Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

ProGrids - keyboard hotkey to toggle snapping

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Xarbrough, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

In the current package version 3.0.3 there is no keyboard shortcut to enable and disable snapping. Would it be possible to add this as a configurable hotkey? I often like to switch between grid and no-grid.

I can see two variants work: Either hitting e.g. the 'm'-key toggles the mode to enabled/disabled or by holding the key I can temporarily invert the mode (if snapping mode was enabled, snapping will be disabled while holding the key and if snapping mode was disabled, snapping will be enabled while holding the key).

PS: Thanks for this great tool, I deeply enjoy using ProGrids!

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Actually, you should be able to hold "D" to disable the Grid, can you try this and let me know if it works? Thanks, glad you like the tools!

3. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

Ah ok, thank you, that's something! I can press and hold D and then move things off grid. Would be perfect if I could change the keybinding. And a minor convenience issue is the fact, that I have to press D before I start dragging the object. In other applications, such as Maya, I can move an object on the grid and while moving, can disable the grid by holding m to make final small adjustments all in one go.

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Good point! Holding the key should "un-snap", that's standard in other tools yep.

We should be able to open up key setting in the prefs, too :)

Xarbrough likes this.
  5. TheDewey

TheDewey

Also is there to change that shortcut, As It seems to override "control+d" for duplicate in the scene view. or is my version just weird?

dejwifati likes this.
  6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Yep, working on a fix for that- sorry!

7. dejwifati

dejwifati

@gabrielw_unity: Thank you for working on this! Is there a status update on the fix?

8. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Sorry, slow going, focusing on PB 4.x - haven't gotten the fix in yet. Will bump that one up, it's really frustrating!

9. Anthony0506

Anthony0506

add axis independent snapping. so you can set one axis to .1 and one to .5, or whatever it is you need.

a key to actually turn snapping on/off would be great, because since you haven't added independent snapping, people switch between unity snapping (hold control) and progrids snapping, and having to turn off progrids snapping manually eats up lots of time.

10. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Hello....

W-A-S-D keys are spoken for
    as scene navigation... Can you not use them, as it breaks scene navigation, when I enable grids? PLEASE. Or how can I rebind them to something besides move right (D) and move back(S).

Otherwise, using progrids, I can only move forward and left (W and A keys) in the scene view, or have to act like its 1998 and use the arrow keys and lose the ability to straif sideways in the scene view. I'm trying to locate how to rebind these keys, to fix this problem without just not using progrids.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SceneViewNavigation.html
    Flythrough mode
    Use Flythrough mode to navigate the Scene View by flying around in first-person, similar to how you would navigate in many games.
    • Click and hold the right mouse button.
    • Move the view around using the mouse, the WASD keys to move left/right/forward/backward, and the Q and E keys to move up and down.
    • Hold down Shift to move faster.
    @gabrielw_unity

11. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  12. kelheor

kelheor

Still can't duplicate mesh with Ctrl-D. The single press doesn't do anything, but if you press and move an object, you will get hundreds of duplicates in a couple of seconds. Can't use ProGrids because of that at this moment.