Search Unity

Programming Errors and Files

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by TozerAuthor, Dec 25, 2016.

1. TozerAuthor

TozerAuthor

Hello all,

I am a newbie to Unity, although I've been programming in such languages like C++, C# and Python for nearly 15 years. I have a question that I am having troubles finding the answer to.

When you get a programming error in Unity, either C# or JS, does the error make your program larger due to a debug file being created into your project, or does this get created elsewhere and not affect your program. I am also talking about when the error is fixed and dealt with. So, does it increase or slow your project down?

It may seem like a dumb question, but as a lot of Unity is already pre-built, I am thinking that with any debug files it creates, it might slow your projects down.

Thank you for all your replies. And I hope everyone has had a splendid Christmas.

2. gorbit99

gorbit99

Most of the programs including unity does indeed log crashes and stuff like that, either by creating a log file and then rewriting it when a new crash pops up, or creating a bunch of different files, but I'm not sure, which one unity is. But in the worst scenario it's still text, 1 byte/character wont affect filesize, and a file wont slow down anything really

3. TozerAuthor

TozerAuthor

Hello gorbit99,

Thank you for your reply. I have done a Google search and discovered that Unity has a Output file, outside the project files, where it stores all the errors from a project. I am not sure if having errors, even if fixed, will slow a game down, but it is good to know that i won't increase the size.

Thank you :).

4. Baste

Baste

The editor.log file (which exists both for when running in the editor, in Appdata, and for builds in /Data) gets replaced every time you run the game. For the editor, the last one gets put in editor-prev, for the builds, it's gone forever. So it won't get very big, unless you run for a really long time.

For release builds, the editor.log won't get created for builds. I believe.

TaleOf4Gamers and Kiwasi like this.
  5. TozerAuthor

TozerAuthor

Thank you, Baste. Great Avatar too. I think you have answered my question when you say "Appdata, and for builds in /Data) gets replaced every time you run the game." Thank you, and have a happy holiday.

unityunity