close ProGrids).
    I use ProBuilder to make mini building (as in stores, factories, etc) kits for my game. I try to make sure that the vertices that will connect two separate pieces are on the grid, by selecting all vertices for a particular PB object and moving the whole object (with ProGrids on).

Now that I think of it, this is wrong. I should be only selecting the connecting vertices one at a time, move them to the grid, then save the mesh....correct?

Thanks for the solution to the PB faces going black, just tried it and it works :). I should have asked that question over a year ago!

Thanks for the help!

6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Happy I could help with the faces issue! :)

Could you maybe post some images of what you are doing, a video perhaps even? I'm having a tough time seeing exactly what you mean. However, part of the problem might be that you are moving the verts on just 1 or 2 axes, and you (might) have "Snap on Selected Axis Only" enabled.

It does seem odd that you would move all the verts...plus, if your object is off grid, then you snap the verts, then snap the object...they verts will be offset to off-grid again :D

7. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

Yea, I don't have "Snap on Selected Axis Only" enabled.

Question:
    I thought that if all verts were on the grid, then the object is on the grid....so you are saying that is not the case? If that is not the case, then I suspect that may be the problem.

I'll try that and if I'm still having issues, I'll make a video.

8. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

That didn't work for me, but I did notice that when I restarted Unity, the issue went away. I suspect that at times I may need to restart Unity (I leave my computer running 24/7).

If I get the issue again, I'll see if that's the issue. If not, I'll make a video...thanks for the help!

9. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Ok, glad it's "solved" :D Happy to help!