Search Unity

Progress on my Demon And Hell game, In pictures - -- Please comment ! !

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by jbb1979, Aug 14, 2019.

1. jbb1979

jbb1979

Here's a video of my game - -

I did a Input.GetAxis(), and used that to apply a AddForce Function, to a Sphere after adding a Rigidbody, so it would react, to forces ( ?) - - I hope you like it, you need to have a facebook account to watch videos, on Facebook - -

Here's the demon, the wings are not Added yet, it's Just a sprite, For fun

Demon Fin.png

I have learnt I can use Input.GetAxisRaw to get Integer values on Movement inputs, and I plan to use that, but, I Also need a Monk model - - He should be around 5000 verts and, I'm thinking of adding cloth simulation, to his Cloak, on the legs and, may-be arms - - I found a video that explained it, But it's complex - -

I can't wait, I'm so happy, today I will watch more tutorials, I will try to watch More Official Unity tutorials but, also a few other ones and, maybe Make an Idle animation, for my demon, Ideally I want 3 - 4, so they switch between them, that way, since each has own time - length, the animations will end up being random and, no Demon will just do, what the others do, the Time - randomization will make it look more Natural - -

I also want to add a skeleton to my Demon and, start posing it, I Hope - -

I need a good tutorial that helps me put the player better in game, Hope-fully an Official Unity tutorial, so I learn code From the best, In World - -

I think it could be nice with 3 - 4 idle animations and, then have them randomly pick one, each time they finish an animation, each with slightly different time, one maybe 200 frames, another 160, one 175 - - that way, when they cycle randomly, it looks more natural - - I would also like them to do various things, like some-times go drink some water or, walk to another place and, look around there, so they act more naturally, that's what I want - -

So, to-day I have tasks, also make new poses, so the Demons look More natural, in game and, maybe create some simple key-frame animations, using skeletal animations - -

I am some-what scared of not doing Things the Right way, so Uhm any advice would be appreciated, I'm Very new, To games - -§

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. kdgalla

kdgalla

jbb1979 likes this.
  3. kdgalla

kdgalla

One pretty obvious thing that I overlooked is that you are not modeling your character in a bind-pose, which will probably make it more difficult to rig your model. Blenders automatic weights probably won't work as well.

jbb1979 likes this.
  4. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you, I'm mostly interested in 3D modelling but, I will learn to use Unity code - -

I'm mostly happy with my demon but, I wish I could make better head retopology but, I Can paint textures on it, and It will look good enough, in my Diablo style game - - I'm going to buy a Logitech PC game-pad and, try to make my game support game-pads, it should be as simple as using Input.GetAxisRaw() to get the values from the joy-pad and, then I can Debug.Log() the values and, open the Command console to see what it actually does, when I have a good under-standing of how the Controller works, I will sit down and, Make an over-view of what I want my Player - char to move like . .

I've found a great example when I checked Unity's documentation, about Input.GetAxis() where they Use a Transform.Location(Vector 3) and, use it on the player GameObject, so the Input value is used, in a ' Transform ' function, on the player World- space coordinates - -

Right now, I'm trying to figure out what animations I want the character to have, during a Diablo style Stealth - game .. It's super - cool And, fun . . I get to create the Controller scheme, in my game, from the very beginning, It's created many options and, Opportunities - -

5. kdgalla

kdgalla

The bind pose and rigging have nothing to do with Unity code. If you are planning on rigging the model then you'd need to do that in Blender too.

jbb1979 likes this.
  6. jbb1979

jbb1979

Okay, I followed a Quick tutorial, rigged the entire demon, now I can pose hands > >
    Pose 78923452.jpg

Pose 808023233.jpg

I'm not good at it but, the demon is finally ready, I know how to make the character move using Input.GetAxisRaw() now, I must wait for the Logitech Controller, so I can start making a Good Controller - input Lay-out, for a Diablo Style Stealth -horror game - - Thank you for your help @kdgalla, also, it's difficult to see but, I've added black claws and, I'm very proud, of my Progress - -

The next three task are, make an idle animation, put the demon in the game and, finish the Script, to control player but, I'm waiting for the Game-pad, since I hope to develop a game that can also sold on a console - - Besides, I Prefer gamepads, after many years with PS4 . .

7. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you for replying, thank you - -

Uhmm, what is a bind pose ? I just followed a tutorial and, hit some buttons, do I need to do more ?

Again, thanks . .

8. kdgalla

kdgalla

I'm actually having trouble finding a good article about it. Here's a basic one:
    http://peyman-mass.blogspot.com/2013/09/what-is-binding-pose-in-character.html

3D modelers always create characters in the same pose (A-pose or T-pose). You'll see this pose over and over again on websites about character modeling. Not only is it easier to rig, but also it's helpful for animation. Vertices tend to stretch as they get further from their initial orientation, so it's best if a character's limbs start out around the center of their range of motion.

It looks like you already have a rig that generally works, though.

jbb1979 likes this.
  9. jbb1979

jbb1979

Okay, the bind pose is the ' Original stance ', I Think - -

It's either a ' A ' With arms 45 degrees down side or, ' T ' Pose, arms out, to the side, I believe - -

I have seen those and, looking back they would have been better, my demon has thick legs, from straining but, standing up, they would be less ' taut ' - - I also managed to set some key-frames and, got a basic animation - -

Tomorrow, I'll make the idle stance and, a walk anim - -

I'll try to put them in the game and, give them simple behavior - - Every 30 - 40 seconds, walk to a Random place, on the NavMesh, that's 10 - 20 meters away - -

Whew, I'm tired - -$

face re 6.jpg
    face reg 7647e3567.jpg

face ret67577564.jpg

I want to make better face topology but, I'm stuck - -

But, right now I just need to focus on getting good idle and, walk animations and, implementing them

I know I need edge loops and, a ' Raccoon ' mask style topology, from articles - -

I'll focus on the next useful step and, Try that

Attached Files:

10. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Yup thats correct, the bind pose is the pose it starts in when you bind the skin to the bones (mesh to bones).

And yes you are correct it is usually a A or a T.

Some prefer A and some prefer T. Each has benefits and drawbacks.

I suggest trying the same model in both an A and a T and see what works better for animation

Progress is looking good, well done.

jbb1979 likes this.
  11. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you, I added a easy key-frame animation, yester-day . . I'm going to make an idle animation so, they look more natural and, then I want May-be a walk animation - -

12. jbb1979

jbb1979

So, I put my demon in a sort of Normal pose and, You're right, It's not good - -

pose 03- 67235 2gfewrg234.jpg

I can see now the arms are too long and, the legs are too fat it just looked good in my first attempt - -

I researched Blender and found out I can also see time-line, in Animations, in seconds, so now that's much more intuitive, I hope if I make an animation, it will play the same regardless of frame-rate, so it's not jittery - -

Thank you for your advice, I can see I need to put more work in-to my model but, on a plus side, I've found out to add a plane behind the demon and, add Alpha - channel to wings, so it looks nice, with simple wings for, Early tests . ..

I hope with my new model, which I own since, I Made it, I can perhaps faster make other characters by reusing the model and, changing it more quickly, I also want to make angels, to Oppose the demons, In hell - -

I've watched a video about the Unity engine ' Timeline ' And, Brackeys made a Super - good one about the feature, it's nice - -

I've been thinking about how to get the rich animation, I Will try using my phone, to record me walking and, have some-one holding it and, walking besides me, Recording it

The Demon looked funny in the game, it was because I made it wrong, From the beginning - -

I have a dumb question, I know the vertices shouldn't go over 5000 - 8000 for a ' cannon- fodder ' enemy and, important characters should not go over 10000 - 12000, with main characters not over 15000, at most 18000 - -

But, what texture resolution is recommended to-day, I mean is 1024x1024 the norm, for a character, I wonder because I could make it a lot better, with 2048x2048 but, I don't know if that's unrealistic, in a game - -

I will try Googling it and, I hope some- one will help, I'm stuck

13. jbb1979

jbb1979

So, I decided my Demon was good enough for initial testing so, I added it and, threw on a plane with a transparent Raven wing texture --

I was rolling around with my ball, trying to get into Hell but, the Demons were blocking so, I could not get in and, Fix things
    12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Pose 78252456.jpg

The game's about a monk who goes to Hell, on a Mission, from God - -§

14. jbb1979

jbb1979

So, I'm super - happy about my progress today, I will study how to make a prefab, so I don't have to re-scale them every time and, make a ordinary demon, the arch - demon and, Satan him - self - --

I hope to make many good games with Unity but, this is my first game and, my first level - -

To do list :

a. make them turn towards and, chase the player

b. make rocks, so Hell looks more like Caves And, stone - -

c. add an idle and, a walk animation --

I would really like to be able to start building the levels, with a set of good, dark stone assets but, I've found this and, I will try to make some, like this -->
    Rock 8924.png

Thank you, Unity - -

<3 <3 §

A video - -

I'm so Proud, I Could jump - -

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  15. jbb1979

jbb1979

Two big things :

Next month I'm buying a Huion 22 Inch 2019 Kamvas Pro ( the 2019 Edition has 8 ms response over, 25 ms response time ) . ..

SECOND !

I had an idea, I took some 1x1 m planes, in Blender, I subdivided it and, added a Quixel Rock texture - --

Then I take these into the Game engine, as 1m x 1m blocks And, Can start making Primitive levels ! !!

I've build some walls in my level and, added BoxCollider component, I tried Rigidbody But, they Fell through the Floor - -

Pla 89235256.jpg

Next, I'm buying a little PC Game-pad, probably this - --

logit78235235.jpg

Then, I will make a Monk player character And, he must sneak through the Hall-ways of Hell, to Make an account, To Impress the world - - It's inspired by the book the ' Divine Comedy', written in 14th Century by an Italian called Dante Alighieri, and it's Been used as Inspiration for Devil may cry Games, both ' Dante ' And, ' Vergil ' Are important Characters, from that Old book . .. $

In the book, Dante goes to Hell and Meets many famous Sinners, both Historical And, contemporary - -

I Would like to Make about Former War -criminal President Anders Fogh but, I Don't know If this is Too political - - He Invaded Iraq With George Bush, a Million people Died, In The sand - -- $ $ I Want my Monk to Go to Hell And, Meet him There but, With Many other Famous sinners - - Dante Also took Contemporary Figures And, put 14th Century People in He, During The book - - But, it's a Rather ' Delicate' problem, And Must be Done well - -

Maybe Kim Jong-Il Could be There, Too - - Where They beat Him until He admits He Didn't Invent the hamburger - - Like They say, in North Korea, He did

It's Going to Be fun And, Amusing - -

I'm developing it on my new computer so, Taking screen-shots is Tough - -

I Want to Learn to Better manipulate the ' Wall - planes ', So Each Piece of Wall Looks More different And, No Place Looks So much The same - -

Please Help - --

The idea is, after I make a 1x1 m plane, I divide it into smaller piece and, pull them in, or just out, it's easy - -

The result is more realistic rock walls, in Hell and, the result is nice and, I can start making the levels and, maybe focus on enemies - - I know I should be better at modelling but, this is very adequate for a beginner And, novice - -

I don't know how to make the corner but, I will try, it would look nicer with round corners, I think - - § Any Help be appreciated And, Welcome - --
    wra 242534253.png

wra a09232.png

I Keep an Art diary where I make, the Meme pictures when I feel inspired, I Just google Stuff And, Add text - - It's a great way To start Collecting Concept art - -

16. jbb1979

jbb1979

Okay, so I've written a first draft, to the story that Begins my game and, I have a First example, of a simple stage, with a simple corridor and, some Demons lining it - -

Stage is Set 97824.png

rep 34545.jpg

The Idea is to do a Diablo-style Stealth-horror Game, where One sees Hell And, it's Architecture - -§ §

So, there will be demons And, torture And, The Monk will meet Big sinners and, Hear Their story, To Warn the world Not to End up, In their shoes - -$

I Know this won't be for every-one But, I Hope to make a Great description, of Hell and, what Takes place there And, Create Eternal game-play, that Will Evoke sentiments - -

17. jbb1979

jbb1979

I Don't know if you know the game ' Dante's Inferno ', It was a Game many years ago, by EA Software . .. It was about a man who went to Hell, to Save his Wife, From the Fires - ---

I Want to Make a similar Game but, In a Diablo Horror-stealth Kind of game And, experience - - I'm writing the dialogue and, Planning my First levels - - Yesterday, I made some walls with Quixel textures And, made a rough, Modular beginning kit - - I am Also writing the Text And, Trying to Put it All together, I Hope it can be read and, perhaps under-stood - -

Justification - Sin of Lust.png

The Goal is to Create not an Action-game, like Dante's inferno - -
    dantes-inferno_28604.jpg

I want to take screenshots but, I'm typing on my old laptop, for inter-net, I make game on new, faster computer - -

I don't consider any of the text to be ' Truth ' Or, like that - - I Think it's interesting To talk about These things, Muse On them - - Hope-fully, the Game can create a Discussion And, People are Free to Decide them-selves, On Their opinions - -$ I'm also not particularly religious, I Just liked the game ' Dante's Inferno ' And, Have Read the Book, I Want to Create a Spin-off, a Sort of ' copy' - -- I Know the Dialogue is Bad But, I try to Capture the ' spirit' of the Book ' Dante's Inferno ' was based on, We Read it in High-school, Quite A bit - -

18. jbb1979

jbb1979

I've Written the Final Out-line of What the Monk Learns in Hell, About Marriage And, vice - -

Justification - Sin of Lust Final 02.png

Justification - Sin of Lust Final 05.png

19. jbb1979

jbb1979

I've just bought the Logitech F310 Game controller, and it arrives Next week, by then I'll have a simple Monk 3D Character ready And, I Will start Making the Controller inputs work - - I Look forward to Debugging it and, Getting into coding - -$ Because the joystick is contained within a circle, I hope to avoid Coding ' vector ' corrections For Off-direction Vector inputs - -
    logit78235235.jpg

20. jbb1979

jbb1979

So, the PC Game-pad arrived and, I fixed the problem, it had a slight drift, so in neutral position it gave value of, 0.01 instead, of 0.00 so, the player moved when not using pad . . I accidentally saw the ' dead ' value in Input settings, where you assign keys, had that and, read it and, that fixed it, I just had to enter a higher value than the drift value, I set it at 0.1 and, it works fine, no more accidental directional movement . .

The PC gamepad works very well, I just plug it in and, it controls the character . . I've created a place-holder Main character and, he is about to enter hell, I coded a simple transform.Translate and, transform.Rotate function, so up down moves him forward and, back-ward and, left-right rotates him . . It will be a stealth horror game and, the demons will hunt him and, kill him, in one blow, if they see him . . his only weapon is a Bible and, a small cross, of Jesus . . He's not even sure if he believes them to work, Either of Them . ..
    Caves 0144.jpg
    Caves 014244.jpg
    Caves 014242452.jpg

only his faith and, His Small crucifix Can save him - -§

Yesterday I made some modular wall pieces but, Today I made a rounded corner, so the game looks much nicer . . I Must Keep improving And, Meditating - -$ $

First I made some walls by putting 3 1 x 1 m planes together and, then bending them, a bit, first image after I had made that, I Spent a long time bending one of them between ' two corners ' and, Connecting them - -
    Walls 02.jpg

Walls 04.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  21. jbb1979

jbb1979

22. kdgalla

kdgalla

jbb1979 likes this.
  23. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thank you, I tried Timeline and, just added some key-frames - - I want to make some idle animations in Blender and, import them, where they stand and, move their feet, a bit - - like Guards - --§§ <3

I would really like the Demon's to stand rotating a bit and, have vision cones and, Start Chasing player - - That's, the Next step - -

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  24. jbb1979

jbb1979

Okay, because the last video was a bit small and, it got a bit complaint, I made a better one, with good zoom - -

My two big things I want to do are, an Intro cut-scene with camera sweeping over demon entrance first and, then return to player and, also add some images as text, made in Wordpad and, copied in Paint so, I can make some nice text to, set up the adventure and, Tell the Story - ->

Most of all, I want it to be survival-horror, because those are my best games, I love Dead space And, Resident Evil games - -

Here's the controller I bought, I just plug it in and, it worked immediately, I had to adjust a few things, it had a latent drift, so it wasn't really ' 0 ' in the normal position but, I found a button called ' dead ' zone, in Input Manager and, by increasing that so that all small values are set to ' 0 ' I got, it to work - -
    logit78235235.jpg

InputAxis.png

If you are making a game, that could also be moved to console, at some point, getting started with good PC Game-pad might make it easier to develop the entire game - -$

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  25. jbb1979

jbb1979

I got my Huion 22 Inch Pro Tablet today and, this is my first drawing - -

I hope to make many Concepts And, ideas on it, It's very intuitive And, Worth the money if you like drawing things before, Actually Making them, on Computers - -
    Nyt 346 3456.png

<3 <3 $

It feels super-good to draw with it and, it's just fun - - If you've been thinking of a way to get those ideas down into the computer, with-out much hassle, I recommend some-thing like this, I only write things down but, now I can make quick sketches, to capture the Perfect Sentiment - -

The Point is, Not only is it rather fun it, also helps get ideas and, things into the computer like if I have a screen cap, from the game, I can quickly draw on it, test color, drag place-holder textures in, and Be more productive - - it cost 600 pounds but, there are far cheaper ones, that are also good . . I'm Just so excited, Sorry If I babble - -

If you have ideas And, Pictures in your mind, but you can't make a full 3D Model, quickly Drawing it for later reference is a Great idea - -$

26. jbb1979

jbb1979

I Did some More drawings on my tablet, I Hope to Make the Art part Of the game And, Fun - -

2nd Drawing.png
    3rddrawing02.png

temp 902352.png

The Game will explore What Psychopathy And, sociopathy is, And Educated the player - -

27. jbb1979

jbb1979

28. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Coming along very nicely, keep up the work :) Glad your enjoying unity so much!

29. jbb1979

jbb1979

Thanks, I've Made some Super-heroes on My new tablet, I Might make it into a Computer character, in the game, in the Real world, when the Monk returns from Hell, He asks Super-heroes for help, To stop Satan - -§

Lais Ribeiro 9232688.png
    - -- .. $