Search Unity

Progress?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by CyRaid, Oct 9, 2015.

1. CyRaid

CyRaid

Hi linux devs! There hasn't been any word it seems for a while, hoping Unity didn't just stop working on the Linux edition! I'm using it to build a Game, and I think a lot of others are too! Hoping there will be more bug fixes and updates soon! :)

Miscellaneous, jwinn, Cygon4 and 3 others like this.
  2. hipnotickid_12

hipnotickid_12

Agreed. I hope they plan to push another build out.

Miscellaneous likes this.
  3. ma1onso

ma1onso

4. Cygon4

Cygon4

Hope she'll get around to it.

All the basic things are already working so well, just a small number of showstoppers left :)

5. senis_kenis

senis_kenis

Good to know that things are moving forward, but Linux editor is still very sluggish when working with large projects ( >5gb). Waiting for that speed improvements )

6. Tak

Tak

Integrating the changes from 5.2 has been painful as expected, but also in some additional unexpected ways.

We're still working toward having a shippable build soon™

7. CyRaid

CyRaid

Thanks for the update Tak!

8. Sabun

Sabun

Looking forward to it! Thank you for the hard work on the Linux build :)

9. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Thanks Tak, sounds awesome!

10. z3ntu

z3ntu

I really want 5.2 for the new Tanks! project/tutorial by Unity on Youtube... :/

11. MrWhoof

MrWhoof

We all appreciate all the hard work you guys are putting in.

jwinn likes this.
  12. Keyjin

Keyjin

Awesome! Keep up the AWESOME work :)!

13. jwinn

jwinn

Thanks for the update @Tak . I'm looking forward to getting the latest Unity version up and running. I recently made the switch to Linux (Elementary OS) on my brand new ThinkPad, and Unity is running quite well—it starts up fast! I'm glad to now be able to do most of my work without booting into Windows.

Now if someone could only convince Adobe to port Photoshop to Linux...Gimp still feels so alien.

14. CyRaid

CyRaid

@jwinn, Gimp is outdated.. The new thing is "Krita". It's a very very well made 'Photoshop' style program, and gets updated fairly often as I've seen. :)

Miscellaneous and jwinn like this.
  15. jacobgmartin

jacobgmartin

So far my experience has been pretty darn good with the Linux Editor. There are some bugs of course, but things aren't too bad actually.

Thanks so much for your work on it!

Y'all are really close, so don't hesitate to update the beta sooner rather than later. :)

16. AZeroEight

AZeroEight

Is there a time estimation as to when the next build will arrive? It is itching in my fingers ;)

Miscellaneous and jacobgmartin like this.
  17. NathanWarden

NathanWarden

Agreed, Krita is a very nice professional grade program with some essential texturing features that Photoshop doesn't even have but should have had years ago. Namely, wrap around mode.

18. CyRaid

CyRaid

Wrap Mode is a HUGE feature, that should have been in Photoshop ages ago (as people have requested).. It's as simple as pressing "w", and seeing it tiled, and painting anywhere and you can see how it repeats.. So nice!

Miscellaneous, jwinn and NathanWarden like this.
  19. jwinn

jwinn

Thank you! This is so much better.

20. t_w

t_w

Cool, wait tor the 5.2's new features.

21. arcooke

arcooke

I really hope it's coming soon.. I'm finding the linux version to be incredibly unstable, crashing constantly from the simplest of things. Just went in to test something, nothing in the scene but a plane and a capsule with a character controller, and it crashed twice, erasing all objects from my scene.

22. Chaoseiro

Chaoseiro

Are you using the latest available build?
    At least for me, it is really usable, with just some interface hiccups that were already reported.
    The biggest problem for me is the 100% CPU usage, which I hope gets fixed in the next build :)

23. Cygon4

Cygon4

It's been rock solid for me. Worked 4 weeks on all kinds and sizes of scenes, not a single crash.

Maybe there's a mismatching library or something else causing trouble with a background process in Unity. The editor log may be able to tell you more.

24. CyRaid

CyRaid

Nah, just depends on what you do.. I've opened the inspector on the same item 3/4 times in a row, then selecting a drop down a few times in it, and it made it crash.. But if I don't do that, it won't. Most of the time the frustrations are opening a script, then it errors in monodevelop, close monodevelop, open script again, 2nd time it's random if it works or not, if it doesn't it will always then work on the 3rd time. Also trying to do 'build' when on an NTFS drive? Because there are always 'hung' shader workers, they have file locks on the drive, so a 'fusehidden' files will stay until I kill those processes, relaunch Unity, then I can build. :)

25. jacobgmartin

jacobgmartin

I just want to echo what Cygon4 said.

I've had good luck, but I am using some bleeding edge packages from Gentoo.

There are a few bugs (e.g. the idle CPU usage is annoying -- what exactly is it doing anyway?), but in general everything has worked quite well and I've been able to build and test across a variety of platforms in a solid way.

IMO, the last build was of an unexpectedly high quality. I'm dying for the next version for 5.2 support, but I guess I'm happy to wait until they are ready if it means I'll be more productive and less focused on Unity bugs and more focused on my own bugs. I don't mind testing new versions for them though and don't expect things to work properly. (hint hint at Tak and Natosha :) )

The bottom line is that this project of Unity on Linux is looking good and is going to be a game changer for the company. In addition to all the new developers they'll gain, I'm sure its development in Linux will ultimately reverberate to make the Unity3d software better in other platforms as well.

26. CyRaid

CyRaid

Well said Jacob, I too share the same glee for Unity on Linux. I much prefer it over Unreal Engine, as it shares many of the same API style I had in my Game Engine (apart from multiple timelines) which automatically slowed everything that was attached to it (like 3D audio, movement, etc.) and timed events which you could rewind time.. The downside is I didn't want to switch to Windows everytime I wanted to work on my Game, then switch back to Ubuntu for everything else.