Search Unity

Programming skills

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Stanley287, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Stanley287

Stanley287

Hey, everyone. Recently, I understood that I want to learn game developing, but I have no skills. To start with, I want to improve my computer science knowledge and learn a Python. Where did some of you learn those?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

You are aware Python can't be used with Unity, right?

3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Have you tried googling for "learn python"? Im sorry if it sounds like I am cutting you off, but literally that is how any of us learnt and there is a wealth of resources out there. I just googled it and literally 30+ decent websites came up.

But a word of advice, if unity is what you want to learn python wont help you as unity uses c# for scripting, so your better off learning c#. Theres no reason you cant start with learning c# rather than python first. You will learn computer science skills regardless of what language you learn.

There is a big learn button at the top of the page, that takes you to some great beginner tutorials in all areas including programming. Here are some quickly linked for you below:

https://learn.unity.com/course/beginner-scripting

Good luck!

4. Stanley287

Stanley287

Yes, I know, I just want to learn it for mysef

5. publiweb

publiweb

A good site to start learning python is w3schools, i highly recommend python if you are interested in Artificial Intelligence (Google TensorFlow), Web Development with Security in mind (Django), 3D stuff scripting (Maya, Blender) or Cross-platform desktop software development.

The usage of python in game industry is not even considered due to the lack of performance.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Literally first website when I search "learn python":

https://www.learnpython.org/

That even has a web based code editor for you to use.

Im guessing you didnt actually do any research at all and just came here to ask? Which is strange given that this is not a forum for python users at all.

Ryiah and Joe-Censored like this.
  7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Might get more specific advice than googling it on a forum with any connection to python use. If you're "Getting Started" with Unity, which is what this sub forum is for, then python is a waste of time.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.