Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Programming Errors and Files

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by TozerAuthor, Dec 25, 2016.

1. TozerAuthor

TozerAuthor

Hello all,

I am a newbie to Unity, although I've been programming in such languages like C++, C# and Python for nearly 15 years. I have a question that I am having troubles finding the answer to.

When you get a programming error in Unity, either C# or JS, does the error make your program larger due to a debug file being created into your project, or does this get created elsewhere and not affect your program. I am also talking about when the error is fixed and dealt with. So, does it increase or slow your project down?

It may seem like a dumb question, but as a lot of Unity is already pre-built, I am thinking that with any debug files it creates, it might slow your projects down.

Thank you for all your replies. And I hope everyone has had a splendid Christmas.

2. gorbit99

gorbit99

Most of the programs including unity does indeed log crashes and stuff like that, either by creating a log file and then rewriting it when a new crash pops up, or creating a bunch of different files, but I'm not sure, which one unity is. But in the worst scenario it's still text, 1 byte/character wont affect filesize, and a file wont slow down anything really

3. TozerAuthor

TozerAuthor

Hello gorbit99,

Thank you for your reply. I have done a Google search and discovered that Unity has a Output file, outside the project files, where it stores all the errors from a project. I am not sure if having errors, even if fixed, will slow a game down, but it is good to know that i won't increase the size.

Thank you :).

4. Baste

Baste

The editor.log file (which exists both for when running in the editor, in Appdata, and for builds in /Data) gets replaced every time you run the game. For the editor, the last one gets put in editor-prev, for the builds, it's gone forever. So it won't get very big, unless you run for a really long time.

For release builds, the editor.log won't get created for builds. I believe.

TaleOf4Gamers and Kiwasi like this.
  5. TozerAuthor

TozerAuthor

Thank you, Baste. Great Avatar too. I think you have answered my question when you say "Appdata, and for builds in /Data) gets replaced every time you run the game." Thank you, and have a happy holiday.