Search Unity

ProGrids 2: Grids + Snapping for Unity, now with 3D Grid!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, May 14, 2014.

1. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

2. Zackhanzo

Zackhanzo

Bought ProBuilder some time ago, and it works fine on Unity Free. I guess proGrids2 will work aswell, right?

PS: Bought it, works fine on unity free too

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yep, all our tools work fine in free and Pro, 4.6 and 5.x :)

4. mwituni

mwituni

Hi,
    Just started using this and its a great tool, thanks.

Any idea when you expect the "local" option to be available, I see users have been asking a while for it, or is it already maybe through some magic keystroke?

It certainly will be extremely useful to allow to snap the grid to the pivot point of something created in ProBuilder etc, specially as not everything can be built at unit size.

5. mwituni

mwituni

Hi,

Is this still being worked on? It's a bit quiet in here.

Any idea on a when / if a "local" option will be available? ie. The ability to reset the grid origin to the current selected point (and hopefully rotation too)

That would make it really useful.

Thanks

6. karl_

karl_

ProGrids is still actively supported, yes. I'm not sure when I'll get to adding local snapping support, though in the meantime you could just use Unity's default snapping which is always relative to the starting point of a movement (shortcut is Control key, adjust increments in Edit/Snap Settings).

I'm planning on revisiting the interface at the same time as ProBuilder, so I'll try to fit this feature addition with that update.

7. mwituni

mwituni

Thanks, sounds great.

It's a really useful tool.

I was using it yesterday and battled to get it to only snap on one axis though. Didn't spend much time on it, but whatever I did it was snapping on all 3. So that may be a handy option too, unless it works already.

8. karl_

karl_

Yup, snapping per-axis or on all axes is a setting in the Preferences/ProGrids panel.

9. mwituni

mwituni

Great, thanks ... I overlooked that.

10. mwituni

mwituni

Actually, I don't think thats working ...

As soon as i grab the gizmo to move the selected loop up on the Y axis, it jumps forward on the Z axis

I can toggle any of the X, Y, Z grid buttons on the UI, it does the same.

11. karl_

karl_

Sometimes that feature is picky about the model scale, is the model very big or very small?

12. mwituni

mwituni

Thanks for reply.
    No, I wouldn't say scale is an issue - its a house, so about 10m x 12m footprint ... 14 - 16m high

13. karl_

karl_

Shoot, sounds like a bug then. Will look into it asap!

14. wheezygeezer

wheezygeezer

Suddenly ProGrids is not appearing...:( I do not have a Tools menu any more.
    Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

----
    ProGrids 2, Unity 5.3.3f1 Personal, iMac OSX El Capitan (10.11.3) AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDr3

15. karl_

karl_

Are there any compiler errors in your project? Sometimes if another plugin is failing to compile Unity won't load other editor scripts.

16. wheezygeezer

wheezygeezer

I'm not compiling anything. New project with assets selected and loaded, including ProGrids. I've tried deleting out the assets I'm less likely to use - but now I'm at the same stage of asset loading as before and PG isn't available....

17. wheezygeezer

wheezygeezer

Solved. Don't know if Standard Assets was imported wrong - but deleted and reimported then ProGRids and it's working. I'm confused, but glad it's up and running now.

18. karl_

karl_

Weird. Well if you see any further issues let me know!

19. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I know you got it working.. But just saw this and wanted to comment. You never compile anything, Unity does when it detects new scripts have been added or scripts have been changed. I think you are maybe confusing with Build, which you actually do to make a build of your project. Typically when troubleshooting and people mention compile, they are probably talking about Unity's internal compile. If you look in the console, any messages there prior to pressing play are from the internal Unity compiler checking the scripts.

karl_ likes this.
  20. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Is there a way to extrude or move a face of a ProBuilder cube using Pro Grids 2, without having the edges of that face collapse into one?

before.jpg after.jpg

21. karl_

karl_

Yes, you'll need the snap increment to be set high enough that vertices don't have to smoosh (technical term) together, and in the Unity Preferences/ProGrids panel set "Snap on Selected Axis" to true.

22. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

"Snap on Selected Axis" in the Unity preferences was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

karl_ likes this.
  23. DarkMarmot

DarkMarmot

If creating levels dynamically, does ProGrids have a programmatic API to facilitate layout to tile things or place items appropriately in the grid?

24. karl_

karl_

It doesn't, but you could look at the pg_Editor class to see how snapping works and just extract what you need.

25. DarkMarmot

DarkMarmot

Ahh ok, cool, thanks! :)

26. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

This isn't doing anything for me. Regardless of mode or how I move, it's always snapping on all three axes. This is making some of what I'm doing pretty much impossible...

According to the documentation if I have "Snap on Selected Axis" selected and move by using the arrows it should snap only in the direction of movement, but that's not what's happening.

Hopefully I'm just overlooking something?

Edit: Turning off "Snap as Group" helps. What's that meant to do? I searched the manual and it didn't find anything for "group".

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  27. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, I want to create a level editor for player. Can ProGrids works on runtime? More precisely, I hope player can place items on the ground with grids, just like what we do in MineCraft, and then save them to json, is that possible for ProGrids?

28. karl_

karl_

What's your snap size set to? If you're working at extremely small scales it could be rounding errors causing the issue.

Snap As Group is the difference between snapping all selected objects individually (off) or snapping just the handle (on).

29. karl_

karl_

ProGrids does not have a runtime API, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread you could pretty easily look through the source for the snapping code. Placing on ground and saving to JSON is not something ProGrids can do.

30. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, I know how to do the latter, just curious about its runtime API :)

31. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Snap size is set to 1.

32. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Just tried it on a different computer, same issue. Looking over the geometry in general there's also a bunch of other places where the snapping has occurred on more than one axis that I didn't originally notice, too, so I'll probably have to start it again.

(On that note, it'd be awesome if we could set arbitrary points, lines or planes and snap to those as well. But that's a feature request of its own.)

Details:
    Versions: ProGrids 2.2.4f0, ProBuilder 2.4.5f1, Unity 5.3.4f1.
    Snap Method: Snap on Selected Axis
    Snap value: 0.5
    Snap as Group: Enabled
    Action: Select either an edge or a pair of vertices, use the Y-axis arrow to drag up/down.
    Expected result: Edge/vertices should snap on Y axis to nearest 0.5 unit height.
    Actual result: Edge/vertices snapping to correct Y value, but Z value also being modified, resulting in incorrect position.

I've tried with different snap value (1.0) and with Snap as Group enabled/disabled, and with the gizmo in both local and world modes.

This is a project I started fresh just to do some casual modelling in, so ProGrids and ProBuilder and a few reference models are all that's in it. I also imported PolyBrush originally, but removed it as the computer I started this on had an older version of Unity that it didn't work with.

33. David-Williamson

David-Williamson

I'm creating some custom tools for my project and I was wondering if it's possible to get Handles to snap when ProGrids is on?

If I have something like -
    Code (csharp):
    2. void OnSceneGUI ()
    3. {
    4.     Path t = (Path) target;
    5.     t.node = Handles.PositionHandle (t.node, Quaternion.identity);
    6. }
    Can I get the PositionHandle to snap to ProGrids?

34. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I have the latest ProGrids 2 and Probuilder in the current free build of Unity. Whenever I select Several polygons and Shift Move them to extrude a hallway it makes odd triangles out of several polys. But if I turn ProGrids off and do it , it looks fine. Any Ideas on what is happening???

35. karl_

karl_

Yes, you can check if ProGrids is enabled via pg_Editor.SnapEnabled() and get the snapping value with pg_Editor.SnapValue(). From there just apply the rounding manually - pg_Util.SnapValue(value, snapValue)

Sounds like the Snap Value is set too high. Try decreasing the snap value resolution. Also check that in Preference / ProGrids "Snap on Selected Axes" is selected.

36. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

So I should set it to Centimeters in the Preferences? It is on the default "Meters" Currently.

37. karl_

karl_

Sure, that would work. Alternatively just set the snap value (the float field at the top of the ProGrids toolbar) to a smaller increment (I usually work with .25).

38. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

It's working Great Now! Thanks :)

karl_ likes this.
  39. f1ac

f1ac

I've noticed Unity snap to grid functionality works only when moving an existing object, and it is not literally snapping, but moving in 'grid size' increments. Thus the questions about the plugin:
    1. Do objects dragged from assets to scene view immediately snap to grid?
    1a. If they do, is it shown when left mouse button is released, or is snap position updated continuously while still holding LMB?
    2. If I have an unaligned object in a scene, will it automatically align to grid when I start dragging it (not just move in grid size increments)?

40. karl_

karl_

I don't believe prefabs dragged from the Project view snap immediately, but once in the scene they're snapped on any movement (even while dragging).

Yes, it snaps to a global grid and not just increments.

41. SHiLLySiT

SHiLLySiT

Does this support isometric grids?

42. DigvijayTiwary

DigvijayTiwary

I'm using ProGrids 2.2.6f with unity 5.3.7 the angle snapping is not working at all. Also progrids won't work after unity restart. I have to click on Tools - Progirds - close and open again for it to work.. is there any fix for this ?

43. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi! Sorry, we don't always get notifications here! To answer your question: "Isometric Grid" is basically a grid turned 45 degrees, right? Or is there more to it than that?

If you are building a game meant to be viewed through an isometric camera, ProGrids will work fine. But I might be misunderstanding, sorry!

44. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi! We try to keep all bug reports on the official Support Forum at "www.procore3d.com/forum", best if you could post there in the future- sorry for the inconvenience here!

About your issues though, Angle Snapping is not actually a feature of ProGrids (currently), though we do have an option to show an "Angle Guide", which might be what you are mistaking?

About the close-and-open issue, I'll look into that, thanks for the info!

45. FLYUPAV

FLYUPAV

How to use ProGrids to generate Grids during Runtime Mode or game mode? For example A same window as scene view appears during runtime generating the same grids as game view?

46. karl_

karl_

ProGrids is an editor extension, it does not have a runtime component.

47. recon0303

recon0303

can anyone compare pros and cons with this tool and Snazzy Grid 2?? I have used Snazzy Grids 2 for a few years, but no updates which is a con for me.

So wondering if it worth it for me to invest into Pro Grids I just want to see if anyone has used both and can post , Pros and Cons . Thanks.!

48. romit99

romit99

I have a question, does this also work with 2.5D / isometric images drawn on photoshop? or does it work only with 3d models / meshes?

49. karl_

karl_

ProGrids works in isometric scene views, yes.

50. Testeria

Testeria

1. Would it be useful for 2d game?
    2. Does it have distribute option (select 20 prefabs and distribute on, say, 5x5 grid)? Or do I have to put all the objects manually on the grid?