Search Unity

[ProGrids] Grid is rotated and I can't change colors

Discussion in 'World Building' started by tosiabunio, Nov 2, 2018.

1. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

I'm working with 2018.3.b8 right now and ProGrids started to act up. First, my grid is rotated (slanted) for some reason and I don't know how to reset that. Second, when I reset the ProGrids settings, the grid color changes to full green and it doesn't seem to react to any color changes. I managed to change it to white somehow, but it still ignores the color changes I make with the inspector. The grid looks like this now:

Vertical lines at the bottom are not drawing properly as well.

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Can you let me know some basic info:
    1) Version of Unity
    2) Version of ProGrids (also, asset store or package manager)

Is the image above from a direct ortho view, or iso/perspective? It might appear that ProGrids is slanted, if your camera is. Those lines are definitely drawing incorrectly though.

Have you tried the good 'ol "uninstall and reinstall" for ProGrids?

3. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

1) 2018.3.b8
    2) 2.5.0.f0

The view is ortho (this is the Scene window), the camera is not slanted (rotation vector is 0,0,0). Re-install didn't help.

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Ah- that version is not supported in 2018.1 and above. You'll want to use the Package Manager version:

1) Window > Package Manager
    2) Click ProGrids
    3) Click "Install" (choose a specific version if you like)

5. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

I wish I could install it that way. My Package Manager offers me only those:

6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Ah, sorry- click "Advanced" (just a bit right of "All Packages") and enable "Show Preview Packages" :)

7. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

Colors are fine now, yet the grid is still slanted for some reason:

As you can see, the camera is not rotated.

8. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hmm, I see. That's very odd. ProGrids wasn't designed for 2D mode, but it certainly shouldn't be skewed like that. Sorry, I'm really not sure what might be going on there. Have you applied rotation to your gameworld or anything like that? Is this a small project that you can zip and send to me?

9. NemoStein

NemoStein

Same (almost) problem here...
    My grid isn't slanted, but they are green...
    I was using the version from AssetStore and it was working OK, until I changed some settings (Edit > Preferences > ProGrids). Then it turned green... 0x00FF00 green...

After some googling I found this thread.
    I removed the old version (deleted from my Assets folder) and installed it through Package Manager.
    It worked until, guess what, I open the preferences dialog again (even without changing anything).

Closing/Opening Unity and opening the preferences dialog display all 3 colors full green. Reseting to defaults reverts these color pickers back, but the grid doesn't.
    Sometimes the grid is rendered above the ProGrids UI.

I've tried all 3 versions available and the Asset Store version, none work anymore.
    Cleaning my Library folder, the NPM cache inside Unity local data or anywhere else I could find didn't help.

progrids.png

10. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

Did more investigation and found that the grid seems to be attached to one of the objects or rather one of its children, hence its rotation.

When the object is removed, the grid disappears completely.

11. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

@tosiabunio - did you remove ProGrids Asset Store version before installing the Package Manager version? If not, I'd go back and remove both, then add ProGrids from Package Manager, just to be safe.

In your most recent screenshot, I see that "Follow Selected Object' is enabled (the lock icon in the middle of the ProGrids tool panel). This will make the grid "follow" whatever is selected, though it shouldn't matter in a full ortho view, and rotation shouldn't follow.

Are you able to repro this problem at all in a separate, clean project? I'm curious if something might be interfering with ProGrids.

12. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the info- can you start a separate thread for this one? That'll help me keep track better. I'll try to get a repro on it over here :)

13. NemoStein

NemoStein

14. NemoStein

NemoStein

tosiabunio and gabrielw_unity like this.
  15. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

I'm using Polish version of Windows and I also noticed that Unity started to use a comma as decimal separator. That's the reason it doesn't work for me as expected.