Search Unity

ProGrids still in preview?!

Discussion in 'World Building' started by andyz, Nov 29, 2018.

1. andyz

andyz

I'm curious that the ProGrids package is still in preview - no doubt it could use some additions and a more Unity-like interface but having been available for a while I thought would be out of preview like ProBuilder.
    What is the plan for grids and snapping going forward?

2. orb

orb

Judging from their page about ProBuild and ProGrid (singular!), it looks like they are planning to merge them to become one tool which integrates better with Unity. So it's probably just interface improvements/smoother package installation left, while feature-wise it seems fairly complete.

3. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Yep, we plan to integrate the tools more "seamlessly" with Unity, though that's going to take some time.

andyz and orb like this.
  4. andyz

andyz

OK the only annoying thing though is the title bar then shows "[PREVIEW PACKAGES IN USE]" when using it!
    Someone should be nudged to accept it as ready for now!

5. Haapavuo

Haapavuo

Still in preview. :(

6. Haapavuo

Haapavuo

Come on Unity, move this out of preview!

7. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Update: we're deprecating ProGrids ... and making all it's functionality native to Unity! :) Much better option, should appear in 19.3 soon.

linojon, ron-bohn, dadude123 and 2 others like this.
  8. bitinn

bitinn

A very late follow up on this: Is this in the plan still for Unity 2019.3? What does it mean for us on Unity 2018 LTS?

(I know "preview" is really just a way to say the API will change and break; but if there is no update planned for the ProGrids package, might as well put it out of preview?)

9. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

Nice!

10. dev_cl0ne

dev_cl0ne

Does it mean that users will get API for querying snap settings? :)

11. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

19.3 has a basic Grid solution, it'll snap but is not complete. 2020.1 has ProGrids parity (98% or so). 18.x (including LTS) will not have any of this, sorry :(

Yup!

dev_cl0ne likes this.
  12. ruipalmeira

ruipalmeira

not sure what's going wrong with my setup, but I've completely removed all traces of Unity in my system and re-installed only the 2018(lts) version. and ProGrid/Probuilder isn't working properly (new/clean project with only progrid/probuilder and cinemachine imported), throwing a bunch of console errors just by merely having it added as a project dependency (on the project folders thing, which i can't recall the name).
    Also, not sure if it was progrid or probuilder that caused this, but i'm about to have to remake an entire month of work (thankfully, most of the hardwork is done for good, which is scripting, but visual stuff have to be manually placed again), cause my project just blown up (was using 2019 something for it, I'm reverting to 2018 lts)...

13. zaguarman

zaguarman

April 2020 is still filtered as a preview package. Guys are you still working on this?

14. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

From my very basic understanding, there is a lot going on right now in terms of the future long-term roadmap of moving away from object-oriented programming as we know it...going to dots etc. This, combined with rendering enhancements, has been a burden of progress and somewhat of a growing pain.

When it all gets sorted (and it will), we will be able to achieve exponentially higher levels of gameplay concepts. Things like open world with thousands of NPC's optmized in a way that is kind of like static batching in deferred rendering with however many lights. So you can have heavily populated areas of skinned mesh renderers, vehicles, and so many other things that are capped right now, or, at least curbed and powering through with gpu instancing variations.

There is also a hot key in every graphic design, 3d design, whatever program ever that snaps to a grid. It's best practice imho to do everything in 0.5 or 1.0 grid for your pivot points in order to for the simplest possible modular set-up. This way, you can make individual level pieces that fit together nicely, while not being limited in artistic modelling with a grid if you don't want to.

15. zaguarman

zaguarman

I'm aware there is a lot going on and there will be breaking changes patch after patch but I love this tool to make whiteboxing and I find it awfull that they just left it there die, It has been years since they bought this tool and I dont see any improvements or bugfixes since years...

Its not about getting the meshes done, this tool is perfect to get the right the measures of the meshes and then export them to a third party design program and do the fine tuning there.

I have the hope that in the end they will integrate it natively and correct the major bugs are facing right now. I dont believe its a big time investition in comparison to the other projects they have in mind.

ron-bohn likes this.
  16. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

You make a good point.

zaguarman likes this.