Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ProGrids 2: Grids + Snapping for Unity, now with 3D Grid!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, May 14, 2014.

1. yahodahan

yahodahan

5 star rating with nearly 200 reviews on the Asset Store- wow! Thanks for the support everyone, we sincerely hope you enjoy this new version, and look forward to your feedback!

ProGrids 2: Essential Grids + Snapping for Unity

Purchase | Website | Video | NEW: ProCore Bundle

[video=youtube_share;_BLArJ63_QU]http://youtu.be/_BLArJ63_QU

Grids and snapping are standard features for 3D tools, and ProGrids brings these fundamental, essential features to Unity. By giving you both a visual and functional grid, which snaps on all 3 axis, ProGrids enables speed, precision, and quality in your level’s construction.

In our continuing quest to make ALL the ProCore tools better than ever, ProGrids 2 is a complete re-build of the original tool, now including the following features:

NEW: Sleeker, cleaner UI
    NEW: Full 3D Grid for Perspective view
    NEW: Planar X, Y, and Z Grids for Perspective view
    NEW: Keyboard shortcuts
    Industry-standard Orthographic Grid views
    Customizable Preferences (Grid colors, opacity, etc)
    Angle Guidelines

ProGrids default unit type is Meters (recommended), though you may choose between:

Meters
    Centimeters
    Millimeters
    Yards
    Feet
    Inches
    Parsecs

With ProGrids turned ON, objects that you move in the editor will always snap exactly to the grid. You can change the size of the grid at any time, simply by typing a value in the Grid Size field. You will also see a visual grid in all views, including Perspective now. You can instantly change grid size, constrain snapping to certain axis, and quickly toggle the grid snaps or visuals on/off.

These simple features make level construction incredibly fast, easy, and precise. It is especially handy for modular or tile-based environments in Unity, but you will find it significantly speeds up workflow and increases quality for all types of work.

2. yahodahan

yahodahan

3. Archania

Archania

Looks awesome. Can't wait to get the whole package. Looks like a great improvement too.

4. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Great!
    I hope that also ProBuilder will adopt this new compact and stylish UI.

5. yuewahchan

yuewahchan

It ProGrid 2 support runtime grid snapping and object intersect check ?

6. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks! The full bundle is now online at "http://u3d.as/6GS"

Yep, we'll be updating the entire UI to be much more compact and dynamic as well.

Hmm, it wasn't built with that in mind, but I believe it could be easily modified to do so. I can't say for sure though, sorry.

7. r2digi

r2digi

do you guys have a more variable guidelines system? similar to photoshop or flash maybe?

8. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Would love to see the feature added or a sister product added that would allow us to use this functionality in game for modular housing systems/guild castles/etc. I've just started looking for some type of snap to grid type resource that could be used for something like that and ran across ProGrids (which I already had purchased after seeing you guys mentioned in 3DForge's village interiors asset.

9. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

So there's no angle snapping? It'd be nice to be able to snap rotations the same way as movement. Any chance that could be added in the future?

10. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

A quick question I figured I could post here as well.
    It's not a hughe issue but something I've noticed after finally installing it again after quite some time without level editing:
    Is it possible to realign ProGrids (and maybe also ProBuilder) from vertical to horizontal toolset layout?

11. karl_

karl_

It is - if you don't mind getting into the code just a little bit.

In pg_Editor.cs, move this line (it's the first thing after `void OnSceneGUI`)

Code (csharp):
    2.         if(EditorApplication.isPlayingOrWillChangePlaymode) return;    // don't snap stuff in play mode
    to right after this line

Code (csharp):
    2.         if(!snapEnabled || GUIUtility.hotControl < 1)
    3.             return;
    5.         // pasted line from above
    6.         if(EditorApplication.isPlayingOrWillChangePlaymode) return;    // allows grid rendering but not snapping

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    the_motionblur likes this.
  12. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Cool - thanks. I'll check it out later. :)

13. karl_

karl_

No problem - feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any issues.

14. neab

neab

Hey! so far I really like it. I haven't figured out how to make my assets the same size as the grid (or vice versa). Any thoughts?

15. yahodahan

yahodahan

Not sure I fully understand, sorry? The default grid size is 1 meter, but you can change that to literally anything else at all. Even use different units (feet, inches, kilometers, etc). :)

16. daville

daville

----------- Edit
    Ok forget it, I found the preferences on Unity's Preferences :p

I had to see the Editor code and there I saw

[PreferenceItem("ProGrids")]

So I found it..

------------ Original
    Hey There, I can't Find the Customizable Preferences, I want to change the opacity of the grid... how do you change that.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  17. yahodahan

yahodahan

18. Meceka

Meceka

Isn't there an option to move the grid itself? It just has to be in game worlds 0.0.0 point plus the grid size value. In my project I already made all my scenes without progrid, and now I want to allign them with progrids and remove small gaps and imperfections. It's Urban construction pack and it has everything scaled to times of 3.5 . But I didn't put them on grid first place. Which means their positions are something like 4.5 , 8 , 11.5. Their spacing is still 3.5 but they arent alligned to center of main grid.
    I am asking for an option to (probably a button to) snap progrids grid to selected objects center, and also being able to move it would help just like being able to rotate it. Right now you can move grid object, but it can't be at position of 4.5 while grid size is 3.5.

19. Wavinator

Wavinator

I'd love to see a way to rotate the grid as well. I have corridors that are narrow and long. They snap together perfectly on one axis, but not another. Because of this, unless I'm missing something Progrids looks to really only work with square assets.

It would be great to specify a separate X, Y, and Z interval for the grid as well.

Gekigengar and Meceka like this.
  20. yahodahan

yahodahan

I'm not quite sure what you mean Meceka, sorry. However, you can move the grid visual, yes, using the bracket keys [ and ] . I don't think it will be in the way you need though.

The core of ProGrids is that it is a "world" grid, meaning it is always rooted to the world origin, and that never changes. This is very important for a grid system, because it ensures that all your objects, will always be properly "on the grid", no guessing and no uncertainty.

That said, I do see the potential for a "local grid" option that could be aligned to, and originate from, an object's position and rotation. Adding that to my list, thanks!

21. yahodahan

yahodahan

Rotating and custom grids will be coming in future updates, definitely.

However, about the "only square objects", you might be misunderstanding how Grids are meant to work in a 3D tool. You don't actually want the grid size (x/y/z) to exactly match all the dimensions of your object- because that would mean your grid would only ever work for that one, exactly sized, object.

Instead, the grid should be used like "grid paper" that you draw on. Say you have 3 objects, and they are all different sizes, but they all are multiples of 5 (5, 10, 15, 20, etc). If you set your grid size to "5", then all those objects will snap perfectly to the grid and to each other. Or, maybe it's multiples of 1/2, or 10, or powers of 2, etc.

Basically, find the common denominator for your objects' sizes and use that. Everything will happily snap together just right :)

22. Meceka

Meceka

Local grid is the thing I need, thanks.

mwituni likes this.
  23. Meceka

Meceka

Is there a progress about local grids? I am still waiting for this feature.

mwituni and hopeful like this.
  24. contempt

contempt

ProGrids 2 menu is not showing up in Unity 5 b15. I know ProBuilder works with Unity 5, any chance ProGrids 2 works with Unity 5 as well? Thanks,

25. yahodahan

yahodahan

Nothing new yet, sorry- busy on some urgent ProBuilder work, for now.

Could you register and create a post on the official support forum at "www.procore3d.com/forum"? Thanks!

26. contempt

contempt

I figured out the issue. There were a few files that were in Shared that were duplicating instead of overwriting when ProBuilder and ProGrids are installed where a "1" was appended to the name. Once I deleted those it worked. Thanks.

27. yahodahan

yahodahan

Ah, good to know it was a simple fix. Thanks for replying :)

28. sszukala

sszukala

Cool, looks like a good program.

29. ProGrids still not working with Unity 5 (beta rc1), any news?

30. karl_

karl_

What's not working for you? The only issue I'm aware of is a namespace conflict with ProBuilder caused by the package import changes to duplicate files. You can fix that by deleting the 'pc_AboutWindow 1.cs` file.

31. When I open the ProGrids window everything freezes :/

32. karl_

karl_

Are there any errors in the console? What OS are you running? What platform is your build targeting?

33. Nothing in the console, I'm on OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 and targeting pc and mac

34. David-Williamson

David-Williamson

I have the same issue. Unity freezes with no errors as soon as I open the ProGrids window. I'm using Unity 5 RC2 on OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5

35. DCrosby

DCrosby

Is there a possibility with pro grids to snap to other objects, like when I want a light to snap to the pivot of a bulb mesh, that may or may not be on Grid, yet the light fixture is ??

36. yahodahan

yahodahan

Still having issues with the latest version and non-beta Unity 5? Send us an email if so, thanks!

You can hold the "V" key to do this, using Unity's "snap-to-object" feature. ProGrids only snaps to the grid itself though.

37. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi there,

I am currently building a modular dungeon and i have different level ex; first floor, second floor etc so i would like to know if progrid can let me have additional grids to snap my second floor level on it etc.?

I know i could use the ortho view but i found it more convenient to do it in the perspective view.

I can also do it in my 3d package and make prefab build on second floor and correctly naming them but if your asset can help me doing in unity then that would be a win win for me.

Regards Peter

38. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi- actually, you don't need multiple grids, just the one :) The "grid" is everywhere at once- not just where it is visually shown, and doesn't matter if you are in the ortho or perspective views.

I hope that answers your question? Just start building the second floor- ProGrids will automatically show the grid at the center of whatever you have selected :)

39. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi Yaho,

Well that sound great so i will give it a try late this week.

Regards peter

40. yahodahan

yahodahan

Great, let me know how it goes! :)
    gw

41. Rirath

Rirath

The changes are probably old news by now, but I've been putting off getting ProGrids to go along with ProBuilder for awhile now, and just noticed that planar grids and 3D grid were added. A welcomed surprised that made it easy to buy in. Thanks for all the improvements, guys.

karl_ likes this.
  42. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks Rirath, glad that has made the tool fully useful to you!

43. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

I seem to be having an issue when running a Unity 5.1.0b4 scene with the current version of ProGrids. It displays the error "Some objects were not cleaned up when closing the scene. (Did you spawn new GameObjects from OnDestroy?)". Three empty "New Game Object" objects are then created in my world at 0,0,0.

Is there an easy solution to this issue?

44. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Arismeir,

Are you able to replicate the issue in a brand new project, with only ProGrids? Also, what OS are you running? Thanks for the info!

45. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@yahodahan:

Partially. The moment I open the ProGrids window in a new project, three empty GameObjects are created. When it close it, two of them are deleted. It doesn't display the aforementioned errors, though.

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise (version 6.3.9600).

Of course. Thank you for the support!
    - S.

46. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@yahodahan: Any luck tracing down the issue? Is there anything I can do to assist?

47. karl_

karl_

Turns out the latest Unity 5.1 betas are shipping with DEBUG globally defined (at least in the Editor assemblies). ProGrids has some debugging code wrapped in `#ifdef DEBUG` that is now incorrectly being exposed. I've removed these blocks, fixing the issue.

48. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@karl_: That's fantastic! I look forward to the update, then!

49. BetaMark

BetaMark

Hey Guys! New Pro-grids (and proCore) user with a crazy problem happening in grids. The little control window pops up when I go to tools -> progrids I get the following mostly blank tool (see attached screenshot). I'm looking at your screenshots above and it looks like I'm missing a lot of stuff. What did I do wrong? I tried to click on tools-Progrids->about to get version of progrids, but that doesn't open up anything either. Suggestions?

Attached Files:

50. karl_

karl_

This is usually caused by an incomplete or partial install. Try deleting the ProGrids folder and reimporting.