Search Unity

progrids major line increment option missing

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Icrx, May 26, 2019.

1. Icrx

Icrx

I've been away from unity for a while and when i back i've noticed that major line increment in progrids among other options just disappeared.
    I've updated progrids from version 2.0.1 and i am using the version 3.0.3 compatible with the latest probuilder.
    if it's not a bug, there's no way to set this option anymore? why?
    it's just locked to 10x10 subdivision?
    it's crucial for me to work in 8x8 (power of two) grids because of the texture alignment of my game.
    furthermore -game- engines usually works with power of two grids by nature. I can't believe there's no way to set this option anymore.

EDIT:
    I was investigating progrid preferences and saw an option for accenting the "tenth" line alpha (instead of "major" line") and my suspicions became real.
    well, apparently probuilder just don't support my work process anymore.
    I wonder how no one besides me missed this feature before.
    I must be the ONLY that still uses power of 2 tiles and textures...
    maybe its obsolete? i think not. taking into account the large number of retro games made with unity.
    at least blender and ANY other 3d software still has this feature (for people like me) and i can work in the grid subdivision i want.
    there must be a very good reason to take an option (instead of give) from user.
    that is a sufficient reason to probuilder became unusable for me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    geff likes this.
  2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Icrz! Sorry about the troubles. 10th line was used because ... hmm, can't super remember, it's been a long time, but I'd guess because that is what the Unity grid uses. However, I agree this should be configurable especially so that power of 2 (or other options) are properly served. We're working on combing ProGrids with Unity snaps into a single native solution, will make sure this is included :) Thanks for the feedback!

3. Icrx

Icrx

alright .. hope so, because probuider is handy.
    thanks for the answer.

4. geff

geff

Hey, any news on the grid subdivisions? Either Progrid or Unity Snaps?
    Not necessarily a power of 2 but any subdivision size would be cool.

5. geff

geff

I found a temporary workaround by modifying Progrid plugin code :
    in GridRenderer.cs, change majorLineIncrement Init, and k_PrimaryColorIncrement from 10 to 8 :

As it's already an option saved in EditorPrefs, it would be nice to have this option in UI settings.

Code (CSharp):
    2.         const int k_PrimaryColorIncrement = 8;
    3.         static float s_AlphaBump;
    4.         internal static Color gridColorX;
    5.         internal static Color gridColorY;
    6.         internal static Color gridColorZ;
    8.         public static int majorLineIncrement = 8;
    10.         /// <summary>
    11.         /// Destroys any existing render objects, then initializes new ones.
    12.         /// </summary>
    13.         /// <returns>
    14.         /// True if instance resources were successfully initialized; false if not.
    15.         /// </returns>
    16.         public static bool Init()
    17.         {
    18.             majorLineIncrement = EditorPrefs.GetInt(PreferenceKeys.MajorLineIncrement, 8);

Osac likes this.