Search Unity

Resolved progrids & overlay system

Discussion in 'Authoring Dev Blitz Day 2023' started by nehvaleem, Jan 26, 2023.

1. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

Will there be any update to the progrids that will include a transition to the overlay system? I find it very frustrating that even unity tools don't follow the current state of tech.

2. EricDziurzynski

EricDziurzynski

Unity Technologies

@nehvaleem , yes we are still actively working on improvements to overlays for certain and have plans to overhaul grids and snapping in Unity in general. It will likely not be an update to ProGrids since that is in maintenance mode and we are not actively adding features to it nor planning any improvements specifically to that package.

We're are currently planning on providing more native level design tools to the Unity Editor with full overlays integration and in doing so we do plan to improve the grids and snapping in the process. I have no specific timetable that I can commit to at this time but do know we are working to improve this aspect of Unity.

Can I ask what you are using ProGrids for specifically? Or any specific problems you are trying to solve that cannot today in a certain version of the editor? With more feedback we might be able to provide some support or links to tools that could help you.

3. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

I am working on a game with grid-based movement, so ProGrids with configurable snap size and convenient-ish overlay integrated into scene view is for now the best fit for me. I like that I am able to set custom grid size (i.e. 0625 units and snap objects while translating them).

Afaik no other tool built-in can achieve something like the above.

4. EricDziurzynski

EricDziurzynski

Unity Technologies

@nehvaleem , thank you for following up on this. We'll definitely add this feedback to our backlog entries for grids and snapping improvements.