Search Unity

Official Progressive GPU Lightmapper preview

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by KEngelstoft, Sep 26, 2018.

1. sstrong

sstrong

@KEngelstoft I'm not a lighting guy but I'm super impressed with the work Unity have done on the Progressive GPU lightmapper. I have a demo scene that was taking 12+ hours to bake on 1 CPU i7-8700 (U201830f2) with Prog CPU lightmapper. Now with U201910b8 and Prog GPU on same workstation (GTX 1070 GPU), it take around 15 minutes. That's around 50X performance improvement. Nice.

I've trying to get a softer AO effect for some models in my scene using the Progressive GPU lightmapper. However, I'm not sure what I should be doing with Max Distance and Indirect Contribution to achieve that. The two images are with and without any AO as can be seen in the settings. I'd like to get somewhere in between (I think).

With AO
    ProgGPU_with_ao.png

Without AO
    ProgGPU_without_ao.png

EDIT: The images seems a little dark after uploading. It is more obvious in the Unity Editor.

Also, I'm sometimes seeing the following error (although not always).

Code (CSharp):
    1. [PathTracer] InitializeLightmapData job with hash: 922d943a0bc935b9f9076e697f013e56 failed with exit code 2.
    Any ideas why this is occurring and how to "fix" or avoid it? There seems to be a drop in GPU memory usage from 7.6 out of 8GB to 6.4GB when this happens. I'm assuming it is a kernel method in a Compute Shader failing or similar (but that's just a guess on my part).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    fguinier likes this.
  2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Indirect contribution is the "intensity" of the effect (so if you want something in between, take the value from 0.5 to 0.25).

Distance is how much it "spreads" (well not exactly but that's the end result roughly)

3. fguinier

fguinier

Unity Technologies

This mean that the job responsible to allocate memory for the given lightmap was not able to allocate system memory. What is the memory usage when this happens?

Florent

4. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the kind words.
    It will be much easier to see the AO in the Baked Lightmap scene view mode.
    Note that AO *Max Distance* is in world space units, so if your building is 10 units each, 20 is needed if two buildings are to fully affect each other. Your setting of 0.2 will give you very local AO effects.

5. sstrong

sstrong

Yes, I was going for a very localised effect - large bricks or blocks in walls of a stone building. I achieved the result I was looking for with the smaller values. Thanks for your response.

6. sstrong

sstrong

I believe there was still around 3-4 GB of available system memory (16GB total on Win10Pro), however GPU memory was pushing the limits (around 7.5 of 8GB dedicated on a GTX 1070). Is the method allocating system memory or GPU memory when it fails? Another possibility is that there is not a big enough contiguous block of system memory. Maybe after running GPU lightmapper many times (with some failures), memory becomes fragmented and doesn't get cleaned up correctly.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  7. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

The error you saw is related to system memory. When there is less than 10% available memory left the job will not try to allocate more and will fail. The job will keep retrying which is why you might see many identical errors. This is not specific to the GPU lightmapper, the CPU lightmapper uses the same code path. Try closing all the other applications to increase available memory.

sstrong likes this.
  8. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Good news everyone! A major optimization has just landed in 2019.2.0a11, improving sampling performance a lot, especially when using view prioritization enabled or with lightmaps with a % of occupied texels:
    gdc.png
    Memory usage is still higher than we would like, so we will work on reducing this in a future release.

dadude123, sstrong, spryx and 4 others like this.
  9. sstrong

sstrong

You could have told me that 3 days ago. :) Hey, I was impressed with the "old" performance in 2019.1.0b8. It literally saved me days of work on a demo video.

fguinier likes this.
  10. dadude123

dadude123

Great work!
    That version is not available in the hub yet, is it?
    Any idea when it will be available?

11. fguinier

fguinier

Unity Technologies

I'm very happy to read that! :) Enjoy :)

Well 3 days ago it was not in the version, it was actually planned for 19.3 but some magic happened :)

sstrong likes this.
  12. Chaiker

Chaiker

Hello, which gpu will be great to speed up baking and higher sizes of light map atlas? Radeon VII 16 GB or 2080ti 11 GB? Could you give advice?

13. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Go for the 16GB Radeon VII. Both cards are really fast but large lightmaps will not fit on the 11GB card. Keep in mind we will reduce memory footprint in a future version.

Chaiker likes this.
  14. cmorait

cmorait

I hope you do it fast as if you are using other tools like octane a cuda based GPU is far more useful.

15. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@KEngelstoft Not sure if this is related to HDRP or not but Terrain lightmap baked using GPU Lightmapper are broken, while using CPU lightmapper it worked just fine
    PGLM CPU
    upload_2019-4-11_15-31-19.png

PGLM GPU
    upload_2019-4-11_15-33-50.png

16. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

We have not seen this artifact before, would you mind filing a bug report so we can investigate and fix it? Thanks!

17. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

I'll try to create a repro project

Edit:

@KEngelstoft Umm after updating my driver today i cannot reproduce the issue anymore, in legacy pipeline and HDRP

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  18. ovrdb

ovrdb

This is great news!
    Tried to get gpu lightmapping going with my Radeon Vega 56 egpu on macOS but no luck. The lightmapper always selects the internal Radeon 560 and I can't get it to use the egpu through the command line parameter.

This is how I start Unity 2019.1.0f1 (didn't work on 2019.2 alpha either):
    ./Unity -OpenCL-PlatformAndDeviceIndices 0 3 -projectPath [...]
    also tried this:
    ./Unity -force-device-index 2 -OpenCL-PlatformAndDeviceIndices 0 3 -projectPath [...]

This is the OpenCL part from the Editor Log:

-- Listing OpenCL platforms(s) --
    * OpenCL platform 0
    PROFILE = FULL_PROFILE
    VERSION = OpenCL 1.2 (Feb 22 2019 20:16:07)
    NAME = Apple
    VENDOR = Apple
    EXTENSIONS = cl_APPLE_SetMemObjectDestructor cl_APPLE_ContextLoggingFunctions cl_APPLE_clut cl_APPLE_query_kernel_names cl_APPLE_gl_sharing cl_khr_gl_event
    -- Listing OpenCL device(s) --
    * OpenCL platform 0, device 0
    DEVICE_TYPE = 2
    DEVICE_NAME = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7820HQ CPU @ 2.90GHz
    DEVICE_VENDOR = Intel
    DEVICE_VERSION = OpenCL 1.2
    DRIVER_VERSION = 1.1
    DEVICE_MAX_COMPUTE_UNITS = 8
    DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY = 2900
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_CONSTANT_BUFFER_SIZE = 65536
    CL_DEVICE_HOST_UNIFIED_MEMORY = true
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE = 4294967296
    DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE = 17179869184
    DEVICE_EXTENSIONS = cl_APPLE_SetMemObjectDestructor cl_APPLE_ContextLoggingFunctions cl_APPLE_clut cl_APPLE_query_kernel_names cl_APPLE_gl_sharing cl_khr_gl_event cl_khr_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_int64_base_atomics cl_khr_int64_extended_atomics cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_APPLE_fp64_basic_ops cl_APPLE_fixed_alpha_channel_orders cl_APPLE_biased_fixed_point_image_formats cl_APPLE_command_queue_priority
    * OpenCL platform 0, device 1
    DEVICE_TYPE = 4
    DEVICE_NAME = Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
    DEVICE_VENDOR = Intel Inc.
    DRIVER_VERSION = 1.2(Mar 11 2019 21:25:40)
    DEVICE_MAX_COMPUTE_UNITS = 24
    DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY = 1100
    CL_DEVICE_HOST_UNIFIED_MEMORY = true
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE = 402653184
    DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE = 1610612736
    DEVICE_EXTENSIONS = cl_APPLE_SetMemObjectDestructor cl_APPLE_ContextLoggingFunctions cl_APPLE_clut cl_APPLE_query_kernel_names cl_APPLE_gl_sharing cl_khr_gl_event cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_khr_gl_depth_images cl_khr_depth_images cl_khr_3d_image_writes
    OpenCL GPU device Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 from Intel Inc. has less than 2 GB of global memory, ignoring device for lightmapping.

(Filename: ./Editor/Src/GI/Progressive/RadeonRays/RadeonRaysContextManager.cpp Line: 196)

* OpenCL platform 0, device 2
    DEVICE_TYPE = 4
    DEVICE_NAME = AMD Radeon Pro 560 Compute Engine
    DEVICE_VENDOR = AMD
    DRIVER_VERSION = 1.2 (Mar 11 2019 21:14:43)
    DEVICE_MAX_COMPUTE_UNITS = 16
    DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY = 300
    CL_DEVICE_HOST_UNIFIED_MEMORY = false
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE = 1073741824
    DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE = 4294967296
    DEVICE_EXTENSIONS = cl_APPLE_SetMemObjectDestructor cl_APPLE_ContextLoggingFunctions cl_APPLE_clut cl_APPLE_query_kernel_names cl_APPLE_gl_sharing cl_khr_gl_event cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_khr_depth_images cl_APPLE_command_queue_priority cl_APPLE_command_queue_select_compute_units cl_khr_fp64
    * OpenCL platform 0, device 3
    DEVICE_TYPE = 4
    DEVICE_NAME = AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 Compute Engine
    DEVICE_VENDOR = AMD
    DRIVER_VERSION = 1.2 (Mar 11 2019 21:14:50)
    DEVICE_MAX_COMPUTE_UNITS = 56
    DEVICE_MAX_CLOCK_FREQUENCY = 800
    CL_DEVICE_HOST_UNIFIED_MEMORY = false
    CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE = 2143289344
    DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE = 8573157376
    DEVICE_EXTENSIONS = cl_APPLE_SetMemObjectDestructor cl_APPLE_ContextLoggingFunctions cl_APPLE_clut cl_APPLE_query_kernel_names cl_APPLE_gl_sharing cl_khr_gl_event cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_khr_depth_images cl_APPLE_command_queue_priority cl_APPLE_command_queue_select_compute_units cl_khr_fp64
    -- GPU Progressive lightmapper will use OpenCL device 'AMD Radeon Pro 560 Compute Engine' from 'AMD'--
    use -OpenCL-PlatformAndDeviceIndices <platformIdx> <deviceIdx> or -OpenCL-ForceCPU as command line arguments if you want to select a specific adapter for OpenCL

19. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

If you can get the editor to render using the Vega56 eGPU, the lightmapper should be able to use it too. The device is already listed in the log so it should be possible. Are you sure you are passing the correct index to -force-device-index?

20. Total3D

Total3D

Dear Unity Team, let me say thank you for this great tool!
    I'm coming from the traditional offline 3d archviz rendering world.
    Currently I'm working on a floorplan image. GI render times are totally awsome! But in some corner areas there are not enough light.
    I'd like to ask, that is it possible to set more bounces than 4?
    screen_01_bake_time_12s.jpg

21. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't believe it is. What is the use case for more than 4?

I also have a background in archviz and I generally consider 4 to be "enough".

22. Total3D

Total3D

Green areas are well lit, but red ones receives few indirect light:
    screen_02_lit_areas.jpg

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  23. Total3D

Total3D

Another example:
    screen_4_bounce.jpg

The back corner of the room is far from the window and it's covered by a wall. Needs more indirect light.

24. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Can you show the Baked lightmap scene view for that last image?

25. Total3D

Total3D

Shaded:
    screen_4bounce_shaded.jpg

Baked:
    screen_4bounce_baked.jpg

Photo reference:
    screen_4bounce_photo_reference.jpg

AcidArrow likes this.
  26. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

27. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You can increase indirect intensity in any pipeline.

28. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

after it was baked?

29. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Ah, no, I meant from lighting panel that you can adjust before or during baking.

(also, I can do and after baking in the legacy pipeline, but I specifically wrote a shader for that :) )

30. Total3D

Total3D

Increasing Indirect Intensity gives unnatural result, previously well lit areas become overexposed.

Indirect intensity 2:
    screen_4bounce_indirect_int_2.jpg

The most ideal would be to use much weaker area light at the window with more (~8-10) indirect bounce.

31. Stardog

Stardog

I don't know exactly, but I think progressive lightmapper is a simple path tracer, so it will have these issues with darkness, no matter how many bounces you use. I think Enlighten has a more advanced light transport so should give better results, but obviously not GPU enabled. Maybe progressive has been updated since then, but I don't think so.

32. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the kind words :) It is not that much work to make the lightmapper code support a higher number of bounces but I think your problem might be light falloff. Your HDR environment lighting is still using the legacy light falloff because you are using the legacy render pipeline. If you use HDRP the light falloff will default to the physically correct inverse squared falloff.
    I have added your suggestion about more bounces to our backlog.

33. McDev02

McDev02

Is this ready for big scenes yet? I was testing it on the ArcViz 6 Scene. and got this warning:
    OpenCL Error. Falling back to CPU lightmapper. Error callback from context: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_WRITE_BUFFER on GeForce GTX TITAN X (Device 0).

Testing it on a simple scene (with even higher settings) worked fine, within the same project.

34. fguinier

fguinier

Unity Technologies

We still have major work do to in regard to memory usage. Until then you can try to lower the total size of the lightmap and maybe to deactivate view prioritisation.

When the GPU lightmapper fallback to the CPU you will get a detailed log about used GPU memory in editor.log.

McDev02 likes this.
  35. Rich_A

Rich_A

Looking forward to H2 2019, in terms of GPU selection, is it advisable to have a 8GB or 11GB GPU, or is 6GB enough?

Specifically, I'm looking to buy three new computers for a small team later this year, target spec of a 1660ti allows us to do everything, but should I have one dedicated GPU lightmapper machine with eg. 2080ti?

36. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

I recommend the highest amount GPU of memory for the lightmapping machine that you can afford. 2080ti only has 11GB so it will run out of memory on 4K maps. If it has be Nvidia get the Titan RTX with 24GB. The AMD Radeon VII with 16GB is a much cheaper alternative.
    We are hoping to address the high memory usage in 2020.x but no firm ETA yet.

Rich_A likes this.
  37. fguinier

fguinier

Unity Technologies

Short story:
    At the moment memory usage is high on larger lightmap size, It all depend on your content but to be on the safe side I would recommend 11GB or even 16GB. 8GB is reached quite fast on larger scene.

We have memory optimisation on the roadmap but no ETA yet.

Long story:
    How much you exactly need is hard to know in advance but let's try to detail it
    - You need to consider the memory for the lightmap themselves, this depend on the size of the baked lightmaps (In 19.2 1k LM +/-= 550MBs, 2k +/-= 2100MBs), Knowing that in view prioritisation mode you can have many of them loaded at the same time.
    - Also light probe group baking take memory (560Mbs)
    - Baked scene GPU representation (usually below 2GBs but scale with scale complexity).

but also:
    - Regular Unity editor rendering VRAM (could go to many GBs on some larger scene)
    - other system/software VRAM usage

As an example here are some stats on Unity 19.2 for a VR project:
    2K lightmap = 2.1GBs
    Probe group = 560MBs
    Bake scene representation = 990MBs
    Regular/Rasterized scene representation = 1.4GBs

So you would need a minimum of 1.4+0.99+0.56+2.1 = 5GB to bake it with 2k lightmaps. However 8GB VRAM is probably a safer bet to account for other software and let some space for view prioritization. As you can see this goes fast and on larger project it is easy to reach 11GB or more.

Hope it helps!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  38. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

To remove the GPU memory used by regular Unity editor rendering from the equation, consider using a second GPU just for the lightmapper, in your case you can still use a 1660ti for the editor and a second GPU (Radeon VII or another high GPU memory card) for the lightmapper. See the first post in this thread or the manual for how to set this up https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/GPUProgressiveLightmapper.html

Rich_A likes this.
  39. Rich_A

Rich_A

Thanks for the responses. I'm working on strategy games where 512 resolution CPU lightmapper has been sufficient to date - I'll get one PC with 8GB of VRAM (probably AMD Navi which helps test game compatibility those devices anyway).

40. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

41. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Currently running 2019.1 but I’ve experience this on 2018.3. I assume it’s all indirect lighting causing it, but I’m getting a lot of “blotching” on surfaces and lighting looking worse than it does when unbaked. I assume this is something to do with the lack of one of the filtering stages...

We also have some coloured lights in one scene and indirect lighting from them seems to be putting spots on very, very far away walls that you generally wouldn’t expect them to have, and it’s all very spotty and not smoothed out at all.

Do I just need to use much higher sample rates to compensate for some of the filtering or something?

I’ll grab some screenshots later

42. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

You need to enable one of the Denoisers. In 2019.1 you can only use the Optix Denoiser and only for the CPU Lightmapper. 2019.2 however you get the Open Image Denoiser and the Optix Denoiser that works with the GPU lightmapper.

43. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

I'm unfortunately not brave enough to use 2019.2 in production just yet. No way to use the Optix denoiser CPU stage with a GPU bake I assume?

Though, I never have this issue with the CPU baker, and Optix was only just introduced?

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  44. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

45. fguinier

fguinier

Unity Technologies

Lars-Steenhoff, KEngelstoft and Mauri like this.
  46. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Just to add to my previous post, here's a shot of the kind of errors I'm getting. I've never seen these issues on the CPU baker before, so honestly have no idea why I'm getting them here. Unfortunately these scenes sometimes command upwards of 40 hours for a CPU bake when using 16/100/100 direct/indirect/enviro samples which is pretty low in itself. So I really want to get the GPU baker working.

upload_2019-5-23_10-28-20.png

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  47. fguinier

fguinier

Unity Technologies

Could it be on mesh with multiple submeshs? If so support for that come with Unity 2019.3 on the GPU lightmapper.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  48. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Not that I'm aware of. It's actually fine if I kill all indirect lighting as much as possible (i.e. turn Bounces to 0 and Indirect to 8). Then it bakes a fairly decent looking scene. But without that, it looks pretty awful. Of course, then I'm lacking direct lighting.

49. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Would it be possible for you to try this on the latest 2019.3 alpha (https://unity3d.com/unity/alpha/2019.3.0a2) If it still fails please extract the problematic part of the scene and share it with us in the form of a bug report. It is very hard to see what is going on in your scene from just a screenshot.

50. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Sure, I'll give it a go when I've got a spare minute. Extracting that part of the scene would prove difficult though, this is a rather big project. I'll see what I can do.

KEngelstoft and fguinier like this.