Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Programmable VFX

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by konsic, May 26, 2018.

1. konsic

konsic

What is required to know for Programmable VFX ?

Is it going to be based on new C# functions or node based as shader graph ?

2. elbows

elbows

Its not going to be in 2018.2 so this is the wrong forum.

3. konsic

konsic

In roadmap it says in summer so I assumed it will be in 2018.2.

4. elbows

elbows

Yes but I'm afraid if you see the following post, its been delayed and is now scheduled for experimental in 2018.3:

I think that post and the earlier info from the roadmap talk is the only publicly available info, so there is probably not much more info people can give you right now to help you understand exactly what skills you need. The roadmap thing clearly indicated its node graph based, and some general understanding of what kind of technical methods are used to do interesting things with gpu-based particle systems would help. But half the point of making it node based is so that people who dont want to learn, for example, every intricacy of hlsl programming, will still be able to tinker with the new VFX system. And a lot of the learning using the node-based approach is likely to be by example, and by people looking at how any samples work etc. It depends on your strengths, existing knowledge and spare time as to whether you think there is any point in the meantime in learning how this sort of thing is done only with hlsl, compute shaders etc. Some of that knowledge will be useful even with the node based approach, especially if snippets of hlsl can be used in custom nodes in the graph. But the detail matters and there is not much of that to be found for a good while yet I think.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    LeonhardP, konsic and interpol_kun like this.