Search Unity

Programmatically get StreamingAsset file extension

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by flip_the_unflappable, Feb 4, 2021.

1. flip_the_unflappable

flip_the_unflappable

Greetings, I have looked through the docs and forums about StreamingAssets, but have not found a solution to this problem.

Let's say I want to enable users to add assets to my custom game object via the StreamingAssets directory.

If I add this to my MonoBehavior
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [Serializable] UnityEngine.Object m_streamableAsset;
    then users are able to drag and drop assets from the StreamableAssets directory onto my custom object via the Inspector.

So far so good.

But lets say I now want to know the file extension of this asset? How can I get that?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UnityEngine.Object.name
    only returns the filename, without the extension.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Path.GetFileName()
    can't find the file with extension unless I already know it.

Is there a way to achieve this? A different class besides
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UnityEngine.Object
    that I should use?

2. GroZZleR

GroZZleR

I don't think there's a perfect solution here using the vanilla editor. Creating a custom editor would allow you to intercept the data coming from the drag and drop, which should give you a more detailed reference to the asset(s) being dragged and the data you need.

A less perfect solution would be to compile a list of all assets in the StreamingAssets folder, and compare the name of your Object to the name from the list. This would require everything to be uniquely named, or a way to gather context in another way, like
    Object texture;
    must be in the Textures subfolder or something.

3. flip_the_unflappable

flip_the_unflappable

Yes, thank you for the response!
    I considered using Drag and Drop, but using a Custom Editor worked along with AssetDatabase:

Code (CSharp):
    1. SerializedProperty streamingAsset = serializedObject.FindProperty("m_streamingAsset");
    2.             string fullPath = AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(streamingAsset.objectReferenceValue);
    Now of course it would be amazing if I could actually filter the values in the ObjectPicker when using
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  EditorGUILayout.PropertyField(streamingAsset);
    I know the API allows for a little bit of filtering, but it is not well documented nor is it feature rich enough to filter by directory or file extension... So looks like I gotta roll my own or find a plugin.