Search Unity

Official Progressive CPU Lightmapper

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Kuba, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

Right now the filtering/denoising is part of the lightmapping compositor. And we do not aim to make it generally available. The reason for this is that it uses a lot of inputs, not just an image. In order to do what it does it uses a deep gbuffer generated by the lightmapper and generalizing this for an API is not straightforward and is not currently on the roadmap.

buttmatrix likes this.
  2. danix

danix

Jagged shadows with the new Progressive Lightmapper - Unity 2017.3, Shadowmask mode is set to Shadowmask. Enlighten(2017.2) vs Progressive(2017.3) (image_1, image_2). How can I make them soft like Enlighten?

ELMS.JPG PLMS.JPG

I've played around with Filtering - Direct Filter, if its set to max, the shadows are softer, but not accurate, if its set to min, the shadows are more accurate but jagged (image_3, image_4). Any advice?

PLMF5.JPG PLMF0.JPG

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  3. Kellios11

Kellios11

Hi Jesper,

You replied this comment to me back in the beginning of April this year in regards to deprecating Directional Specular, and while I tried utilizing your advise here (and in previous comments as well), unfortunately we're finding that having a realtime light JUST for specular highlight purposes is not a viable solution, especially on performance. I understand that directional specular in previous releases was also expensive, hard to manage, and had lots of artifacts, but at least it processed all baked lighting into just one draw call and without additional shaded passes. The additional cost incurred with the new system isn't worth it for our purposes, and it's really frustrating losing visual quality that we had previously in 5.4 and before. Mixed lights don't solve this problem. Reflection probes aren't enough. And SSR is deferred only - not an option for forward rendering VR.

I have seen other posts also struggling with VR and Directional Specular being deprecated, but absolutely no response or indication of what's coming down the pipeline for VR. Is there still a plan for cheaper alternative specular? I don't see anything on the Unity roadmap to indicate this. None of the new lighting modes provide the same visual quality we had before in 5.4, and all the new lighting modes incur a bigger cost once a realtime light is added. This just isn't an option for many VR developers.

What are we in VR to do? Feeling very left behind by Unity here.

Thanks for your time.

Ostwind likes this.
  4. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

That looks somewhat wrong, we'll look into it.

5. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

When you say reflection probes is not enough what do you mean? Quality wise or performance? Can we see an example of what you are trying to achieve so we can suggest the best way forward?

6. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

I've always assumed that Unity Technologies developers were aware of the feature set inside other prominent game engines (e.g. UE4, CryEngine, Source, Godot, etc.) and used that knowledge to keep Unity competitive with respect to the larger ecosystem(?) UE4 has an excellent lightmapping solution (Lightmass) that resolves the GI equation using photon mapping, resulting in bakes that contain very detailed lighting. Currently, the best solution to achieve accurate reflections for a statically lit scene in Unity is to use a combination of reflection probes, SSR, and mixed lighting - this is not entirely cumbersome, but much more complicated than simply dragging a reflection capture actor into a scene and baking out a lightmap. This is not meant to be snarky, or a dig at Unity, but there is a reason why professional archviz projects are developed in UE4: it's not because of the shader model, or auto-LOD's, or UV stitching, or w/e - it's because of the lightmapping options and the level of fidelity that can be achieved. I feel like Unity has just recently met parity with Lightmass by way of the Progressive Lightmapper, but reflections are still an issue.

This is a WIP hallway for a VR project using PLM with several box projected reflection probes (forward, MSAA, HDR; no SSR). The scene is lit entirely with area lights and realtime emissive materials to produce ground reflections. Although the following comment is unrelated to what I've posted above, I cannot determine why the reflections fade as the camera completes it's trajectory(?) I would assume that if a reflection probe were present - and it is - then reflections should also be present. Instead, you can see the walls and ground become completely flat.

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

(we're getting slightly off-topic, but doesn't Unreal more or less use a similar system for reflections? (by which I mean, reflection probes + SSR))

8. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

Right, I have no interest in commenting on Unreal beyond what I've already mentioned, but yes, Unreal does use reflection capture actors (box or sphere) and SSR; same as Unity. Scenes often look just fine without SSR, sometimes better due to temporal dithering artifacts. Again, my comment was not meant to be inflammatory despite its tone, and I do not mean to instigate another UE4 vs. Unity tangent.

EDIT: I thought it was important to note in light of the Directional Specular comments above, which are obviously related to lightmapping.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I just wanted some clarification. So let's leave unreal out of this.

What is missing from Unity's reflection systems? I think probes+SSR generally works quite well (of course it has limitations inherent to the methods, but that's the methods) and is generally a quite popular method with other engines as well.

By the way, I saw your video. I'm not 100% sure I understand the issue, but my best guess is that you'd like to see the doors at the end get reflected as well as the camera gets closer to end of the hallway?

I think it's because the reflection probe is quite stretched, and I'm guessing the center of it is somewhere near the middle, so the probe doesn't really see those doors that well. Plus since it's stretched, there isn't enough resolution either (since the middle is pretty far from the end of the corridor).

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

11. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thank you for showing this, very excited about the GPU lightmapper!

buttmatrix likes this.
  12. Onigiri

Onigiri

I think its just because of freshnel effect.

13. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

While the techniques may be similar, the implementation is clearly different, leading to visually distinct outcomes.

Regarding the reflections, I would've assumed the same, but actually the hallway is lined with a series of adjacent box projected reflection probes that are all regular in shape (cuboid). I'm not actually looking for a solution here, merely pointing out a non-obvious issue that arises for me.

14. danix

danix

Did you check, what's wrong with the PLM. I've updated to 2017.3.0p1, but its the same.

15. castor76

castor76

Very interesting! Where can I follow this up ? Any threads?

16. DominoOne

DominoOne

When could we expect Skinned Mesh Renderers to be supported for baking? A few months ago I was assured that 2017.2 or 2017.3 would support them, but I've just updated to 2017.3, and it doesn't :)

17. djarcas

djarcas

Uh, I'm sure you would, but I paid a minor fortune for several users for Unity 5.x - are you telling me, with this post, that 5.6 is being abandoned with a half-finished progressive light mapper?

JamesArndt likes this.
  18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

latest stable can also mean 5.6 latest patch.

19. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is baking light cookies coming at some point? I don't see it on the roadmap.

WermHat and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  20. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

baking light cookies should be standard for a lightmapper.

StenCG likes this.
  21. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

@Jesper-Mortensen Is there a development roadmap for the GPU accelerated PLM that we can follow?

22. Kuba

Kuba

Hey @danix,
    to improve the quality of the shadows while keeping the details (accuracy) you can generally increase the "Anti-aliasing Samples" option in Lightmap Parameters. You can assign a new Lightmap Parameters asset just to the surfaces receiving shadows where you care about increased quality or set it for the entire scene, but please note that this increases the memory usage of the lightmapper during the bake (but of course doesn't affect the runtime).

Since this value translates to a supersampling multiplier in the lightmapper, only values 1, 4 and 16 give distinct results (1x, 2x and 4x supersampling respectively), the other ones simply clamp to one of those.

I can see in your screenshots that you've used the value 16 already, but currently there is a regression in hashing Lightmap Parameters, so to make sure you see the results of your changes you will unfortunately need to save your scene, open a new scene (CTRL+N) and then switch back to your original scene. This issue has been fixed and the fix will land in all the affected versions.

Also please note that currently to match Enlighten's default "Blur Radius" of 2 (from Lightmap Parameters) in the Progressive Lightmapper you'd need to set the "Direct Filter" to Gaussian with Radius of 1 in compositing settings in the Lighting window.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    danix and Onigiri like this.
  23. danix

danix

Hey,
    Thanks for your advice and help. Waiting for the next updates and fixes!

kubacupisz likes this.
  24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

@Kuba in the video for radeon reys PLM, it goes black between each change which is quite distracting and disturbing to view so I would suggest:
    • not clearing existing texture
    • consider loading it by smallest mip first if possible
    To reduce visual disruption, which I find really unsettling to look at, iteratively.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  25. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes I also found the black frame on refresh distracting, but i was so excited to see the GPU lightmapper in action that i did not want to say anything about it
    Would be good if its smooth like in other interactive lightmappers

26. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

Yes it is part of the IES support that we are planning to do this year.

27. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

As above it is part of the IES support that we are planning to do this year.

28. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

We are currently deliberating what features we should backport to 5.x. The point is that backporting these quite large feature changes means potentially destabilizing a product used by a lot of developers in production in a patch release. On the other hand it also means that we delay other feature work on the lightmapper in the later releases.

Is it mostly light modes support that you need or something else?

29. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

Yes, we will get to it. We currently have some other critical features in the pipeline, but this one is near the top if the list.

30. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

So the black frame can totally be removed. We also did most of the demo with filtering disabled such that you could better see the actual resolution and the speed of convergence easily. With filtering enabled it is harder to see that something is happening. At around 0:58 in the video we enable filtering (
    ). In the video we wanted to convey the speed improvements to the path tracing mostly, in the finished feature it should be much more smooth.

Adam-Bailey and hippocoder like this.
  31. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

We don't really have a public sub feature roadmap in place. We have https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap but it is really at a very coarse granularity.

32. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Will multiple GPU's be supported? ( at the same time )

33. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

Yes we do aim to support that.

34. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Love it, all my concerns - vanished. Great work you and the team, thank you :) So when do we get our new tools?

35. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

When they are ready ;-) We have a lot of features to implement still to make it on par with Progressive Lightmapper. We would hope to have some kind of preview version out this year.

hippocoder likes this.
  36. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

how about releasing the version from the video right now on github so we don't need to wait a year to start experimenting with it?

:)

sanmn19 and hippocoder like this.
  37. djarcas

djarcas

Ok... so DOES it mean 5.6?

38. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

We are working on backporting lightmodes to a 5.6 patch.

39. adpok

adpok

Hi,

Q1. For large scenes / environments etc, will we still need to split up geo to speed up the baking, as required with enlighten?

Q2. Are there any improvements with the UV placements with lightbaking? i.e will it pack them more efficiently?

thanks

40. DominoOne

DominoOne

A couple of my personal findings :)

Q1. The Progressive Lightmapper deals with large objects perfectly, no issues there.

Q2. Not sure about placement, but I noticed that the unwrapper creates UV seams where they shouldn't be. E. g. in the import settings I set the hard angle to be ~80 degrees, but it still creates a UV seam at some places with, say, 45 degree edges (where a UV seam is actually not necessary at all). I had to export some models with secondary UVs just to eliminate that.

There is, however, an option to fix the seams (the lightmapper then attemps to smooth out the pixel values on the "broken" seams), but that doesn't fully help with lower resolution lightmaps. And on one of the models it actually introduced very strange artifacts in shadowed areas – super saturated random colors around the seams.

41. rmalecki

rmalecki

Baking terrain tree shadows still seems to be extremely erratic with 2017.3. Since Enlighten just ignores terrain trees, you have to use the new PLM if you want trees to cast shadows.

First of all, it seems that you have to limit the number of trees to 10,000 for PLM to work at all.
    Second, I found out through trial-and-error that for tree shadows to work, I had to mark the tree prefabs "lightmap static" (even though they get instanced / billboarded by the terrain system), and then set their scale in lightmap to 0:
    tree_lightmap.PNG

Now, can anyone explain this behaviour?
    This is the resulting terrain lightmap. Huge square dark areas -- it looks like the PLM just stops at some point, without further subdividing.
    terrain_lightmap.png
    Changing the shadow mask mode, or the number of samples, bounces, filtering, etc. does not change anything. Neither does using directional vs. non-directional lightmaps.

42. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

Q1. There should be no need to split geometry with Progressive Lightmapper as the indirect lighting is using the same textures space as direct lighting.

Q2. UV unwrap and packing is the same as with Enlighten. We are looking into this currently. We do want to improve texture utilization.

43. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

Currently you do need to use `Lightmap Static` for trees to influence the terrain (in this case cast shadows). It only works in Progressive Lightmapper. In order to efficiently bake the trees, its best to set scale in lightmap to zero for the trees. This works only partially as it also reduces the albedo/emission textures that are used while baking, so light reflected by the tree will have low fidelity.

This is all being fixed in the 2018 cycle where we are investing in good tree rendering. Progressive Lightmapper will get better controls to determine which objects are lightmapped, or not lightmapped but affecting other lightmaps. On top of that we are adding volumes for baking sky occlusion which is great for trees and foliage (https://twitter.com/pigselated/status/940610990210736128). We are also adding some memory optimizations to enable working with many trees without blowing the memory budget while baking.

buttmatrix likes this.
  44. djarcas

djarcas

I've been waiting for working mixed-mode support since about... Feb 2015 I think?

45. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

We introduced mixed-mode for Enlighten 31st March 2017 with the release of 5.6.0. We are backporting support for Progressive Lightmapper now and we are sorry for the delay. It will be the last feature that we intend to backport to 5.6. We will of course continue backporting bug fixes when applicable.

46. danix

danix

Hello,

Unity 2017.3.0p2, PLM shadows are still not accurate and jagged, Anti-aliasing Samples not working. Saving the scene and creating new one and switching back to the original one doesn't fix the regression in hashing Lightmap Parameters. It was mentioned above, that the bug is fixed, is the fix not included in the new 2017.3.0p2 version?

Thanks!

Capture.JPG

47. PatrikD

PatrikD

Hey,

I was adding some lightprobes and did a re-bake and I get these errors everytime I bake the scene
    upload_2018-1-15_16-35-59.png

I'm on 2017.2.0p4
    Can't really see anything wrong with the baking in general, should I be worried?

48. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Will this cover use-cases like textured emissive surfaces? I often get into situations where I waste a lot of texels on emissive materials, not because I want detailed lightmapping on them, but because I want certain details on the textures to be taken account for lightmapping (for example an emissive material with a grid texture, if the texels are not enough, lines from the grid will be lost).

Ideally I should be able to set how they are represented when lightmapping and how they are actually lightmapped separately.

49. adpok

adpok

Thanks for reply..

But because the unwrapping doesnt recognise UV spaces inside objects (such as an oval racetrack) it wont pack anything into that space, so to avoid large wastage of UV space its still best to split certain types of geo. Is that correct? And if so is that something the improvements with take into account?

50. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Or you could make your own uv channels that don’t have holes in them.

adpok likes this.