Search Unity

Official Progressive GPU Lightmapper preview

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by KEngelstoft, Sep 26, 2018.

1. newguy123

newguy123

When's the 2023.2 alpha out then?

2. Shizola

Shizola

It was released today.

3. Peter54

Peter54

I tested it with
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...sets-for-pc-mobile-industrial-set-v3-0-101429
    The only change was from Enlighten to GPU Progressive. The setting was 4096 on lightmap size. Since the graphics card only has 4GB, the lightmapper switched to the CPU. I canceled by pressing cancel and changed the max size to 1024 and GPU. The bake failed despite this and passed to the CPU. Everything works if I restart Unity.
    Tested with 2019.4.30 and 2021.3.21.

4. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Please use 2023.2 where the GPU lightmapper is out of preview. Since 2023.1 Unity provides a "Baking Profile". This can be found in the Lighting window when using the GPU backend in on-demand mode, and offers users a tradeoff between performance and GPU memory usage when baking lightmaps.

5. dizzy2003

dizzy2003

Using Unity 2023.2.5f1
    We only bake probe volumes

should I worry about this error OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory in BLAS buffer (stack at end) It goes on to complete but as far as I can tell non of the baked light probes are providing any global illumination, the render debugger global illumination shows as a grey world

When I select a light probe in a scene it says the Probe has never been baked or has changed since the last bake

Strangely I get the same error selecting CPU lightmapper

With GPU I also get

OpenCL Error. Error callback from context: CL_OUT_OF_HOST_MEMORY error executing clFlush on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (Device 0).

and

Light baking failed with error code 3 ('BakeJobInitializeLightmapData' failed because it ran out of memory.).

We do have a about 20 scenes covering about 3km x 3km with about 24 terrain objects and a lot of dressing..

OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory in BLAS buffer
    UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.ComputeRayTracingAccelStruct.AllocateBlas (System.Int32 allocationNodeCount) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.rendering.light-transport@1.0.0/Runtime/UnifiedRayTracing/Compute/ComputeRayTracingAccelStruct.cs:370)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.ComputeRayTracingAccelStruct.AllocateBlas (UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.GeometryPoolHandle geometryHandle, UnityEngine.Mesh mesh, System.Int32 submeshIndex, UnityEngine.Rendering.RadeonRays.MeshBuildInfo& buildInfo, UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.BlockAllocator+Allocation& blasAllocation) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.rendering.light-transport@1.0.0/Runtime/UnifiedRayTracing/Compute/ComputeRayTracingAccelStruct.cs:212)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.ComputeRayTracingAccelStruct.GetOrAllocateMeshBlas (UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.GeometryPoolHandle geometryHandle, UnityEngine.Mesh mesh, System.Int32 subMeshIndex) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.rendering.light-transport@1.0.0/Runtime/UnifiedRayTracing/Compute/ComputeRayTracingAccelStruct.cs:181)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.ComputeRayTracingAccelStruct.AddInstance (UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.MeshInstanceDesc meshInstance) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.rendering.light-transport@1.0.0/Runtime/UnifiedRayTracing/Compute/ComputeRayTracingAccelStruct.cs:61)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.TerrainAccelStructExtensions.AddHeightmap (UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.IRayTracingAccelStruct accelStruct, UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.TerrainDesc terrainInstance, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[System.Int32]& instanceHandles) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.rendering.light-transport@1.0.0/Runtime/UnifiedRayTracing/Common/TerrainAccelStructExtensions.cs:51)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.TerrainAccelStructExtensions.AddTerrain (UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.IRayTracingAccelStruct accelStruct, UnityEngine.Rendering.UnifiedRayTracing.TerrainDesc terrainInstance) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.rendering.light-transport@1.0.0/Runtime/UnifiedRayTracing/Common/TerrainAccelStructExtensions.cs:34)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.ProbeGIBaking.BuildAccelerationStructure (System.Nullable`1[T] contribs, System.Int32 mask) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@16.0.5/Editor/Lighting/ProbeVolume/ProbeGIBaking.VirtualOffset.cs:50)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.ProbeGIBaking.ApplyVirtualOffsets (System.Nullable`1[T] contributors, UnityEngine.Vector3[] positions, UnityEngine.Vector3[]& offsets) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@16.0.5/Editor/Lighting/ProbeVolume/ProbeGIBaking.VirtualOffset.cs:113)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.ProbeGIBaking.ApplySubdivisionResults (UnityEngine.Rendering.ProbeSubdivisionResult results, System.Nullable`1[T] contributors, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 refToWS, UnityEngine.Vector3[]& positions) (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@16.0.5/Editor/Lighting/ProbeVolume/ProbeGIBaking.cs:2308)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.ProbeGIBaking.RunPlacement () (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@16.0.5/Editor/Lighting/ProbeVolume/ProbeGIBaking.cs:2113)
    UnityEngine.Rendering.ProbeGIBaking.OnBakeStarted () (at ./Library/PackageCache/com.un

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  6. Shizola

Shizola

7. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

Looks like texel validity artifacts to me. Might be fixed by enabling double sided GI or fiddling with the backface tolerance. Given what the author wrote, I assume the scene has a bunch of exposed backfaces.

Shizola likes this.
  8. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

I think @peam-malling is right. You can use the validity debug view to locate the objects with exposed backfaces and assign a material with double sided GI enabled on them. That should fix this.