Search Unity

ProGrid: Snapping not syncing with Ctrl+mouseDrag

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Siegvar, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Siegvar

Siegvar

As per the title, unity's Ctrl+mouseDrag snapping is not syncing with ProGrid's snap value, and defaults to a snapping value of 0.5(which is weird in itself).

Turning on the snap-by-default option on progrids does work, but constantly clicking on that toggle button is really cumbersome in the long run.

Anyone else experiencing this? Is it a known bug? I'm on 2018.1.1f1 with ProGrids 3.0.2 preview.

My other projects on other version of Unity's editors seem to work fine (5.6.something, 2018.2 beta preview)

LezTusi likes this.
  2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Ctrl-drag isn't actually snapping, it just moves by an amount (that's Unity thing, set via "Edit > Snap Settings). So, an object at 1.361 will move 1m, to 2.361, if the Unity "snap" size is 1.

ProGrids, however, will snap to the nearest multiple of the ProGrids snap size- 1.361 will snap to 1, then 2, then 3.

Sorry, I know that's even more confusing now that we are part of Unity, and I promise we're working towards having a single unified system :)

Regarding a method of turning on/off snapping more easily: yes, we'll get this implemented also, it's a bit clunky.

Thanks for the feedback, hope this helps!

3. LezTusi

LezTusi

Is there any way to get the same behavior like on 2.x versions?

I'm staying on the 2.x version since last year because of the same problem I'm having on 3.x.

The unity snap is actually syncing with progrids 2.x from the assetstore
    like when progrids is at .125m, the unity snap (ctrl) moves with .125m

but on 3.x, it doesn't sync with the progrid snap size (.125m).
    the unity snap (ctrl) stays and only moves at 1m

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Can I ask what version of Unity you are using? We've actually implemented most the features of ProGrids directly into the editor for 19.3, and fully with 20.1, if you are able to upgrade.

5. LezTusi

LezTusi

oh... I'm using 2018.4.12 and tested on ProGrids 3.03

upload_2019-11-21_17-5-32.png

unfortunately, I'm still having trouble upgrading my projects to 2019 versions.
    Really glad to know that ProGrids is now a part of the editor tho :)

6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Ah ok. We do have a backlog of bugs for ProGrids, sorry for the trouble, but they are lower priority as we move toward making the native grids fully replace ProGrids (which it does, in 2020.1a15). Maybe I or others can help with your upgrade process? Have you made a post with the issues? :)