Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Programming Drunk: Your Experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MERKB, Jul 29, 2011.

1. frosted

frosted

I down a shot or two sometimes when I'm too stressed, and start worrying too much. It helps cut the tension sometimes. The quality of my code goes down from my best work - but most of the time, the code youre writing doesn't really need to be very good. In these cases, I think marginal code that actually does something productive is better than random defensive abstractions I tend to write when I'm too anxious.

I've tried just having a beer or a glass of wine instead, but the actual process takes longer and I 'feel' like I'm drinking. Taking a quick shot somehow feels more ... medicinal?

Jaqal likes this.
  2. Jaqal

Jaqal

How do I have problem with reading comprehension? Please feel free to elaborate as I am always trying to improve myself and enjoy positive criticism(which it seems you may have a problem with).

I for one don't assume to know exactly what the OP was talking about so it may be you my friend who has the problem. You know what they say about assumptions...The OP did not once mention alcohol or any drugs for that matter. Drunk and intoxicated are relative terms that can easily be used to describe an intense feeling of love or excitement. Hence the saying "love drunk". II could go on but I prefer to spend time conversation with like minded less insecure individuals who try to not many assumptions. I also have no need to work for anyone but myself and even if I did it is obvious any business you were running would most likely not succeed.

For future reference you may want to check your own level of reading comprehension before lashing out at others so quickly. Although by its nature this is a difficult subject to tackle alone. This is best done with a partner as it's quite difficult to quantify your own comprehension of a subject you don't understand. Understand?

Regards.

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Relax guys. Your both awesome. There is some interesting stuff in this thread and I'd prefer not to see it locked.

For my part I have absolutely no frame of reference to even frame the OP. Religious prohibitions around alcohol and drugs and the like.

4. Ahnuld

Ahnuld

I remember a colleague who arrived drunk @ work and started messing up the software. Never were so many bugs created on one day by one person. Good thing we had source control. There was a student a few weeks ago who tried coding while under the influence of something, he was just typing the assignment text in the editor and desperately trying to run that.

Personally I write my best code quickly when relaxed and not under the influence of anything. A glass of beer or wine has (almost?) zero effect on quality, compared to for example some renovation work going on in the street or a noisy neighbor.

dogzerx2 likes this.
  5. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Top things that boost my productivity:
    1) Motivation... or caffeine (same thing obviously)
    2) No work related/external stress or preoccupations.
    3) Being well rested.
    4) Being hydrated properly, healthy diet seems to help.
    5) Subconsciously fabricating the notion there's a ninja hiding in my room, ready to strike me the second I stop working.

jtsmith1287 likes this.
  6. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

@Jaqal :
    1. The title of this very thread: "Programming Drunk: Your Experience"
    2. The first sentence from OP: "Has anyone ever written code while intoxicated?[...]"
    3. What I said I would do: "If you were working for me and you'd be coding drunk, I'd kindly tell you to go home and relax, so that you're sober the next morning when I tell you that you're fired."

I used the term "coding drunk" and explicitly stated that I would send you home "so that you're sober the next morning".
    You then made a lengthy reply about how wrong I am because "drinking in moderation'...
    The thing here is: At no point was I talking about "drinking in moderation". I wasn't even implying that, or why else would I have to send you home in order to sober up?
    I was referring to 'coding drunk' which is exactly why I used the term 'coding drunk'.

Anyway, there is a lot of truth to what you've posted there, it's just that it was completely unrelated to what I've said.

7. LaneFox

LaneFox

Usually I do dev stuff on the weekends or nights but normally don't have much to drink if I'm just doing development.

But, when I do get tipsy and make stuff I come back the next morning and find that some things are just magically working and I don't remember even making large chunks of cool stuff. If its something that isn't working or is too hard then I usually just give up out of frustration and go play a game or something but if not and things are really clicking I just blast through and make all kinds of cool stuff. It's hit and miss. I could never bugfix while CUI... All of the new stuff I go back to look at the next morning is totally uncommented and I have to go through everything a few times before it makes sense.

8. Nossgrr

Nossgrr

It's probably the same as when I'm jamming with my band, I sound awesome!
    Then the next day you listen to the recordings you made and go... Eeesh, ya let's not do that again.

9. Billy4184

Billy4184

I'm with @ensiferum888, getting tipsy really helps me power through boring stuff, it's like my mind can narrow down to the task at hand and nothing else will (or can?) develop in the background. On the other hand it most definitely does not help me approach new problems with a creative mindset.

Getting really drunk ... well, it's like someone throwing water all over my synapses.

10. yoonitee

yoonitee

You think you're getting loads done and you're on fire.

Then the next day once you've sobered up you realise you've done jack sh*t.

11. eelstork

eelstork

A sign that I am drunk would be that, I am not coding straight.
    Can code over 3/4 cans ergo takes 5 to get me drunk.