Search Unity

Discussion Progression Systems and Dice

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by MisterKidX, Dec 1, 2022.

1. MisterKidX

MisterKidX

TL:DR
    I'm looking for creative references for a new game I'm working on and would love to start a discussion.

Hi world weavers! I've recently reduced the number of hours invested in clients to serve the most brutal one I've had so far - meself.

I'm in a lovely design process for a new Dungeon Crawler with a progression system for upgrading dice - the leading hook. The game is based on a Table Top RPG I created when I was young and went through some lovely sessions back in the day. The digitization of the project has an interesting methodology, and I'm not being merciful on the original design, I'm doing everything in my power to make it fun for the virtual world.

If you can't fathom how the core progression mechanic works, think about a classic RPG progression system combined with deck building - only everything is applied to player dice. The other systems in the game utilize the upgraded dice to support the core gameplay loop.

I would love to discuss references for games (of any platform or genre) that do something exceptional with dice and progression; or on a general note, do something extraordinary with random and progression.

P.S.
    This is my first post here as far as I can remember, although I've been using Unity for years now. Hope I didn't break any community laws.

2. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I’ll just throw this out there, I was going to do some thing for the GMTK game jam involving dice that had some great results but I was unable to work on the project for very long.

Basically, I was using dice has experience.

The idea being a character has x amount of slots for each stat.

Different races have different amounts of slots, so an orc has eight slots for strength, two slots for intelligence, and five slots for everything else.

As you play you collect dice as XP.

You get 10 dice, and you “level up”.

You do so by rolling all 10 dice and filling out the slots with them.

But here is the twist, if a dice lands on top of a dice The top numbers of both are added together. If three dice laying on top of each other, all three are added together. Theoretically, you could roll all 10 dice on one another for 60.

And here is the second twist, the enemies you kill, drop different dice.

The dice could be weighted, making it land on 6 more. It could be large, making it more likely to stack. It could even be fuzzy, making it dampen bounces making it more likely for all the dice to stack. And, of course, it could be all three.

I did some played testing with the rolling and the numbers came out great.

I’m not sure if you would want that idea straight up, or maybe apply it to a different mechanic you have, but have at it. I had a lot of fun messing with it.