Search Unity

Official Profiling and optimisation tips for mobiles

Discussion in 'Android' started by Mantas-Puida, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

We would like to share "Mobile performance handbook: thermal stability" prepared by our Mobile team.

This presentation is aimed at mobile game developers making games with Unity to:
    • help understanding why mobile performance is special
    • provide guidelines on how to reliably measure performance on mobiles
    • provide guidelines on how to optimize games for mobiles
    <teaser>

</teaser>

Note: slides include quite a lot of helpful information as commenter notes, best viewed in Powerpoint or Keynote. Google Docs also works (best in Edit mode)

Link: https://t.co/JVqHfV76Mq

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

something other than a powerpoint? not everyone has office....

Vlad_Iliescu likes this.
  3. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

You can import it into Google Drive and it allows to read you both slides and presenter notes, otherwise would Apple Keynote format work for you?

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Google drive will work fine, thankyou!

In future probably better to upload to a Unity owned drive and post a shareable link to it here rather than assume people own expensive software or have XYZ account :)

JesOb likes this.
  5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I use http://libreoffice.org Impress as Power Point replacement.

6. roodisa

roodisa

7. Netuddmeg

Netuddmeg

Above Unity3d 2017.2 you should turn off "autoSyncTransforms" on the Physics tab. Otherwise you will probably experience performance problems/loss.

8. alex1st1

alex1st1

Hi!
    Attached ppt ps pretty good, thanks!

But what about other optimization options, or how-tos?
    E.g.:
    1) I started my project from standard shader and I know that not every material in project was switched to mobile. But I have more materials in project than go to build , because a lot of materials are not used (or I believe so).

How to find non-mobile shaders with list of materials which are going to android build?

2) I experience fps drop down in intense scenes how to troubleshoot it?

9. alex1st1

alex1st1

10. o1o101

o1o101

PowerPoint o_O Also this is entire presentation is redundant for anyone who knows the basic behavior of mobile devices/computers in general. Yes, depending on the load, the phone/tablet will heat up and throttle itself & that needs to be dealt with... Yes devices heat differently, we already know that part. Why do we need a long Powerpoint for this? It could be summed up in one well written sentence.

Also, this is the last slide -
    upload_2019-11-3_15-33-14.png

In other words, "we don't actually have any useful or practical tips, all we know is that devices heat up"

For starters, how about some information for the basic player settings? For example, Disabling depth, linear rendering performance vs gamma, using 32 bit display buffer, Blit types, shader profiling etc. I know this information is out there, but would love to see it compiled together. .Out of all the useful information, tips, presentations, etc. that are available, why sticky this of all things? I would love to see proper thread collecting all the tricks, tips, and best practices people have learnt over the years.

I suppose this explains the lack of discussion on this thread.
    Just my 2 cents, maybe I am being overly critical.

Cheers

dunk7, Ruslank100, doarp and 4 others like this.
  11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The talk is from 2018 I thought? I've seen plenty of changes to help with thermals including adaptive performance on package manager, sustained performance in player options and of course DOTS.

Surely you didn't miss all of them?

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Two of those are useless. Sustained performance means pre-throttling devices even without them overheating, which I am not sure why you would want to do.

And about Adaptive Performance...
    Oh so cool that it's available on ONE device, which happens to be a very powerful one too, so even then I don't know why you'd want to use it. I'm hoping Samsung is happy with Unity that they made this package, because that is who that package is made to appease.

In any case: @deverolirc the "best practice" stuff for mobile evolves a lot, Unity cannot keep up, especially since they don't even update their manual very often and even then not all "best practices" apply to all games.

I mean I have a bunch of "best practices" I do, but I'm not sure if they would work on a game that uses a completely different set of features. As such you should not expect guides like that from Unity, because even when they produce them, they are of limited use.

13. o1o101

o1o101

Errm, not sure how this is relevant? The title of this thread is "Profiling and optimisation tips for mobiles" I didn't deny Unity making strides to improve performance, not sure where you got that from.
    What I am saying is that having this redundant PowerPoint attachment as the top sticky on the Android forum with such a title is bizarre considering all the actual useful information out there.

Imagine a new Unity user trying to figure out how he can improve performance, so he comes to the Android forum, he sees "Profiling and optimisation tips for mobiles" Great, so he downloads this Powerpoint file (lol) and learns that devices heat up & you should let it cool down, that's about it.
    Instead, if this top post actually had practical information, he might learn that he can gain performance by disabling Depth & Stencil, or he can disable the Extra Blit, or he can disable the 32 bit display buffer, or that he can enable Multithreaded rendering, etc. Even tips for something as basic as quality settings would be more useful.

That is all I am suggesting.

Agreed, of course there is no best practice for every project, it depends on a large variety of things. With that said, a thread where people share their personal experience, tricks & tips, etc. would be much more useful to sticky than something like this PowerPoint. While everyone's projects are vastly different in one sense, they can also very similar.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    coolcreator1 and NeatWolf like this.
  14. alex1st1

alex1st1

I'm too looking forward to see here real optimization guide!

15. doarp

doarp

So.... why not pick up and start sharing your tips for performance on mobile on this thread?
    They don’t have to be universal for everyone, it’s enough that they worked for you and the reader will decide if it’s applicable to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.